Speculation: 2024 Off-season Team Discussion

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Doan will start the season with Utah
They will go with 14Fs and 7Ds
They will not acquire Ceci from the Oil
The roster is pretty much set to start the season

All other talk it seems to me is click bait for Clean Hits!
Calm down. We’re BARELY disagreeing and it’s on the last forward spot and the last defense spot. Use this as practice in case somebody actually disagrees on something. :)

Reactions: Summer Rose

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Calm down. We’re BARELY disagreeing and it’s on the last forward spot and the last defense spot. Use this as practice in case somebody actually disagrees on something. :)
Utah most likely will wait until how other teams are performing (or should I say not performing relatively speaking) and how Utah, itself, is at in the standings before deciding on making a trade, unless if a bad injury occurs, which we all don't want to think about.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Can not believe O’Brien got a 3 year extension just because he called himself spicy tuna to the new Utah crowd. At most, he should’ve received a 1 year extension. Now Doan and Guenther will more than likely have to sit in the press box while Tourigny puts his favorites LOB and Carcone in because of “matchups” from time to time.

Bear likes O'Brien........ a lot.

Bill Armstrong has also said over and over he will cook his prospects..... a lot.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I’m not so worried about LOB, personally. If there’s one player who I don’t mind being scratched more often than not, it’s him. Wouldn’t want a younger player to be the constant healthy scratch.
I can see LOB doing some radio and TV.. or maybe something in the arena…to get the crowd going etcI think that spicy tuna thing may help him down the road.

Reactions: Puckrobber

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I can see LOB doing some radio and TV.. or maybe something in the arena…to get the crowd going etcI think that spicy tuna thing may help him down the road.
The term really just prevents anyone from taking him on waivers imo. Its a bad contract on paper.

Reactions: Mosby

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Cool visual here...

1722983375227.png

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I'm worried about Guenther.
Is he anorexic?
@ 6'2" & 144 lbs ain't gonna make it in the NHL, he needs to put about 40lbs.

And yes, I am making fun of Brad at his expense, but good article nonetheless!

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
Is he anorexic?

where did you see that he weighs 144 lbs?

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
cleanhits.substack.com
where did you see that he weighs 144 lbs?
Me! I did it!
Is he anorexic?

That's what happens when you write articles well past your bedtime. Thanks for catching it though ha

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I like to trade for Gudas if it is possible to get a fair trade. The Ducks are just above the floor and I doubt they want the Weber contract.

Reactions: Dog

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
I like to trade for Gudas if it is possible to get a fair trade. The Ducks are just above the floor and I doubt they want the Weber contract.
In the 2023 Stanley Cup final, which Gudas played in for the Panthers, Gudas was a beast. I have advocated his coming to AZ/UT since. What an add that would be. Get Sam Bennet from Florida to go with Gudas, and Im moving to SLC.

Reactions: Schemp

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
cleanhits.substack.com
Man the Ducks have certainly not been rebuilding correctly. I can't quite place it either. They have younger guys like Terry and Zegras who can produce and brought in vets. They just can't seem to turn over the engine.

Goaltending has been a huge issue and the defense. But on paper they should have been better than us last season. They may have boarded too many of their picks, also weren't able to acquire as many as us so the ones they had were a bit more scarce.

Still shows you what a fine line the rebuild is and how hard it is to get right.

Reactions: LittlePipes

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Carlson and McTavish are both incredible assets. Both were graduated to the NHL at the earliest reasonable moment. They're not adding in any extra baking time. I'm not saying "rushed" but they're not taking extra caution.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
The Anaheim outlook could change every quickly if a few of the right players pop off this season.

I think Utah’s rebuild gets a little underrated too because most casual observers have written off Simashev and But as top prospects. And with the sheer volume of picks, later 1sts like Lamoureux and Beaudoin are a bit forgotten, even though they’d be the stars of the show in other pools.

Deep down, I do worry that we have a bunch of really good pieces and no great pieces. If Cooley, Guenther and Sergachev can all surpass expectations by a decent margin this season, I’ll feel a lot better. Will also be watching Hayton’s progress closely.

This is a really important year for so many of the most important pieces.

Reactions: Grimes

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
The Anaheim outlook could change every quickly if a few of the right players pop off this season.

I think Utah’s rebuild gets a little underrated too because most casual observers have written off Simashev and But as top prospects. And with the sheer volume of picks, later 1sts like Lamoureux and Beaudoin are a bit forgotten, even though they’d be the stars of the show in other pools.

Deep down, I do worry that we have a bunch of really good pieces and no great pieces. If Cooley, Guenther and Sergachev can all surpass expectations by a decent margin this season, I’ll feel a lot better. Will also be watching Hayton’s progress closely.

I can see Tij, Smashev, and But be ready to play pro next season.

This season, I expect them to make the playoffs. It will be about evaluation. How each player rises up to each challenge.
Hayton is the biggest question mark.
Another are the top 3 forward lines all going to be an offense threat while being defensive resposible?
Will the defense click with minimal lapses and contribute offense?
Can the overall team defense drastically improve the stats from last season?
Will the goalie tandem stats look like Vezina qualifiers thanks to the team's defensive performance?

I do believe that the overall team's desire to compete will drive this team to be one of the biggest surprises this upcoming season!

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
cleanhits.substack.com

Agreed about Anaheim, but they probably shouldn't have been a bottom 3 team last season with how they have been building and the types of players who are on the roster both young and old.

They messed up big by having crappy coaching for all those years. I don't doubt that they would be further a long and guys like McTavish would be further a long if they had someone like AT. They NEED the prospects to start showing more this season or they may start going through a rebuild 2.0 ala Buffalo. Seems like they have even signaled it could be going that direction with the Sennecke pick.

As far as our team, I agree in the worry of not having a true top 15 type prospect. But right now that's all it is. A rank. If Cooley or Guenther put up 80 points in two more seasons it won't matter. Or if Tij becomes a Pasta caliber winger. It sucks not having the same caliber of draft picks that teams like Chicago, San Jose and Anaheim have had but besides Bedard it's all just a number right now.

Reactions: rt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad