2024 Offseason Habs Thread -- news, musings, whatnot

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Basu, in his opinion the Habs would select Sennecke at 5 if Lindstrom and Demidov are gone.

He also thinks Laine is a "perfect" match.

Anytime a player's name hits the market, the Habs inquire, so he almost guarantees they'll make a call on Laine.

Godin throws out instead of Columbus taking back salary, or retaining that the Habs and Cbus switch first rounders as a "sweetener"

Basu says Winnipeg and Monahan are working on a deal.

Basu says he thinks Toffoli is looking for a 4 year deal.

Last edited:

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Spot the lie;

Evans joined the gentlemens hunting league

Hutson is skating from dawn till dusk at
his private rink

Xhekaj is chilling with Snoop

1000005020.jpg

Jul 6, 2016
Basu, in his opinion the Habs would select Sennecke at 5 if Lindstrom and Demidov are gone.

Anytime a player's name hits the market, the Habs inquire, so he almost guarantees they'll make a call on Laine.

Godin throws out instead of Columbus taking back salary, or retaining that the Habs and Cbus switch first rounders as a "sweetener"

Laine is paid over 8M $ per season. That’s a lot. But if Columbus and Habs would switch their 1st picks, and Habs would include Anderson, then Laine’s salary would be more managable. Only 3 M $ more than Anderson.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Meh, pass on Laine. I'd rather keep that flexibility and look for a better opportunity.... which doesn't have to be this upcoming season.

Reactions: 26Mats

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
And yet yesterday Friedman threw out a Theodore + Thompson for Marner trade which would add an additional 5 million dollars to an already tight Vegas cap which didn't make sense to me from a Vegas POV due to lack of available cap space for Vegas.
If Vegas made Marner trade Marchessault be done

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Laine is paid over 8M $ per season. That’s a lot. But if Columbus and Habs would switch their 1st picks, and Habs would include Anderson, then Laine’s salary would be more managable. Only 3 M $ more than Anderson.
The whole point of switching picks for Columbus is so that they don't have to take back a contract like Anderson's.

We can afford the whole 8.7m cap hit quite easily, so taking it in full means we get something good from the trade, in this example it was switching picks. If your putting Anderson in the trade (And presuming his NTC doesn't include CLB which it very well might) then you probably aren't getting any kind of sweetner since Anderson's contract is owed about the same amount of cap dollars but spread out over an extra year.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

This really intrigued me...

The whole point of switching picks for Columbus is so that they don't have to take back a contract like Anderson's.

We can afford the whole 8.7m cap hit quite easily, so taking it in full means we get something good from the trade, in this example it was switching picks. If your putting Anderson in the trade (And presuming his NTC doesn't include CLB which it very well might) then you probably aren't getting any kind of sweetner since Anderson's contract is owed about the same amount of cap dollars but spread out over an extra year.
Honestly...the Habs might be able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone here.

Take Laine's full contract of 8.7M for this year and next and they get to secure the draft pick they want.

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
Unless we include a player most wouldn't want to move, I don't see us being able to have the best offer for the names being mentioned.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I know....I am totally over reacting here, and as I said, I don't watch a ton of Edmonton games. He must do a ton of little things really well, because when I watch him, I just for the life of me can't see that multiple 100+ point player. I'm certainly an outlier, and likely wrong in every way.

I watch a ton of Oilers games. Draisaitl is an absolute gamer and McDavids Jagr. Incredible IQ on offense, extremely strong with a cannon of a shot. He would be our best forward since Lafleur and it wouldn't be all that close. He's also one of the best playoff performers of all time, but people are quick to judge based on a few games where he likely has multiple injuries. He's clearly not skating at full capacity.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
This will be the go to thread once the draft and FA news has come and gone...

We will only be left with musings and whatnot until camp during another long assed off season.

I watch a ton of Oilers games. Draisaitl is an absolute gamer and McDavids Jagr. Incredible IQ on offense, extremely strong with a cannon of a shot. He would be our best forward since Lafleur and it wouldn't be all that close. He's also one of the best playoff performers of all time, but people are quick to judge based on a few games where he likely has multiple injuries. He's clearly not skating at full capacity.
He was hurt last post season and he's off this post season. His skating is better than last year but it's his execution that is letting him down.
Maybe rushing things that fraction of a second because he's slowed down?

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Since when does a KHL team just release a young player (Michkov) from their contract? Especially a young star? I always thought they had to buy out their contract? Is there something fishy here? Anyway, I hope he’s the next Yakupov!

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Since when does a KHL team just release a young player (Michkov) from their contract? Especially a young star? I always thought they had to buy out their contract? Is there something fishy here? Anyway, I hope he’s the next Yakupov!
I hope he has a great career but I refuse to compare David Reinbacher's play based on how well Michkov does.

Reactions: schwang26 and the

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario

I read that he fell under some sort of “compassionate release” clause, due to the death of his father. No idea if that’s actually confirmed.

Reactions: schwang26

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $10,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4