OT - NO POLITICS 2024 Paris Olympics

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Looks like there are some serious concerns about the Chinese swimmers. They got caught doping last Olympics so it is understandable

When I saw Pan Zhanle destroy that 100 Free WR last night by 0.4sec, my eyebrows definitely were raised. Breaking a WR in that event, by that margin, simply doesn’t happen….ever. Especially in THAT slow pool….

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
When I saw Pan Zhanle destroy that 100 Free WR last night by 0.4sec, my eyebrows definitely were raised. Breaking a WR in that event, by that margin, simply doesn’t happen….ever. Especially in THAT slow pool….
Exactly! Plus he barely qualified for the race at all. Red flags all over the place with this and it sucks for those athletes who are clean both in training and at the games

Reactions: BMC

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Exactly! Plus he barely qualified for the race at all. Red flags all over the place with this and it sucks for those athletes who are clean both in training and at the games
I want to be clear…..I’m NOT accusing the guy of cheating. He was the existing WR holder, and he’s tested clean. However, that Olympic pool is slow (his was the only WR broken in this meet) and you simply don’t destroy that time, by that margin, in that event. It hasn’t happened since the mid 70s..

He either turned in one of the greatest races in Olympic swimming history, or there’s something very odd going on.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
453808032_18453032251045089_6052388970386721920_n.jpg

453871074_18453032317045089_4957014356060817214_n.jpg

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I want to be clear…..I’m NOT accusing the guy of cheating. He was the existing WR holder, and he’s tested clean. However, that Olympic pool is slow (his was the only WR broken in this meet) and you simply don’t destroy that time, by that margin, in that event. It hasn’t happened since the mid 70s..

He either turned in one of the greatest races in Olympic swimming history, or there’s something very odd going on.
I’m with you 100%. He’s tested clean but something is odd for sure

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Going forward, World Aquatics has mandated a minimum depth of 2.5 meters (8.2 feet) for swimming and water polo events, such as the portable pool that will be installed inside SoFi Stadium for the 2028 Los Angeles Games.

Reactions: BMC and Alicat

khanomcat

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria, BC
Watching Australia v Canada in the women's basketball and noticed that one of the Canadian players looked very much like a female version of Darnell Nurse. And yep, it's his sister Kia. So you've got the Nurses and the Oleksiaks - any other Canadian siblings out there who are top level athletes in different sports?
Don't forget sister Sarah Nurse. Very good hockey player.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

"While swimming under the bridge, I felt and saw things that we shouldn’t think about too much,”

I couldn't understand the obsession with having the triathlons in Paris, meaning the swims had to to be in the filthy Seine. There have been plenty of other events showcasing the sights of the city, and the millions spent on trying to clean the river were ultimately futile, dangerous for the athletes and a huge waste of money. There are dozens of beautiful lakes in France around which the races could have been held instead. Bizarre.

Mick Riddleton

Boomer : This, gentlemen, is no time to think.
Apr 24, 2017
I mean....they had to overcome their own massive cheating scandal. They aren't exactly the Games' David.
They cannot be David; they are female, lol. But they are turning a bad story into one of resilience. FIFA took away 6 points out of a possible 9, and they still qualified second in their group undefeated. All the while doing this largely with on-field leadership and an interim coach thrown into the spotlight.

They were frustrated with a lack of sleep and appetite and the cheating stigma that was forced upon them. This round was like being down 3-0 in a series and winning it. After the last 2 victories, they proved that they were the best team, winning those games fairly. No slings, stones, or drones.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Watching Australia v Canada in the women's basketball and noticed that one of the Canadian players looked very much like a female version of Darnell Nurse. And yep, it's his sister Kia. So you've got the Nurses and the Oleksiaks - any other Canadian siblings out there who are top level athletes in different sports?
Penny Oleksiak, swimming, is the sister of Jamie Oleksiak.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1