2024 Offseason Habs Thread -- news, musings, whatnot

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Just highlight browsing but the compilation of his goals from two seasons ago showed a deceptive and accurate shot. I'm guessing he's the type of player that frustrates you because he doesn't shoot enough or passes when he should shoot. My only real time watching him was in the World Juniors where I thought he was really, really soft.
Yup, he never was a big scorer in college. At a buck 78. Can't see what all the hype.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The Habs wouldn't sign Marchessault to a long term deal but we know Hughes likes to have veterans, and players who have won around the young core. So if Marchessault is interested in a short 3 year deal at acceptable money to not only be a veteran but a local guy, it's not going to be a move that hurts us.

He just scored 40 goals last year, was a Conn Smythe winner last year, etc. so it's not like he's a total bum out there. They could use someone to be on a 2nd powerplay unit should Hutson start there and give him something to work with, as that 2nd unit was largely unplayable.

Outside of somehow Reinhart being interested, they aren't going to be giving out major term to anyone but I can see a reclamation project like Roslovic, a veteran on a short term deal like Marchessault and/or some size and jam on the bottom 6 like Joshua.

For the age range of marschessault, I think Hughes track record has been to get at a small term and then flip again before the contract expires.

Regardless, I'm not interested in him.

Reactions: The Real Timo

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The Habs wouldn't sign Marchessault to a long term deal but we know Hughes likes to have veterans, and players who have won around the young core. So if Marchessault is interested in a short 3 year deal at acceptable money to not only be a veteran but a local guy, it's not going to be a move that hurts us.

He just scored 40 goals last year, was a Conn Smythe winner last year, etc. so it's not like he's a total bum out there. They could use someone to be on a 2nd powerplay unit should Hutson start there and give him something to work with, as that 2nd unit was largely unplayable.

Outside of somehow Reinhart being interested, they aren't going to be giving out major term to anyone but I can see a reclamation project like Roslovic, a veteran on a short term deal like Marchessault and/or some size and jam on the bottom 6 like Joshua.
Monahan 2 years x $5M until Beck or Kapanen is ready?

Reactions: the

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
He's bound for another injury after being healthy this year and his playoff production was bad (1p n 5gp). I think this is his chance to cash in so he's going to go for maximum return. It doesn't seem like he's a right fit for Montreal.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Hard to see him only go for a 2 year deal.

As long as the medical insight we have provides confidence that his numerous surgeries have addressed the issues without high degree of further deterioration expected, Id gladly do 3@5-6M if that's what it took, [email protected] if he wanted the term.

His fit with the young core & coaching direction, his versatility to play any fwd spot, and his demonstrated ability to stay engaged even if physical limitations push him into a depth role, all buffer the risk of injury issues arising again.

Would need to jettison Dvorak (& ideally Anderson), but I think what Monahan would bring to our middle 6 the next 2-3years, as Roy/Newhook/Dach establish themselves as quality top 6 contributors and, hopefully, 2-3 of Beck/Kapanen/Mesar/Heineman/Farrell/RHP/Tuch/Xjr/Davidson etc. make the jump to middle 6 NHL regular, is a near perfect fit.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Lukas Reichel...

Something tells me he'll end up being this year's Dach/Newhook.

But rather than a pick(s), I think we'll see one of our young D swapped.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Think a team offer sheets Wifi?
I’d be very surprised if a team resorts to offersheeting again, in its current format. I’m sure all orgs have taken good note of how the Habs/ Canes saga ended.

Plus, Habs management is not in the nickel and diming business and adding $20 bonuses to contracts, Xhekaj will be handled quickly and fairly.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Should the Habs tank another year, or are we going to fight for it?
I don't think we tanked last year (insofar as tanking = actively trying to weaken the roster to improve lottery standing), so much as we weren't willing to spend assets to improve the odds of making the playoffs.

Had Dach & Newhook stayed healthy and the team was in a strong playoff spot in Jan/Feb, I bet KH would've kept Monahan & possibly even added a piece at the deadline.

Suspect it will be a similar approach this year, but with a bit more intentional roster upgrade focus this summer... If the right fit is there via trade or UFA.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Think a team offer sheets Wifi?
That would he shocking.
Lukas Reichel...

Something tells me he'll end up being this year's Dach/Newhook.

But rather than a pick(s), I think we'll see one of our young D swapped.
Someone brought him up before and he adds nothing to the Habs, so I'd be surprised if they even bothered to look in his direction

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
For the age range of marschessault, I think Hughes track record has been to get at a small term and then flip again before the contract expires.

Regardless, I'm not interested in him.
Another smallish forward that will not be able to get through the Eastern conference trap and physical play without moar bigger cast surrounding him.

For what purpose though? What possible compensation would a team be mad enough to give Xhekaj to make the Habs take it?
6M + $25 signing bonus.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
That would he shocking.

Someone brought him up before and he adds nothing to the Habs, so I'd be surprised if they even bothered to look in his direction
Been playing senior pro since 17, led an AHL team in scoring at 19, strong international play...

Coming off a bit of a bit of a downer season but finished strong and was again a top line AHL contributor at 21. He's clearly got the tools to be an everyday NHLer with legitimate top 6 if not top line ceiling.

Adds a lot to the Habs who could use at least 2 upgrades (established or potential) to the top 9.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I’d be very surprised if a team resorts to offersheeting again, in its current format. I’m sure all orgs have taken good note of how the Habs/ Canes saga ended.

Plus, Habs management is not in the nickel and diming business and adding $20 bonuses to contracts, Xhekaj will be handled quickly and fairly.
Agree completely, although before it happened I thought offer-sheets sounded like a worthwhile gamble. Had we gotten Aho maybe the perception would be different, but today offer-sheets reek of bad blood and zero results.

I posted this June 30, 2017, a day before Free Agency and two years before Bergevin fired the first shot:

As we get closer and closer to zero-hour, it becomes more and more frustrating that neither Bergevin nor anyone in the bro-GM club have the balls to make the Big Decision. Yeah, an offersheet opens up a poopstorm. It's a preemptive attack on the nicey-nice detente in the old-boys club and no doubt there will be huffing and puffing and consternation and lots of middle-age grunting noises, but too frikkin bad. If the only way to turn a good team into a contender is to play chicken with another team's budget, do it. Treat your team like a business and build it aggressively. Sooner or later one of these guys is going to figure it out. Sooner or later, one GM will see his job on the line, take a deep breath, and break the peace. And if he does it correctly, he'll walk off with the pot of gold and everyone will scramble to copy him.

I don't dump on Bergevin too often because he's an interchangeable cog with the rest of these men, no better or worse, but wouldn't it be amazing if the GM of the Habs was the one firing the first shot instead of ducking for cover?

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

I mean Carolina showed that it can work in that you get your guy, if KK developed into that good 2C like many expected then offersheeting him would be looking like a great move. It ended badly for the Canes because they mis-evaluated KK.

Offersheets work in situations where the two teams have very different ideas on what a player will become. So for Xhekaj, if a team thinks he's going to be a great #3 D, whereas MTL thinks he tops out as a bottom pairing guy then an offer sheet might happen, whether it works out all depends on whose evaluation was right.

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Man this signing was weird at the time and still looks weird with insight.

Paquette looked bummed even after signing his contract, dude pretty much didn't get dressed all season long and just bailed out.

Just a weird signing. Textbook Bergevin.

C’est pas une tapette, c’est Paquette :D

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad