2024 Offseason Habs Thread -- news, musings, whatnot

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Agree completely, although before it happened I thought offer-sheets sounded like a worthwhile gamble. Had we gotten Aho maybe the perception would be different, but today offer-sheets reek of bad blood and zero results.

I posted this June 30, 2017, a day before Free Agency and two years before Bergevin fired the first shot:
He offer sheeted on premise Canes too cheap to match.

Canes must been awful angry though. He certainly struck a nerve. They gave up a first and third, a 6 million caphit for Kotkaniemi. Which forced them to lose Trochek. Who is far superior player.

For a team drafting late first round this be the year to offer sheet Jarvis. Carolina has a bunch to sign this summer.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Even with Lehner's LTIR money, Vegas is going to have to move money to sign Marchessault. We should look into the availability of Zach Whitecloud (RD) and Keegan Kolesar. Whitecloud is signed to decent term at a fair rate. He's a good defensive d-man, and a Stanley Cup winner. Kolesar can take Pezz's spot since it looks like William Carrier might be getting some heavy offers. Kolesar can play all 3 forward positions, including center.

If Montreal is looking for a short-term UFA in top 6, I'd go with Teuvo Teravainen. He can both score and set-up plays.

Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Teravainen - Dach - Newhook
Roy - Evans - Anderson
Armia - Dvorak - Gallagher
Kolesar, RHP

Matheson - Whitecloud
Guhle - Savard
Xhekaj - Barron
Kovacevic

That leaves Hutson, Struble, Reinbacher and Mailloux in AHL, although I think Hutson makes the team, so we'll see.

Reactions: Tyson

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Even with Lehner's LTIR money, Vegas is going to have to move money to sign Marchessault. We should look into the availability of Zach Whitecloud (RD) and Keegan Kolesar. Whitecloud is signed to decent term at a fair rate. He's a good defensive d-man, and a Stanley Cup winner. Kolesar can take Pezz's spot since it looks like William Carrier might be getting some heavy offers. Kolesar can play all 3 forward positions, including center.

If Montreal is looking for a short-term UFA in top 6, I'd go with Teuvo Teravainen. He can both score and set-up plays.

Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Teravainen - Dach - Newhook
Roy - Evans - Anderson
Armia - Dvorak - Gallagher
Kolesar, RHP

Matheson - Whitecloud
Guhle - Savard
Xhekaj - Barron
Kovacevic

That leaves Hutson, Struble, Reinbacher and Mailloux in AHL, although I think Hutson makes the team, so we'll see.
And yet yesterday Friedman threw out a Theodore + Thompson for Marner trade which would add an additional 5 million dollars to an already tight Vegas cap which didn't make sense to me from a Vegas POV due to lack of available cap space for Vegas.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Draft might be reduced in the new CBA.

Marchessault and Vegas extension, the talks have started.

I'm not opposed to shortening the draft to 4 or 5 rounds. It does make sense when you think of how players taken in the later rounds don't have the percentages playing in their favor, and it sucks for them to be stuck in a team's reserve list for a few years only to be let go by them in the end, effectively blocking your chance to sign anywhere as a UFA or have the freedom to sign in Europe, no strings attached.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm not opposed to shortening the draft to 4 or 5 rounds. It does make sense when you think of how players taken in the later rounds don't have the percentages playing in their favor, and it sucks for them to be stuck in a team's reserve list for a few years only to be let go by them in the end, effectively blocking your chance to sign anywhere as a UFA or have the freedom to sign in Europe, no strings attached.

It's not great - in a league where the same teams always get the top UFAs from NCAA and have prospects forcing their way there, you are essentially handicapping teams further who rely on the draft and finding gems later to remain competitive.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I hope we stay away from Draisatl if he makes it to UFA. I admittedly don't watch a ton of Oilers regular season games, and conversely how can you not be impressed by his point totals.

But my take on the guy.

Slow.

Loses puck battles consistently.

Loses races for open pucks consistently.

Puck retention is an asset.

Vision is an asset.

No urgency to his game whatsoever.

Not worth whatever some stupid team is going to pay him.

I am convinced his point totals are over inflated by playing on the same team as McDavid.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Watching this year and last, boy that back end is so important. Listening to Maurice last night talk about buy-in and how this team was built for the playoffs. We know Suzuki and Caufield will bring it, so there's comfort there. You can see Slaf and how his intensity boils over on the world stage so you know he will bring it. Ideally, what does our roster look like when we are ready to compete in the playoffs and what will it look like when they're ready to be a winner? Who stays and who goes? Florida added OEL, Kulikov and Mikkola to their back end and subtracted Gudas and Staal.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Watching this year and last, boy that back end is so important. Listening to Maurice last night talk about buy-in and how this team was built for the playoffs. We know Suzuki and Caufield will bring it, so there's comfort there. You can see Slaf and how his intensity boils over on the world stage so you know he will bring it. Ideally, what does our roster look like when we are ready to compete in the playoffs and what will it look like when they're ready to be a winner? Who stays and who goes? Florida added OEL, Kulikov and Mikkola to their back end and subtracted Gudas and Staal.

"Locks"
(guys you can win with in prominent roles)

Top 6: Slaf, Suzuki, CC,
Middle 6: J Roy, Newhook

Top 4: Guhle

Good bets
(Would be locks, but some ? need to play out)

Top 6:
Dach (if he gets/stays healthy)

Middle 6:
Beck (if he translates well to pro hockey)

Top 4:
Hutson, RB (if they translate well to NHL)

Slaf Suzuki CC
? Dach Newhook
? Beck JRoy

Guhle - ?
Hutson - RB

Over next 2-4 years, replace the ? with astute additions (a la Bennett, Forsling & Tkachuk :naughty: ), and we're right there in the contending group.

Reactions: loudi94

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
For some reason, and similarly to the past two summers, I'm pretty sure the guy or guys we acquire is/are going to come out of the left field and next to nobody will have seen it coming.

Reactions: Rapala and BLONG7

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I hope we stay away from Draisatl if he makes it to UFA. I admittedly don't watch a ton of Oilers regular season games, and conversely how can you not be impressed by his point totals.

But my take on the guy.

Slow.

Vision is an asset.

I am convinced his point totals are over inflated by playing on the same team as McDavid.

Drasaitl is a very good player. Are his point totals inflated? Well, that typically happens with every player who gets to play with a talent like gretzky, lemieux or mcdavid.

But draisaitl can stand on his own as well.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

But my take on the guy.

Slow.

Vision is an asset.

But even if his stats are "over inflated", by how much?

We're talking about a guy with 3*50+ goal & 3*40g (one paced due to COVID shortened seasons) and 6 straight 100+ point seasons (one paced).

Even if one claimed that McD boosted his production by 20%, which is pretty aggressive, Drai is still a 40 goal/ppg player...

One whose career playoff production amazingly beats his regular season productivity 1.5ppg to 1.2.

He's a HOF in his own right and has been very durable thus far.

Cost of acquisition would be prohibitive... But if he hits UFA and we have the cap flex to consider adding him, it's an easy yes I would imagine

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Drasaitl is a very good player. Are his point totals inflated? Well, that typically happens with every player who gets to play with a talent like gretzky, lemieux or mcdavid.

This.

It's got a bit of the Jagr/Lemieux vibe to it... I'm sure many felt Jagr would taper off without Mario, but even if he never matched the 60g/150pt height he reached the last full healthy season they had together, Jagr remained dominant long as the best player on his team for another decade or so

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
But even if his stats are "over inflated", by how much?

We're talking about a guy with 3*50+ goal & 3*40g (one paced due to COVID shortened seasons) and 6 straight 100+ point seasons (one paced).

Even if one claimed that McD boosted his production by 20%, which is pretty aggressive, Drai is still a 40 goal/ppg player...

One whose career playoff production amazingly beats his regular season productivity 1.5ppg to 1.2.

He's a HOF in his own right and has been very durable thus far.

Cost of acquisition would be prohibitive... But if he hits UFA and we have the cap flex to consider adding him, it's an easy yes I would imagine
I know....I am totally over reacting here, and as I said, I don't watch a ton of Edmonton games. He must do a ton of little things really well, because when I watch him, I just for the life of me can't see that multiple 100+ point player. I'm certainly an outlier, and likely wrong in every way.

Habs

Always cheerful, happy and pleasant.
Feb 28, 2002
I know....I am totally over reacting here, and as I said, I don't watch a ton of Edmonton games. He must do a ton of little things really well, because when I watch him, I just for the life of me can't see that multiple 100+ point player. I'm certainly an outlier, and likely wrong in every way.

He's just very unlikeable , a whiner and always has his stupid mouthguard hanging out like Tkachuk. Good player, seems like a prick though. Would fit in nicely in Boston with his prickable attributes and weak chin

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
He's just very unlikeable , a whiner and always has his stupid mouthguard hanging out like Tkachuk. Good player, seems like a prick though. Would fit in nicely in Boston with his prickable attributes and weak chin
Nah....wouldn't want to face Drai that often. Keep him out west and bury him in Utah

Reactions: Habs

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
"Locks"
(guys you can win with in prominent roles)

Top 6: Slaf, Suzuki, CC,
Middle 6: J Roy, Newhook

Top 4: Guhle

Good bets
(Would be locks, but some ? need to play out)

Top 6:
Dach (if he gets/stays healthy)

Middle 6:
Beck (if he translates well to pro hockey)

Top 4:
Hutson, RB (if they translate well to NHL)

Slaf Suzuki CC
? Dach Newhook
? Beck JRoy

Guhle - ?
Hutson - RB

Over next 2-4 years, replace the ? with astute additions (a la Bennett, Forsling & Tkachuk :naughty: ), and we're right there in the contending group.

just need to have the best playmaker of the 2018-2022 period as a trade chip :sarcasm:.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
It's not great - in a league where the same teams always get the top UFAs from NCAA and have prospects forcing their way there, you are essentially handicapping teams further who rely on the draft and finding gems later to remain competitive.
The top UFAs from the NCAA usually don't amount to much and players forcing their way somehow is sort of rare and in a lot of those cases they amount to not much, either.

Reactions: Deebs and Habs

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
The top UFAs from the NCAA usually don't amount to much and players forcing their way somehow is sort of rare and in a lot of those cases they amount to not much, either.

The point I believe WTK is making is you'd see some steals that would've gotten drafted in rounds 5-7 end up going undrafted and picking a more appealing destination to go to. This ends up benefiting bigger market teams like NY, Tampa, LV etc. and hurts franchises that aren't as appealing to free agents like a lot of the Canadian franchises.

For example if the 2012 draft was only 4 rounds and Hellebyuck goes undrafted, after he dominates the NCAA for 2 years he likely signs with a bigger American market team and probably gives next to no consideration of going to a team like Winnipeg.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Agreed................the 2 Oilers remind me of Sid/Malkin.....pretty much the same thing, but one pair has 3 Cups

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
just need to have the best playmaker of the 2018-2022 period as a trade chip :sarcasm:.

Yeah, but the other two chips were acquired via waivers & via Heineman+2nd...

I bet KH will be good for at least 1-2 saavy player acquisitions between now and then ;)

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
The point I believe WTK is making is you'd see some steals that would've gotten drafted in rounds 5-7 end up going undrafted and picking a more appealing destination to go to. This ends up benefiting bigger market teams like NY, Tampa, LV etc. and hurts franchises that aren't as appealing to free agents like a lot of the Canadian franchises.

For example if the 2012 draft was only 4 rounds and Hellebyuck goes undrafted, after he dominates the NCAA for 2 years he likely signs with a bigger American market team and probably gives next to no consideration of going to a team like Winnipeg.
I get that, but to piggy back off your example, from the 5th round on since then the Jets have drafted no one of relevance. Appleton and Poolman are the best.

Also, teams can sign players, so if the Jets (or any team for that matter) can see something early on, they'll get thr jump over other teams

Players like Colin Graf who were skipped over, but have done really well in the NCAA chose San Jose, which is a nice location, but the team is bad and he knows he'll get NHL playing time there and have an easier time getting a spot.

A lot of the players signed won't be that close to the NHL, so going to the farm team cities which are mostly different from the NHL team cities, so not as good.

The problem that may arise is the 50 contract limit might need to be increased.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Exactly. Some clubs need to unearth talent later in the draft to make up for the fact they're not a UFA destination. When there's premiere college free agents, they go to the same few teams. That would extend even further if more players were UFA from less rounds in the draft.

Reactions: Leon Lucius Black

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad