Patriots/NFL 2024 Off Season: Free Agency, Draft Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Yeah he doesn’t wanna come here because it’s Foxboro MA and we kinda stink
I will say this again. He's on a SB contending team right now. If he cared about winning he would take less money to stay there. Taking less money from Pittsburgh than New England just to go play with Justin Fields or a washed Russell Wilson is certainly a choice. The whole thing just does not make sense. In general I don't think players are lining up to play in Pittsburgh/Cleveland if they are concerned about nightlife etc.

Reactions: bbfan419

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I will say this again. He's on a SB contending team right now. If he cared about winning he would take less money to stay there. Taking less money from Pittsburgh than New England just to go play with Justin Fields or a washed Russell Wilson is certainly a choice. The whole thing just does not make sense. In general I don't think players are lining up to play in Pittsburgh/Cleveland if they are concerned about nightlife etc.
Let's wait till next year, with some luck, CeeDee Lamb, DJ Metcalfe, Tee Higgins, C. Godwin will be available.
Will only cost us money.

Reactions: bbfan419

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Deal verbally done from people in Pitt. They need to figure out compensation.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Deal verbally done from people in Pitt. They need to figure out compensation.
Waiting to see numbers floated from all teams interested (if they can be believed)

So bizarre to me that Aiyuk just can't wait to get out of SF to go to the Steelers. But I also get any NFL player wanting security over playing the contract out and risking injury.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I think people are underestimating the attractiveness of playing for Pittsburgh. They're one of the most stable and well respected franchises in the NFL, with one of the most respected coaches in the league. Yeah, the nightlife sucks, but its not like these players got a lot of free time on the weekends....

Also, the Steelers were 10-7 last year (Same record as Houston. KC was 11-6 BTW). With Kenny Pickett, Mason Rudolph and Mitch Trubisky as their QB. Yeah, Fields and Wilson aren't great, but they're damn sure better than what they had, and are worth at least an extra win or 2....

Pittsburgh had a pretty decent football team last year, playing in the toughest division in the league. Aiyuk would have a definite impact there, and probably gets them into the playoffs. I think its incorrect to think that a player who goes there, doesn't care about winning.

Last edited:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I think people are underestimating the attractiveness of playing for Pittsburgh. They're one of the most stable and well respected franchises in the NFL, with one of the most respected coaches in the league. Yeah, the nightlife sucks, but its not like these players got a lot of free time on the weekends....

Also, the Steelers were 10-7 last year (Same record as Houston. KC was 11-6 BTW). With Kenny Pickett, Mason Rudolph and Mitch Trubisky as their QB. Yeah, Fields and Wilson aren't great, but they're damn sure better than what they had, and are worth at least an extra win or 2....

Pittsburgh had a pretty decent football team last year, playing in the toughest division in the league. Aiyuk would have a definite impact there, and probably gets them into the playoffs. I think it’s incorrect to think that a player who goes there, doesn't care about winning.
This.

We’re last in power rankings and the least desirable franchise in the NFL. The area is cold and expensive of course they’d rather rent the biggest house imaginable in Pittsburgh for 12 months for like 3k per than be looking at 10x that here.

The NFL rewards bottoming out and I think the 3 other AFC East teams are seriously on borrowed time. First year after BB is ideal timing for one more throw away season.

I think there will be some good WRs available next winter it won’t be like the year we signed JJSS when there was nothing.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Waiting to see numbers floated from all teams interested (if they can be believed)

So bizarre to me that Aiyuk just can't wait to get out of SF to go to the Steelers. But I also get any NFL player wanting security over playing the contract out and risking injury.

My bet is the money each team is/was offering is so close (or equal) Aiyuk could just pick where he personally wanted to go, but Pitt wasn't giving SF what it wanted until they felt pressure.

As for why he wants out of SF seems like there's bad blood there and they have to start making tough decisions on who they won't pay.

Reactions: Johnnyduke

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Pittsburgh had a pretty decent football team last year, playing in the toughest division in the league. Aiyuk would have a definite impact there, and probably gets them into the playoffs. I think its incorrect to think that a player who goes there, doesn't care about winning.

As much as we like to joke about them, playing with Tomlin and Wilson is appealing to players.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
As much as we like to joke about them, playing with Tomlin and Wilson is appealing to players.
Tomlin maybe but I'm not sure on 2024 Russell Wilson. He wasn't even well liked by teammates in his Seattle prime. There's always been something about him.

It's not about wanting to go to Pittsburgh over Cleveland/New England in regard to wanting to win. Obviously if he chose New England he isn't doing it to be on the best team. I happen to think Cleveland will be better than Pittsburgh this year. But the hell bent approach to getting out of SF for every last penny shows that winning can't be that important to him overall. Pittsburgh is nowhere near SF regardless of some inflated record from last year. The same Steelers that lost to Bailey Zappe at home.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Tomlin maybe but I'm not sure on 2024 Russell Wilson. He wasn't even well liked by teammates in his Seattle prime. There's always been something about him.

I agree with you in that as a WR I wouldn't want to deal with Pitt's QB situation, either, but Aiyuk isn't choosing from 31 other teams. It seems it was really only 4. Easy to see choosing the Steelers over the Pats, Browns, and Commanders at this point.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I agree with you in that as a WR I wouldn't want to deal with Pitt's QB situation, either, but Aiyuk isn't choosing from 31 other teams. It seems it was really only 4. Easy to see choosing the Steelers over the Pats, Browns, and Commanders at this point.
But why does he even care about the QB if he's getting the contract he wants? This is his giant pay day. It's not gonna matter who his QB is. It's just odd to me to single out Pittsburgh as your meal ticket out of a great situation in SF. But like you said maybe things just go to a point where there is no return.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
PrettyRickey vindication
Yeh he’s spot on - still trying to figure who he is

When he had Steelers was over

Tomlin seems like an awesome guy and I’m a Fields guy - Wilson we will see

Has Pickens and a good running game - solid D

Let's wait till next year, with some luck, CeeDee Lamb, DJ Metcalfe, Tee Higgins, C. Godwin will be available.
Will only cost us money.
Maybe even developing Douglas & Polk

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Bears guys and even coaches loved Fields

I think be can be good and Steelers got decent WR room

I’m him that’s my choice as well

I’m not so sure about Wilson

That’s gotta be one interesting QB room

Reactions: KOZ37

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
But why does he even care about the QB if he's getting the contract he wants? This is his giant pay day. It's not gonna matter who his QB is. It's just odd to me to single out Pittsburgh as your meal ticket out of a great situation in SF. But like you said maybe things just go to a point where there is no return.

I'm not sure it's a matter of the QB. Could just as easily be the coach. Could be organizational stability. Could be he's got a close friend on the team, or hates a certain city/region.

I mean, it might be something like, "I refuse to play for SF anymore and Pittsburgh knows how to maximize WRs and I'm going to the Hall of Fame if I play there."

So many factors, all of them might matter, or it could just be one thing. As Pats fans I think we should be less worried about Aiyuk specifically and more worried about how so many guys won't take their money. We've become the opposite of a destination. Players are clearly avoiding New England.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not sure it's a matter of the QB. Could just as easily be the coach. Could be organizational stability. Could be he's got a close friend on the team, or hates a certain city/region.

I mean, it might be something like, "I refuse to play for SF anymore and Pittsburgh knows how to maximize WRs and I'm going to the Hall of Fame if I play there."

So many factors, all of them might matter, or it could just be one thing. As Pats fans I think we should be less worried about Aiyuk specifically and more worried about how so many guys won't take their money. We've become the opposite of a destination. Players are clearly avoiding New England.
Foxboro ~ if it was Boston it’s different

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I agree, definitely not a destination. Need to win and have Maye become a legit QB to turn this around.

Reactions: EverettMike

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Our biggest draw by far was winning and we don’t win now. Ultimately it’s a place with shitty weather and high taxes and no nightlife to speak of…it’s not even in Boston 😭

We are gonna have to build this back up organically

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

Pats are in a rebuild. I don't think Aiyuk wants to do that. Pittsburgh is a better spot for him, imo

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
Bears guys and even coaches loved Fields

I think be can be good and Steelers got decent WR room

I’m him that’s my choice as well

I’m not so sure about Wilson

That’s gotta be one interesting QB room
After Pickens their WR's are pretty suspect. They traded D Johnson to Carolina so they lack quality depth. They might actually need Aiyuk worse then we do. They don't like to overspend either though. If they pay Aiyuk would love to see what Pickens asks for as it will be more than he is worth.

Reactions: DKH

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I wonder if our owner turning into a super embarrassing weirdo who besmirched the greatest coach in NFL history on his way out combined with our own players saying the team facilities are equal to a rundown abandoned high school's are keeping players away....

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
No one who plays for the Pats has to actually live in Foxboro, just play there. That's a nuthin burger.
It's not like Foxboro is some outcast town in Western Mass either. Where do we think athletes with families live when they play for New York teams? I doubt they are living in downtown Manhattan. Zo took to Wrentham and hasn't left! Aaron Hernandez lived in...ok bad example.

I wonder if our owner turning into a super embarrassing weirdo who besmirched the greatest coach in NFL history on his way out combined with our own players saying the team facilities are equal to a rundown abandoned high school's are keeping players away....
Where do things stand on the family room at Gillette

Reactions: EverettMike

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Are you saying the Boston Patriots should return and play home games at Fenway
Harvard Stadium

Actually going to Eagles game next Thursday wish they were in Boston

They kept everyone here they wanted to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad