Red Sox/MLB 2024 Off-Season Part 3: Full Throttle Edition: Sale Dealt to Braves

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
They could have easily moved him at the deadline for far better if they wanted. Or they could have let him walk because it's not a big deal for this organization to eat money. Why do so many fans like yourself get geeked up over this team essentially getting worse and dumping salary? It's a weird f***ing dynamic, man. Really weird. Like yeah!! A billionaire jackwagon just saved some money and made the team worse in the process. I love when his profit margin goes up and the talent on the field goes down. Where can I get tickets?

Yikes.

How does this move make the team worse?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
How does this move make the team worse?
How does it not?

At SS it is, at 2B it will be fine. He’s a very highly regarded talent. There’s a reason why multiple impartial outlets/evaluators posted in here are giving them an A on this deal.

Sale has started 31 games in 4 years and got a stress fracture when he tried to dial his fastball up this year, are you really going to pretend you’re mad about this? I get being mad at ownership. This trade is objectively a good one though. He raked in 2022 when they needed him to jump straight to the majors from AA to cover for Albies and then last year he was blocked because he is very clearly not a SS and the Braves have Albies at 2B and Riley at 3B. He proceeded to demolish the ball in AAA as a 22 YO.
Was a highly regarded talent but his stock has tumbled because his glove is made of stone. Why else would the Braves move him for 1 year of a guy like Sale who’s a walking injury risk?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Anyway, I think we're mostly all happy with the trade, myself included. And there's no question that Sale's contract was a complete anchor and probably cost us the chance to resign one of Mookie or Bogaerts, which sent this organization into a tailspin. He was also very fragile and gave next to nothing but frustration since 2019.

However, can we at least appreciate the two great years he gave us in 2017 and 2018, and how he made Manny Machado look like a total clown on the World Series clinching K?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
He’s brutal defensively, regardless of where he plays. That’s why he’s never been an everyday player for Atlanta despite being elevated to the roster going on 3 years now.
He's 22 years old! He's a natural 2nd baseman who is unsuited to long term play at SS and was blocked at 2B by Ozzie Albies.

This is just a bad faith argument

Reactions: dangermike and CDJ

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Anyway, I think we're mostly all happy with the trade, myself included. And there's no question that Sale's contract was a complete anchor and probably cost us the chance to resign one of Mookie or Bogaerts, which sent this organization into a tailspin. He was also very fragile and gave next to nothing but frustration since 2019.

However, can we at least appreciate the two great years he gave us in 2017 and 2018, and how he made Manny Machado look like a total clown on the World Series clinching K?
No it did not. Sox have plenty of cash and could have done all of it if they wanted instead they chose to use the sale deal as an excuse. They also went out and spent crazy money on Price and then used Betts to dump it. Don’t buy the excuses. They have plenty of cash but aren’t spending it.

Reactions: The National

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
How does it not?

Was a highly regarded talent but his stock has tumbled because his glove is made of stone. Why else would the Braves move him for 1 year of a guy like Sale who’s a walking injury risk?
Still is a highly regarded talent, and again they moved him because he’s blocked by all stars under great contracts. If Sale is such a walking injury risk then how is subtracting him and adding a 22 YO top young player with 6 years of control a bad move?

And again, I get being mad at ownership. This has nothing to do with that though.

Reactions: dangermike

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
He's 22 years old! He's a natural 2nd baseman who is unsuited to long term play at SS and was blocked at 2B by Ozzie Albies.

This is just a bad faith argument
I’ve been watching Grissom since he got called up because he was a keeper in one of my leagues I play in. He’s not an every day player at this point, but you’ll see for yourself.
Still is a highly regarded talent, and again they moved him because he’s blocked by all stars. If Sale is such a walking injury risk then how is subtracting him and adding a 22 YO top young player with 6 years of control a bad move?
moving on from sale is fine but it also makes the team worse because despite his injuries he was still one of their best pitchers last year, sadly. And the team has shit for pitching to start with so trading one of their best ones for at best an average second baseman and most likely a platoon player makes them worse.

Reactions: smithformeragent

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’ve been watching Grissom since he got called up because he’s a keeper in one of my leagues I play in. He’s not an every day player at this point, but you’ll see for yourself.

moving on from sale is fine but it also makes the team worse because despite his injuries he was still one of their best pitchers last year, sadly. And the team has shit for pitching to start with so trading one of their best ones for at best an average second baseman and most likely a platoon player makes them worse.
If he doesn’t play how does it make them worse? He’s averaged 9 starts a year over almost half a decade. Obviously they still have to keep adding to the rotation, Breslow seems intent on doing it with some of our prospects too. It’s still December

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If he doesn’t play how does it make them worse? He’s averaged 9 starts a year over almost half a decade. Obviously they still have to keep adding to the rotation, Breslow seems intent on doing it with some of our prospects too. It’s still December
If he does how does it not? He started 20 games for them last season. So again they need to backfill.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If he does how does it not? He started 20 games for them last season. So again they need to backfill.
They do need to add to the rotation. But they also needed a 2B too. It’s December, let’s see what they do. If they don’t they will get rightly crucified. Something tells me they aren’t done with rotation adds though.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
They do need to add to the rotation. But they also needed a 2B too. It’s December, let’s see what they do. If they don’t they will get rightly crucified. Something tells me they aren’t done with rotation adds though.
I get why you say that and I agree, but I simply don’t see Grissom as the answer. I also think that the most attractive part of Grissom being their guy is his short salary of 700k and years of team control more than what he can or cannot do on the field. In reality their search for an every day second baseman shouldn’t involve a big question mark or a guy that’s never been that guy. It’s the f***ing Sox, they can afford an actual proven and known commodity. It’s flat out insulting to see them cutting costs after being a collective bag of shit 3 years running.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I get why you say that and I agree, but I simply don’t see Grissom as the answer. I also think that the most attractive part of Grissom being their guy is his short salary of 700k and years of team control more than what he can or cannot do on the field. In reality their search for an every day second baseman shouldn’t involve a big question mark or a guy that’s never been that guy. It’s the f***ing Sox, they can afford an actual proven and known commodity. It’s flat out insulting to see them cutting costs after being a collective bag of shit 3 years running.
I’d rather they get Grissom than give Merrifield a contract and he’s the best FA 2B

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
How does it not?

let’s discuss Grissom October 1 next year and see how he turned out

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
He’s brutal defensively, regardless of where he plays. That’s why he’s never been an everyday player for Atlanta despite being elevated to the roster going on 3 years now.
Um I would bet you never heard of him till the trade

You have 0.0 knowledge of him

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
The Celtics waited until the right time to blow over the luxury tax and it’s working pretty well for them. I wouldn’t mind the Red Sox following suit.

Trade kenley as I think we have a surplus of value there and he’s always worried me injury and performance wise, sign a Paxton type, pull off a starting pitching trade - let’s see what young guys wanna push people out after the all star break. Could be a fun year. Sky is definitely not falling yet.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I’m sending all this to Lou who agrees with me

You never heard of this guy and you come here to shit all over him

Nice

1704116011372.png

IveGotToBeMe

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
RI
I can't believe there are this many posts about a young 2B who has shown potential to be an everyday second baseman (something we haven't had since Pedroia). Oh, by the way, this trade was more about dumping Sale when they could than acquiring a second baseman. Someone suggested earlier that they should have waited until the trade deadline to move Sale...by then he would have been on the DL twice (or more) and likely have pitched a total of 4 2/3 innings due to injuries. IMO a great move by Breslow to make the trade when it presented itself. And, not too bad to get a potential long term solution at 2B in the process.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
How does it not?

So, your take is this is a bad deal for both teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad