Speculation: 2024 Off-season Team Discussion

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Imagine what point totals Keller would get having Mathews at center rather than Hayton or Bjugstad. Toronto would love a Keller for Marner swap.
Marner didn't play with Matthews much last year. Marner stirs the drink on whatever line he's on, check Tavares stats when they play together.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
He really needs to work on how many penalties he takes. Too much of a liability right now then a benefit.

On January 24th, LOB took 3 minor penalties against the Panthers. He then took 1 minor in the remaining 29 games. I suspect this concern was resolved after that Florida game and suspect it included a gottaminute from Bear.

samabam

May 3, 2006
Munich
Marner didn't play with Matthews much last year. Marner stirs the drink on whatever line he's on, check Tavares stats when they play together.
Wouldn't that in turn mean that the opposing defense would have to deal with two dangerous scoring lines, thus makung it harder on the D? You saying marner would be better than Keller on the Utah roster is pure speculation

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Wouldn't that in turn mean that the opposing defense would have to deal with two dangerous scoring lines, thus makung it harder on the D? You saying marner would be better than Keller on the Utah roster is pure speculation
About the same as folks who say Keller will flourish in Toronto?? Isn't speculation and intuition kinda all we have?

samabam

May 3, 2006
Munich
About the same as folks who say Keller will flourish in Toronto?? Isn't speculation and intuition kinda all we have?
Yes of course it is, however this
The point and will be that Marner is an upgrade on Keller. Imo not worth the contract he will be wanting but a considerable upgrade. He is the rare winger that drives a high end line player.
Is stated as a fact

Reactions: Prarievarg

finkelsteinberg

Jul 1, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
I don't think Rob Reinhart is a real person.

1. The photo looks fake and a reverse check links it to several other Twitter accounts.
2. There is no record of his past work with SI or Bleacher.
3. As far as I can tell, the "New York Herald" is not a thing.

This appears to be a sophisticated troll account.
It also seems crazy that some yahoo in NY has this and not one of the Toronto media's many "big" players have it. It's shit.

FWIW: The New York Herald was an old newspaper and this new one's website was registered with Squarespace in May (I would think any respectable news source would not be using Squarespace). I also did the reverse image look up and it was linked to 3 other twitter accounts but as far as I could tell it was just where he was posting on them. The picture does look pretty suspect.

I don't think it is a troll account but I do think it is some form of BS for revenue, click-bait non-sense and he is trying to use SI/BR and New York Herald as some form of credibility.

Reactions: AZviaNJ and Mosby

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
One player I keep circling back to is Patrik Laine. I am very curious as to the price tag. Being in an environment like Utah would certainly help his personal issues too. Remember too that Carolina and Waddell, who is now in CBJ, supposedly likes Schmaltz.

Reactions: lanky

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
One player I keep circling back to is Patrik Laine. I am very curious as to the price tag. Being in an environment like Utah would certainly help his personal issues too. Remember too that Carolina and Waddell, who is now in CBJ, supposedly likes Schmaltz.
He's gotta be available for almost nothing I would think and might love being slightly hidden.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
“Bro, just trust me! Marner’s the real deal! Believe me, he’s worth a star player AND your draft picks AND some extra! We just need him gone as fast as possible.” Nonstop for weeks and completely serious, too.
Marner would arguably be the best player to ever be a Coyote / Utah.

Issue is the contract status and cost to acquire is detrimental.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Send Soderstrom to San Jose.

Trade a 2nd to TBL for Jeannot and Raddysh.

Trade a 2nd, 3rd, and Soda to SJS for Ferraro.

Sign Vincent Desharnais as a UFA

Moser-Durzi
Ferraro-Raddysh
Valimaki-Kesselring
Desharnais

Is Soderstrom still considered an NHL prospect at this point? Numbers have gone up every season in Tucson but he has appeared in just 53 games over four seasons. And I believe he was drafted by the Coyotes prior to the current regime. Utah can retain his rights with a qualifying offer but with so many young defensemen and cap room to sign or trade for veterans does he still have a way to make the Utah roster?

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
He's gotta be available for almost nothing I would think and might love being slightly hidden.
If we can get him for (almost) free and Bear can get him back closer to his potential then it's a clear win.
It's a gamble with Smith's dollars so Bill would probably need to sit down with Laine first to see how motivated he is.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
23-24 Arizona Coyotes scored 254 goals placing them 16th in the league in scoring.

Guenther scored 18g in 45gp over 82 games. That .4 goals per game would've added 15g over 82gp and would give the Coyotes 269g placing last year's Coyotes in top 10.

Next year, Bjugstad types will likely regress but expecting Cooley, Guenther, Doan, Maccelli etc. to increase production.

Point being, this is already a top of the league scoring team and spending resources on scoring wingers like Marner and Laine should just not be a priority as this is just not a team need.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
If we can get him for (almost) free and Bear can get him back closer to his potential then it's a clear win.
It's a gamble with Smith's dollars so Bill would probably need to sit down with Laine first to see how motivated he is.
Probably worth a 2 year gamble on fan interest alone.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
It’s funny that Leafs homers suddenly need everyone to understand that this player they are desperate to get rid of is actually elite and one of the best players in the NHL.

Keller-Hayton-Schmaltz
Crouse-Cooley-Guenther
Maccelli-Bjugstsd-Doan
Kerfoot-McBain-UFA

Trade/UFA-UFA/Trade
Moser-Durzi
Valimaki-Kesselring
Kolyachonok

Ingram
Vejmelka
What do you see as Doans upside? And what do you see as what he is most likely to become?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I didn't realize David Perron is a UFA.

Not sure how much he has left in the tank but he had good numbers last year in Detroit. Always been a big fan of his. Would love to bring him to Utah. Could definitely use his agitating qualities and veteran experience in the room too.

There is some connection there too as he was with Armstrong in St. Louis.

Reactions: kickback256

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad