OT - NO POLITICS 2024 Paris Olympics

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1722844804922.png

Maj. Werner Pluskat: You know those five thousand ships you say the Allies haven't got? Well, they've got them!

Lt. Col. Ocker: And just where, my dear Pluskat, are those ships going?

Maj. Werner Pluskat: Straight for me!

Major General Gunther Blumentritt: This is history. We are living an historical moment. We are going to lose the war because our glorious Führer has taken a sleeping pill and is not to be awakened.

Sometimes I wonder which side God is on.

— in Vierville-Sur-Mer / Omaha Beach.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
View attachment 899217

Maj. Werner Pluskat: You know those five thousand ships you say the Allies haven't got? Well, they've got them!

Lt. Col. Ocker: And just where, my dear Pluskat, are those ships going?

Maj. Werner Pluskat: Straight for me!

Major General Gunther Blumentritt: This is history. We are living an historical moment. We are going to lose the war because our glorious Führer has taken a sleeping pill and is not to be awakened.

Sometimes I wonder which side God is on.

— in Vierville-Sur-Mer / Omaha Beach.
“29, Lets Go!”……”Rangers, lead the way!”

Last edited:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
That’s one hell of a way to finish Olympic Gymnastics. Silver and Bronze for the US and Rebeca Andrade goes out on top. Truly a beautiful routine.

Looks like Simone’s calf finally gave out on her so that silver is absolutely gutsy

Jordan Chiles. What an Olympics for her. Her redemption has been achieved.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Really emotional over Jordan getting bronze. She's been through hell to get here and it isn't talked about enough. Her old coach used to leave her in airports alone, would drink and drive with her in the car and then make comments about her body, her hair and even question if her mom is really her mom b/c of her skin color. She almost ended her life according to a podcast she did. Simone saw all of this and said come train with her. She had to re-learn all of her skills bc of how bad things were.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I miss McKayla Maroney
Watching her stick her vault was one of the most memorable moments of the Olympics in my life.

It means even more knowing what she and her teammates were going through at the time with that predator "doctor".

‐----‐----------------------------------------------------------------
Team USA thus far today:

Gold in Diskus

Silver in Pole Vault.

Bronze in 3x3 women's basketball. (Would of gotten gold of Brink didn't tear her acl)

But what a great day thus far for our USA athletes!

Reactions: BMC

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
im still obsessed with pommelhorse terminator

I just saw a video where they talked about his vision issues, including eye misalignment. Since I was recently diagnosed with a type of eye misalignment myself, I find his story even more interesting.

Reactions: BMC and CDJ

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I have to laugh at how salty these judges in gymnastics are. They took a .3 neutral deduction on Simone bc she didn’t salute them long enough.

Reactions: BMC

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
How the bleep did the Romanian gymnast not win a medal on floor. Second highest degree of difficulty, and an absolutely clean performance, they even made up a penalty on her.

Just criminal
Agreed. That didn't sit right with me either. Neither did the revision of the Chiles score.

I'm not an expert on this stuff, by any means, but the optics there were not good....

Reactions: BMC and JoeIsAStud

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
How the bleep did the Romanian gymnast not win a medal on floor. Second highest degree of difficulty, and an absolutely clean performance, they even made up a penalty on her.

Just criminal
She went out of bounds. There are sensors in the floor and she went out on the turn before her second pass. She inquired, just like Jordan did and it confirmed her scoring was correct.

In addition, you can have all the difficulty in the world but if you don’t execute it, your E score will go down.

That out of bounds cost her a medal.

Reactions: bruinsfan1968

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Agreed. That didn't sit right with me either. Neither did the revision of the Chiles score.

I'm not an expert on this stuff, by any means, but the optics there were not good....
Optics were perfectly fine. She went out of bounds and honestly, her artistic elements were bland.

Romania had no business celebrating prematurely like that. You could hear them announce the inquiry in the background of the broadcast.

Jordan was not fully credited with her leap/turn and they agreed and she won bronze.

Same shit happened in 2012 when Aly Raisman’s coach put in an inquiry on her balance beam routine and she won bronze ironically knocking Romania’s Catalina Ponor off the podium.

Inquiries happen in major competitions. They can also move your score backwards during the process if they find something was overcredited. This time it happened at the very end of the competition.

The Romanians are now attacking Jordan Chiles for stealing their medal accusing her of paying off the judges.

Welcome to subjective sports

• Wow
Reactions: bruinsfan1968

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

Chiles’ performed a leap worth 0.4 but the judges awarded her only 0.3 because they thought she didn’t fully complete the skill’s necessary 540° rotation. She appealed and they awarded her the extra 0.1 (the minimum it could have gone up) so she was bumped up to 3rd place. It sucks, but it was the correct call. I too, feel bad for Ana. Her performance was great.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I will never understand how guys can flip around on the pommel horse and maintain balance and not just go flying off. And that one handed move that pommel horse guy did, twice...I still don't know how he did that without breaking his wrist.

For reference, my proudest gymnastic achievement was learning to do a somersault in first grade. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 7
    Staked: $30,494.00