Speculation: 2024 Offseason Talk

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
My thoughts on the offseason …

While we are losing a bunch of points from Pavelski and likely Duchene, the focus needs to be on improving the D core by resigning or replacing Tanev. I think we can count on WJ and Stank to continue to improve. I think Robo and Hintz will be better this year. Benn and Seguin will probably be about the same, while Mush probably takes a step back unless we find some talented depth forwards. Overall we are going to lose some offense, but depending on our defense acquisition and Mavrik’s play, I think we can be a better all-around team.

Robo – Hintz – Seguin
Benn – WJ – Stank
Mush – Mav – Daddy/Steel
4th line

Miro – Harley
Lindell - ?
Nils, Lian, FA

I think the top line will be improved if you plug Stankoven or Seguin into the RW spot (I would prefer Seguin there to leave Stank with WJ). Even if the Pavs replacement does not surpass his point total from last season, I think the line will be better and more effective as a whole. As David Castillo’s article showed, even though Pavelski put up respectable points last year, he dragged that line down. Who know how many more points Robo and Hintz would have had if they had a more capable right winger.

The second line is gonna be an elite second line if you leave Stank on it and may take over as the first line. Benn – WJ – Stank

The third line takes a hit with Mav and Mush anchoring it and this becomes a more top heavy forward core.

Our acquisition on defense is what is really important. We saw the difference slotting Tanev into the top 4 made. Our D went from mediocre to very good. Who we pick up to fill that spot is huge.

I have faith Nill will find a good fit for that 4th defenseman and we are a better defensive team that we were in the previous regular season. I think we end up more top heavy and less potent offensively. But then we can always add more firepower at the deadline.

My 2 cents

Reactions: catters078

Azzuri

Feb 6, 2017
I personally don't like the thought that we have to replace X goals and X points from Pavs and Duch. The logic is flawed IMO.
  • It doesn't account for the ice time differences their replacements will get, especially on PP1 and PP2.
  • Not all points are made equal. We had plenty of blowouts where those players racked up points.
  • We were the 3rd highest scoring team last year. Let's say you lose 20 goals net going from Pavs/Duch to Stank/Mavs. That puts us at 10th. Florida won this year as the 11th highest scoring team. Its not the end of the world, especially when all goals aren't created equal (blowouts etc.)
  • We were 11th in GAA this year. Florida was #1 in GAA. Invest some of that scoring money into shoring up the D and you become a more balanced team. Not to mention that better D = more offensive zone time = more scoring from the rest of the lineup.
  • Pavs and Duch put up some regular season points, great. Their style didnt work in the playoffs. I'll take less regular season goals for more speed/size/youth that can show up in the post season.
Talking players in and players out in terms of goals/points just seems like overly simplifying a really complex set of factors.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I go the other direction. I don't want to invest in an expensive backup who won't play in the playoffs. I want the cheapest possible average backup.
I don't mean spend excessive money. I mean get a guy who's looking to establish themselves in the NHL and considers themselves a future starter. Not someone who's happy with the career backup tour around the league.

Reactions: LT

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
Expect some news to come out tonight on the Stars ;):DD
judge-judy-watch.gif

Reactions: Kipper 17

LT

XXXX - XXXX - XX__ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Sorry all. Was told something was coming down tonight.

Tough to know without details. Stars are very tight lipped with the media, so if it's an internal-only thing (like a Harley contract or a buy-out), we most likely won't know until the Stars themselves break the news.

northstars

May 11, 2016
Saskatchewan
If Tanev isn't signed before the start of free agency that will certainly be a bad sign. Doesn't mean the Stars won't be able to sign him but they'll likely have to up their offer if they want to retain him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad