2024 NHL Playoffs Around the League

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
It really is sad how far this dude has fallen, but he made his bed and has to lie in it in his PJ's. It still amazes me how badly he bumbled the whole fiasco surrounding his antics to join the Leafs. This schmuck is a HOF candidate and both Isles and Toronto fans will have a massive amount of vitriol for him. Well done dumbass.
Tavares was beloved here but after he became Judas I have absolutely no sympathy for him. He deserves all the hate he’s getting now from the Leafs fans

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
IDK, to me that's a no icing call 100 out of 100 times. His skates didn't gain the redline, but the puck was at the redline as he released it. Or at least close enough that they always give that to the player. They only call it if the puck clearly separates from the stick before the redline and you can see the puck alone on white ice before the line. Last night was too close to call.

That was all about timing, and nobody on TOR did anything to interrupt the timing (it wouldn't have taken much, either). They just left a clear path to the puck. And Pasta made an amazing play. At the speed he was going, and the speed at which he moved the puck to his backhand outside the post, for him to get the puck on goal with a little bit of elevation was remarkable. Most guys (like 499 out of 500) the puck would have dribbled off their stick, or they'd have put a weak shot into the goalie's pads.
Even if it was icing, didn’t pasta beat any leaf player to the dot to negate any icing?

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
It really is sad how far this dude has fallen, but he made his bed and has to lie in it in his PJ's. It still amazes me how badly he bumbled the whole fiasco surrounding his antics to join the Leafs. This schmuck is a HOF candidate and both Isles and Toronto fans will have a massive amount of vitriol for him. Well done dumbass.
Tavares will be remembered for what he could've been. He's become the Islanders and Leafs version of DeGrom.

Big L

Feb 7, 2013
CT
Don’t worry Leafs fans, there’s still the Lady Byng trophy you can win

• Haha
Reactions: MarsTBOW

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I look forward to this tweet reappearing every May.
John Matisz this morning:

Excerpts:

"The same roadblock exists with Tavares, except it'd be infinitely harder to offload the 33-year-old and his $11-million cap hit. He's a distressed asset.

What Treliving can fully control: the captaincy and future deals. Stripping Tavares of the "C" could create unnecessary drama, so it might not be worth the hassle, even if Matthews deserves the honor. The other part? Treliving definitely shouldn't be talking extension with Marner or Tavares on July 1."

"The Leafs' grand experiment of relying on the handful of players who eat up half of the salary cap is inherently flawed. If just one high-salaried star isn't living up to his contract - for instance, Tavares for the last few years - the GM must reap surplus value from virtually every other spot on the 23-man roster."

Oh waiter, I'd like some:

1714922567063.png

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
John Matisz this morning:

Excerpts:

"The same roadblock exists with Tavares, except it'd be infinitely harder to offload the 33-year-old and his $11-million cap hit. He's a distressed asset.

What Treliving can fully control: the captaincy and future deals. Stripping Tavares of the "C" could create unnecessary drama, so it might not be worth the hassle, even if Matthews deserves the honor. The other part? Treliving definitely shouldn't be talking extension with Marner or Tavares on July 1."

"The Leafs' grand experiment of relying on the handful of players who eat up half of the salary cap is inherently flawed. If just one high-salaried star isn't living up to his contract - for instance, Tavares for the last few years - the GM must reap surplus value from virtually every other spot on the 23-man roster."

Oh waiter, I'd like some:

View attachment 865301

We should sick Isles Twitter on him and refresh his memory of that douchebag tweet. Asshole.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Both Carolina and Boston played really hard last night, particularly the defenses. While watching the game I thought the Islanders never show the same urgency and probably don’t have the drive to win like the better teams. The battles along the boards and battles for loose pucks were intense and sure didn’t look like Islanders hockey.

Lee had his moments in the playoffs but I just don’t see him as captain material and wonder if his laid back personality is part of the problem. With his size he should be an absolute mauler but I’d consider him a slight under achiever based on his physical attributes and contract. He’s a nice guy and I’m sure an encouraging teammate but needs more fire.

I suspect Trotz wasn’t crazy about naming Lee captain but tbh honest I don’t know who else I would have picked. And the fact that I don’t know who I would pick after Lee today shows how weak our roster is.

The Toronto core sucked but the rest of the team played out of their minds with effort. I don’t usually say that with Isles elimination games.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Everything we predicted on 7/1/18 has come true. Tavares could’ve easily won a cup here in ‘20 or ‘21 and would have gone down as the most beloved player since the dynasty years. Instead he’s become one of the most disliked players in the league with two fanbases that absolutely loathe him, and he has 7 first round exits to show for it (most in an embarrassing fashion). I almost feel some sympathy.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Everything we predicted on 7/1/18 has come true. Tavares could’ve easily won a cup here in ‘20 or ‘21 and would have gone down as the most beloved player since the dynasty years. Instead he’s become one of the most disliked players in the league with two fanbases that absolutely loathe him, and he has 7 first round exits to show for it (most in an embarrassing fashion). I almost feel some sympathy.
Almost, but nah.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Um, no. I've seen closer ones than that called icing for sure.
Maybe 100 of 100 was an exaggeration, so I'll amend to 99 of 100. And the 1 time would be an erroneous call. If anything, I think they give the players the benefit of the doubt as to whether they release the puck just before or at the redline. To me this one was pretty clear. Lindholm started behind the redline, but by the time the puck left his stick he was across the line.

Reactions: Big L

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Atlanta
Maybe 100 of 100 was an exaggeration, so I'll amend to 99 of 100. And the 1 time would be an erroneous call. If anything, I think they give the players the benefit of the doubt as to whether they release the puck just before or at the redline. To me this one was pretty clear. Lindholm started behind the redline, but by the time the puck left his stick he was across the line.
It's really hard to tell if the puck hits the redline. My instinct says it does not, although it's really close. He definitely does not. The puck is released between these two frames.

mHusYttl.png

N7VSTnAl.png

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
It's really hard to tell if the puck hits the redline. My instinct says it does not, although it's really close. He definitely does not. The puck is released between these two frames.

mHusYttl.png

N7VSTnAl.png
I'm not sure the puck isn't still under his control in the second freeze frame since with a wrister motion the puck is typically on the very end of the blade as it's being released. By the way I've observed linesmen calling that play I'd say that's not going to be called an icing (and if it were, I'd guess the linesman would say later it was a mistake). I think they call that in pretty obvious cases where, as you look left to right in the second frame, you see redline, then a bit of white ice, then puck, then another bit of white ice, then the stick. I'm just going by my own very unscientific observation though.

Big L

Feb 7, 2013
CT
Even if he didn't cross the redline Pasta was close enough where it could have been waived off. Toronto's D got caught sleeping.
This.

I didn’t freeze frame the replay, but didn’t pasta beat out the nonicing anyway, totally negating the conversation about redline??

Richie Daggers Crime

Mar 8, 2004
Atlanta
Even if he didn't cross the redline Pasta was close enough where it could have been waived off. Toronto's D got caught sleeping.
True, and Pastrnak does reach the center dots first, but I don't believe that entered the equation, just from judging the refs reactions. Nobody waived it off.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
Linesman give a little leeway at center ice dump ins all the time to keep the game moving. It's usually called at the release of the puck not where the puck was before the player shoots it in. In real time, the puck can realistically assumed to have been extended just beyond the center red through the follow through of the shot, no icing there.

Richie Daggers Crime

Mar 8, 2004
Atlanta
And, I'm not arguing it should have been or should not have been. I'm just curious if there's a raging debate about it going on, since I avoid the dopey main board at all cost.

Because it wasn’t icing to begin with.
Well, the video evidence says it was really close. Honestly, if that was called icing, would people be screaming horseshit?

Linesman give a little leeway at center ice dump ins all the time to keep the game moving.
True, but sometimes they don't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad