Speculation: 2024 Offseason Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
You never know...
Some morning news for you:

-Hakanpaa WON'T be re-signed
-Harley will be getting a bridge deal
-Suter will be bought out. Ownership is pissed at him for his shitty play last year in the Vegas series and is even more mad at how he played this year in the WCF
-Tanev had a ligament issue in his foot, nothing was broken.
-At this time nothing else on our UFA;s

SolidusAKA

Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
2024-25
Robertson - Johnston - Hintz
Marchment - (Monahan/Stamkos lol) - Seguin
Benn - Bourque - Stankoven
(Steel) - Faksa - (Martinook)
FA

Harley - Heiskanen
Lindell - (Roy/Tanev/Walker)
Bichsel - (Chatfield/Edmundson/Bean)
FA

Oettinger
(Brossoit/DeSmith/Stolarz)

Buy-Out
- Ryan Suter

Trade
- Dadonov

Possible UFA Signing
F
- Vlad Tarasenko - rw
- Sean Monahan - f
- Jake Guentzel lw/rw
- Adam Henrique - lw/c
- Elias Lindholm - c/rw
- Victor Olofsson - lw/rw
- Tyler Toffoli - lw/rw
- Jake DeBrusk - lw/rw
- Anthony Duclair - lw/rw
- Jordan Martinook - lw/rw

D
- Chris Tanev- rd
- Joel Edmundson -ld/rd
- Brett Pesce - rd
- Filip Hronek - rd
- Matt Roy - rd
- Brady Skeji - ld
- Jalen Chatfield - rd
- Brandon Montour - rd
- Sean Walker - rd
- Shayne Ghostibere - rd
- Sean Durzi - ld/rd
- Jake Bean - ld/rd

G
- Scott Wedgewood
- Laurent Brossoit
- Casey DeSmith
- Anthony Stolarz
- Cam Talbot
- Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen

Not sure if any of this works, but I like it!

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland

-Suter will be bought out. Ownership is pissed at him for his shitty play last year in the Vegas series and is even more mad at how he played this year in the WCF
insiderrrrrrrrrrrrr

Suter taking that slashing penalty last night and morphing into a grocery stick was fun, I guess.

Erebor

Jan 8, 2019
This and the last years playoffs showed two things:

- phyisicality and size matter in the playoffs
- you need one difference maker at forward, a true superstar (Florida: Tkachuck, Barkov -
Edmonton: McDavid, Robertson - Colorado: MacKinnon - Vegas: Eichel)

The Stars have the depth, but they are missing THE guy.
Superstars are rare and hard to get, but I have one proposal:

Robertson for B.Tkachuk

You would trade regular season points for phyisicality, more speed and the possibility he explodes like his brother did in Florida.

SolidusAKA

Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

-At this time nothing else on our UFA
That's all good to hear. Any draft info on the draft?

Sports2

WDI
Jul 1, 2018

Thank you for the updates!

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014

If you're lying to me... I will find you

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

- you need one difference maker at forward, a true superstar (Florida: Tkachuck, Barkov -

Robertson for B.Tkachuk

You would trade regular season points for phyisicality, more speed and the possibility he explodes like his brother did in Florida.

He plays a very different game from his brother. I'd be tempted still though because I do feel his game will translate extremely well to the playoffs

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South

Robertson for B.Tkachuk

1717424259458.png

jrob is not the problem.

as for physicality, the stars are clearly being coached to not go after hits, but rather prioritize getting possession of the puck.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
2024-25
Robertson - Johnston - Hintz
Marchment - (Monahan/Stamkos lol) - Seguin
Benn - Bourque - Stankoven
(Steel) - Faksa - (Martinook)
FA

Harley - Heiskanen
Lindell - (Roy/Tanev/Walker)
Bichsel - (Chatfield/Edmundson/Bean)
FA

Oettinger
(Brossoit/DeSmith/Stolarz)

Buy-Out
- Ryan Suter

Trade
- Dadonov

Possible UFA Signing
F
- Vlad Tarasenko - rw
- Sean Monahan - f
- Jake Guentzel lw/rw
- Adam Henrique - lw/c
- Elias Lindholm - c/rw
- Victor Olofsson - lw/rw
- Tyler Toffoli - lw/rw
- Jake DeBrusk - lw/rw
- Anthony Duclair - lw/rw
- Jordan Martinook - lw/rw

D
- Chris Tanev- rd
- Joel Edmundson -ld/rd
- Brett Pesce - rd
- Filip Hronek - rd
- Matt Roy - rd
- Brady Skeji - ld
- Jalen Chatfield - rd
- Brandon Montour - rd
- Sean Walker - rd
- Shayne Ghostibere - rd
- Sean Durzi - ld/rd
- Jake Bean - ld/rd

G
- Scott Wedgewood
- Laurent Brossoit
- Casey DeSmith
- Anthony Stolarz
- Cam Talbot
- Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen

Not sure if any of this works, but I like it!

No thanks to Monahan. I'd be more tempted by a guy like Toffoli, Kane, or Guentzel. Most of all Guentzel. Toffoli and Kane might be too slow at this point.

But, we need Cup-winning experience and we need big time goal scorers. Guentzel fits that mold. Problem is, a guy like him will be so expensive that idk if we wanna get ourselves into that contract for a guy who is turning 30 before next season. Almost a PPG guy in the playoffs though over his career

Erebor

Jan 8, 2019
View attachment 879078
jrob is not the problem.

as for physicality, the stars are clearly being coached to not go after hits, but rather prioritize getting possession of the puck.
I'm not saying JRob is the problem.
But how can we get this difference make without trading Wyatt, Mav or Stank?

Those three are the future of the teams offence, on the same time they are all three rather small.
Thats why I would do everything to get Tkachuk.

joshik

GEt FaK'sEd
Jul 1, 2017
Czech Republic

this would be great

Reactions: MBTendy

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW

You mean they'll try to be bridging Harley, and hope that he doesn't sign a 7x7 deal from someone who wants him more than we do after his mediocre playoff run.

I'd also hope that Dellandrea won't be qualified, Steel gets a contract, and that they're really looking at someone who is more dynamic than Tanev to play top 4 RD, preferably two of them. Roy, Pesce, DeMelo, Chatfield?? Maybe go get Mantha or

They need some more effective bang in the wings, some punish in the D corps and just some healthier dudes in the lineup.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
You never know...
You mean they'll try to be bridging Harley, and hope that he doesn't sign a 7x7 deal from someone who wants him more than we do after his mediocre playoff run.

I'd also hope that Dellandrea won't be qualified, Steel gets a contract, and that they're really looking at someone who is more dynamic than Tanev to play top 4 RD, preferably two of them. Roy, Pesce, DeMelo, Chatfield?? Maybe go get Mantha or

They need some more effective bang in the wings, some punish in the D corps and just some healthier dudes in the lineup.
Nope.

joshik

GEt FaK'sEd
Jul 1, 2017
Czech Republic
My wishlist:
1. Buyout Suter
2. Sign Harley fast no more camp waiting
3. Sign Steel
4. Tanev magic somehow
5. Tyler Bertuzzi if hes available
6. Extend Wyatt 8 years before hes too costy
7. Esa extension we cant lose our boi

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Suter being bought out would be a big win. Sean was on the Hockey POD after game 4 and he mentioned everyone on the backend was willing to play on their off side once Tanev went down ... but Suter.

There's always been reports out of NSH and MIN that he was not much of a team guy so this wouldn't surprise me. Cut the cord and move forward without that bum.

Same with Duchene. Seems like the guys like him and all, but he strikes me as someone who struggles when games get big. After the VGK series he was on the ticket saying how mentally tough that series was, and it drained him. Ended up saying something similar to the Colorado series. Some guys can handle the pressure in the playoffs, and some guys can't. Duchene never looked that great this postseason.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB

Robertson for B.Tkachuk

I agree that you need a difference maker at forward in the playoffs but I think we have that guy. Wyatt. Look at what he did as mostly a 20 year old. I think Stank is going to be an excellent playoff performer as well.

I think we do need more physicality as well but we don’t need to go crazy in that regard.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Yeah the biggest thing is we cannot lose the plot this offseason like we did in 2016. Stay the course. There is not much wrong with this team. Edmonton beat us with their kill, same as they did Vancouver and LA. It was elite.

Agreed. We outshot them 35-10 and lost. This is not a blow up the team and fire the coaches type of playoff exit.

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006

What about Faksa? He’s so f***ing useless now.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
My thoughts:

I understand that our D needs help, especially if Tanev doesn't want to stay. We will have just 3 NHL D men signed. We can insert LiamB for a 4th, but still need 2 more, presuming Jani, Suter, and Nils are out. If the Suter buyout is true, I believe it's because he won't have Pavs in his corner if he retires. Given the lack of D, I think he stays for the last year of his contract as 3rd pair and pressbox material. We will probably lead the NHL in that category, if Nils fills the same role.

As a result, some of the calls to upgrade the bottom six or get one impact player at FW don't seem realistic, or at least worth the value in cap $ or assets to obtain. Yes, the playoffs are disappointing, but only one team wins each year, and in reality, we have had the most playoff success of most teams, albeit, ones that fell just short. As a kid in Chicago, the 1970s Bulls were winning 50 games a year but always fell short because MILW had Jabbar and won 60 a year. No playoffs or trophies until they got Jordan, which MIGHT support the idea of a superstar vs several stars and "score by committee" although I think Nill did a great job in assembling the committee.

I guess we probably could trade Radek, but it will be more likely at the TDL.

I fear it will be a mental letdown next year and we will scrape into the playoffs and go out in round 1 or 2 at best. Building on one year's disappointment is one thing, that story won't sell this year. We got close and didn't make it, with retirements some rebuilding on the fly is necessary, and with 3 virtual rookies in the lineup (Stank, Mavs, Liam) they will downplay expectations. It seems like the natural course of events to me - out with the old, in with the younger guys. But, I doubt we will play more than 3 rookies, and don't know we have any left qualified to bring up. We have 3 picks and need to rebuild our pool, so we may try to acquire more picks, maybe getting a 3rd to 5th for Nils or something.

Just my HMO.

Reactions: redbeardtx

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad