GDT: 2024 NHL Free Agent Frenzy

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
You always talk about this like the cap wasn't stagnant for everyone else.... and like Tampa never got discount signings? Flat cap worked heavily in favor of Tampa, they had the best roster by far in the league and no one else had room to add, complaining about it is so weird to me.

Rising cap works against teams too you know, players want more - Panthers have already lost 7 roster players.

No one else has room to add players with a flat cap? Lol what? So Anaheim was just better than JBB at cooking their books to be able to overpay Killorn after the overexposure of multiple SC runs?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
No one else has room to add players with a flat cap? Lol what? So Anaheim was just better than JBB at cooking their books to be able to overpay Killorn after the overexposure of multiple SC runs?

Good teams didn't, bad teams overpaid players whoop de do?

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
Good teams didn't, bad teams overpaid players whoop de do?

But you yada yada'd over the entire point...

A flat cap allows worse teams to poach players on value contracts who were instrumental in winning Cups (or deep runs) because they were previously signed for less than their worth and can't be afforded anymore because of their success.

Unless GMs of those teams continue to pull diamonds in the rough out of their asses, which is highly unlikely, then the flat cap is going to increase parity to a degree.

Reactions: AHockeyFanatic

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
I'm not sure what the fuss about Boqvist is? He couldn't stick in either Chicago or Blue Jackets during five seasons, he really struggled to adapt to the NHL.

His been outright bad and there's a reason he was signed for a minimum contract. Could he turn things around? Sure, it's not impossible, but I would be surprised. It's more that he was a high pick and that's what makes people excited.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I'm not sure what the fuss about Boqvist is? He couldn't stick in either Chicago or Blue Jackets during five seasons, he really struggled to adapt to the NHL.

His been outright bad and there's a reason he was signed for a minimum contract. Could he turn things around? Sure, it's not impossible, but I would be surprised. It's more that he was a high pick and that's what makes people excited.
He can run a powerplay, that's about it. He got rushed into the league by Chicago which killed his development. Below average defensive skills and 5v5 play. People just see the draft slot he was taken in and think he can get to a higher level.

Reactions: Maelmoor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad