Speculation: 2024 Off-season Team Discussion

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Well, personally I'd take Tampa/Sunrise/NYC/San Jose/Dallas/Phoenix/Anaheim/Nashville/LosAngeles all over SLC
Dunno Tampa & Sunrise. NYC is a pit. The $$ areas of SJ are nice but the rest is oof. Anaheim is just concrete everywhere...nothing beautiful about it...at all. Outside of LA, is nice but LA city...no way.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
It’s very strange that AM still owns Tucson yet BA and JFJ are still operating it. Say they sign an AHL guy for 2 million a year. Who foots that bill?

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
It’s very strange that AM still owns Tucson yet BA and JFJ are still operating it. Say they sign an AHL guy for 2 million a year. Who foots that bill?
Utah. The arrangement is no different than before the Coyotes formed the Roadrunners, when they partnered up with the Springfield Falcons, San Antonio Rampage, or the Grizzlies, etc.

I believe Meruelo is in charge of the arena and ticket sales but not much else.

Reactions: Jakey53

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
You want to keep Keller happy first get frickin Bill to give him the C and say the Coyotes are his team!! Yes in time the core of UT will change to Coolie or someone else but please Bill give Keller the credit he's earned.... Unless he's playing to get traded lol but that's a different post ;)

Edit yes I know it's not Coyotes but hate calling them the team.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Well, personally I'd take Tampa/Sunrise/NYC/San Jose/Dallas/Phoenix/Anaheim/Nashville all over SLC

and I'd probably take LA over SLC since I'd live in Pacific Palisades or Manhattan Beach
I find most of this talk comical (not directed at you @Vinny Boombatz rather these discussions aobut what cities a player will want to play in). As a Jets' fan (and former Winnipegger) I have endured years of comments about Winnipeg being undesirable / least favourite place in the league.

These players live and breathe hockey for almost 10 months. Make enough $$ they can live in the preferred areas of any market they are in AND can live anywhere in the summer.

What does the nightlife matter? They are professional athletes where health and fitness is maintained 365. It is not the 1970's when players smoked in the dressing room and drank coke on the bench.

And if you have a family, do you want to live in the biggest cities in NA? Some would. Surely some would prefer not to. But, see point above, they can live pretty much anywhere no matter where they play.

ps I have extremely limited personal insight into most of the cities in the NHL. I have personal preferences but cant imagine demanding a trade because I dont like the city.

Last edited:

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I’ve thought that if BA can create the feeling of a powerhouse program of excellence tucked away in the mountains of a smaller market, where it’s just all hockey all the time, and the appeal is the winning, we’d get exactly the type of players we want and none of the player type we don’t want.

Look at what a magnet Detroit has been for big time players over the last 30 years. Is there a less appealing city in pro sports?

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I find most of this talk comical (not directed at you @Vinny Boombatz rather these discussions aobut what cities a player will want to play in). As a Jets' fan (and former Winnipegger) I have endured years of comments about Winnipeg being undesirable / least favourite place in the league.

These players live and breathe hockey for almost 10 months. Make enough $$ they can live in the preferred areas of any market they are in AND can live anywhere in the summer.

What does the nightlife matter? They are professional athletes where health and fitness is maintained 365. It is not the 1970's when players smoked in the dressing room and drank coke on the bench.

And if you have a family, do you want to live in the biggest cities in NA? Some would. Surely some would prefer not to. But, see point above, they can live pretty much anywhere no matter where they play.

ps I have extremely limited personal insight into most of the cities in the NHL. I have personal preferences but cant imagine demanding a trade because I dont like the city.
Some locations are more attractive than others, Vegas & NYC seem to be extremely popular destinations. It's not a coincidence that they're popular with athletes.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Some locations are more attractive than others, Vegas & NYC seem to be extremely popular destinations. It's not a coincidence that they're popular with athletes.
Of course.

And I am probably naïve and in the minority thinking it is a privilege to get to play hockey for a living and that location should take a back seat to things like opportunity to WIN.

We see it a bit...Edmonton is now a destination because of McDavid.

I get to an extent US players not wanting to play in Canada (mostly because of taxes). I would just hope most players are happy as **** to play that location is not a top priority.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Marner has decent playoff numbers. They are just not a built for playoffs team and, if they were, no one would be talking about Marner. However, they struggle and their fanbase always has to have a whipping boy and this year Marner is their guy. Ultimately, Tavares was the critical mistake contract which led to lesser mistakes such as losing Kadri and Hyman and never having money for defensemen or goalies. I expect they will keep Marner as near impossible to get equal value for him. They may as well run it back one final year with the 4 and then take Tavares money to build a competitive team. Also, they could be sneaky good with Berube and these changes...

View attachment 893157
Exacty on Tavares...if TOR had lets say, a Sam Bennett or similar player in his position instead of Tavares and had been able to keep guys like Kadri and Hyman, I think they would have already had much more playoff success. I have nothing to back that up it's just a feeling...I think they got caught chasing stars around for a while there and lost the vision of what a Stanley Cup winning team really looks like. Imagine if instead of Tavares and Domi they had Kadri and Bennett...and instead of Bobby McMann they had Zach Hyman. Instantly they're a more deep, better team to me that wins more playoff games and no one is talking about Marner. If Utah doesn't build their team the right way and insulate guys like Keller and Maccelli with depth and grit, and glue type players then a few years down the road the same conversations will be had about them that are being had about Marner now...

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
Toronto brought in Tavares for 11M and then their young players at the time in Matthews, Marner, Nylander could point to his contract when it was time to negotiate their own deals.

Same thing would happen here with Marner. If he is making 12M, it's a helluva lot easier for Guenther, Cooley, etc., to ask for 9-10M on their next deal. And then all of a sudden you're out of cap.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't know what you are missing but...I have been most everywhere this side of the Mississippi. SLC is the most beautiful "big city" I have ever been to. It is very clean, safe with a grid based, easy to understand, road system. The local economy is strong and their passion for the Jazz is noticeable even if you are not looking. It is definitely better than the cities you mentioned and honestly, if there is a better metro in the U.S., I would like to know what it is. We are not long removed from the last Keller is unhappy and wants to be traded stuff which was clearly false. I will believe he is unhappy now, when I hear him say so.
Beauty is only skin deep.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

It's a known fact that players with a family prefer warmer climates. Players probably don't care much but the WIFE who has to be alone a good part of the time taking care of the kids do care.

TheLegend

They call me “Buzz”.
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Craig Morgan 30 minutes ago:

Three RFAs left to sign.

- Both sides working on a Hayton contract.
- No progress on Soderstrom.
- Nothing on Sokolov.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
Do we revisit the Victor Soderstrom for Logan Stanley idea?

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
He's an NHL caliber player but the best he can ever hope for with Utah is press box duty for injury replacement.

Not sure if he has any trade value. A trade would be best for the player. That's probably best for the team too because I imagine he'll be feeling disgruntled with the lack of opportunity. You wouldn't want something like that impacting the dressing room.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I am ok with that still. Jets need RHD in the pipeline. Stanley has probably shown more to date...about 3x the number of games. And you cant teach size. UHC probably needs to add.

Also wonder about a bigger deal with McGroarty going to Utah?

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I’m thinking I’d much rather have an RD.

Maybe Carcone and Soderstrom for Clifton?

I am ok with that still. Jets need RHD in the pipeline. Stanley has probably shown more to date...about 3x the number of games. And you cant teach size. UHC probably needs to add.

Also wonder about a bigger deal with McGroarty going to Utah?
Man just not sure about giving up major assets for another winger prospect.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I’m thinking I’d much rather have an RD.

Maybe Carcone and Soderstrom for Clifton?

Man just not sure about giving up major assets for another winger prospect.
Fair. I am thinking McGroarty could be a C but he probably isnt at this stage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad