OT - NO POLITICS 2024 Paris Olympics

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
NBC despises the Olympics in Europe as it doesn't work for US prime-time

NBC is very happy with the signals OBS is transmitting from each venue. You can tell when NBC is using the OBS feed when going to a replay you see the Olympic rings when NBC is producing you see the NBC logo.

Many of the announcers you are hearing are in Stamford, Connecticut including Kenny Albert doing water polo off a monitor

View attachment 897506
It’s stil way better than Tokyo and Peyongchang,. They will hate Cortina in 2 years. Gymnastics may be one of the sports that has their people in Paris. Same with Swimming

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It’s stil way better than Tokyo and Peyongchang,. They will hate Cortina in 2 years. Gymnastics may be one of the sports that has their people in Paris. Same with Swimming
Yes and No

In Asia, they could schedule major events in the morning so they could be live in the evening in the US

NBC controls Gymnastics and Diving, and Australia controls swimming. Track and Field is controlled by Finland. NBC controls Gof and so on.

Olympic Broadcasting Service runs the show and frankly, they do a good job.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
@Aussie Bruin Do people in Australia have good memories of 2000?

Barcelona in 1992 seems to be the gold standard of the modern era.

@Fenway yeah definitely. We're still very proud of the 2000 games. It all went well, we won a lot of medals (which always helps!), and a lot of the infrastructure that was built for it is still in use, so the legacy has been positive. Expensive for sure, but generally still seen as value for money. Maybe Sydney was just a little light on those really iconic moments - and I'd agree that Barcelona may well be the modem benchmark, although London was also very good - but it was just a good, fun solid games.

So much so that we're going round again and Brisbane is hosting in 2032.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Yeah, I was watching the Ladies synchronized diving match and the Chinese team was totally out of sync, yet they scored in the 80's and the USA. USA team was in sync but got a 72 score.
Some of the subjective events are grossly skewed. I'd have to watch the event with the commentary to see why the scores were so low for the US and apparently overscored for the Chinese team.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Reactions: MustardStew

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Over 5 points between the USA and Italy. This was with a rough beam and a disaster of a routine on the floor for one of the girls. If they hit Tuesday, they may win by a bigger margin.

Romania back in the team final since 2012.

Babajingo

Do you need Peacock to see some actual competition? Obviously you show competition when its races, but the other sports? ugh. The diving last night, all they showed was two dives from the US and two from the Chinese. OH and maybe one from GBR. All the while tons of commercials and hype pieces in between I watch the Olympics for the competition, not just to see how US does. For the swimming they didn't even introduce the other teams or even the US team members.

I go through this every Olympics. It's frustrating. They show some 20 minute corny human interest piece on an athlete and then straight to the 2 minute race. No history or other competitors.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Do you need Peacock to see some actual competition? Obviously you show competition when its races, but the other sports? ugh. The diving last night, all they showed was two dives from the US and two from the Chinese. OH and maybe one from GBR. All the while tons of commercials and hype pieces in between I watch the Olympics for the competition, not just to see how US does. For the swimming they didn't even introduce the other teams or even the US team members.

I go through this every Olympics. It's frustrating. They show some 20 minute corny human interest piece on an athlete and then straight to the 2 minute race. No history or other competitors.
Peacock is really the best way to see events in full. You can also watch live on nbc and other channels throughout the day.

Peacock is worth the money for the olympics

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
When I was in grammar school the city of Cambridge would show this film in every school in the city.

The Red Balloon (French: Le ballon rouge) is a 1956 French fantasy comedy-drama featurette written, produced, and directed by Albert Lamorisse. The thirty-four-minute short, which follows the adventures of a young boy who one day finds a sentient, mute, red balloon, was filmed in the Ménilmontant neighborhood of Paris.

OMG yes, I remember this being shown at my school!

Reactions: MustardStew

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I wish I could share the smell - Magnifique

1722231121212.png

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019