GDT: 2024 NHL Free Agent Frenzy

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I completely understand the limitations the cap puts on teams. Especially when it comes to filling out the top 2 lines. But there's just something about having that massive hole in the top 6 that just bothers the shit out of me.

Maybe because we had the same situation last year and Duclair coming in really fixed things. Or maybe it would be so much easier to deal with if Cirelli was a true offensive minded C. Instead, we really only have Hagel as the legit top 6 forward for that line.

What does everyone think of maybe packaging Paul and picks for a younger offensive C? Move Cirelli back down to 3C?

Last edited:
Reactions: Outl4w and Rschmitz

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
"Dead last" trust me bro.
People can spot pick whatever poll they want as polls work the same regardless of what they are for.

Fact of the matter is the pipeline was, as it should have been, nearly drained to go back-to-back and nearly back. Knowledgeable Syracuse fans have been trying to tell Tampa Bay fans for that for at least three years, but our warnings have fallen on mostly ears that refuse to accept the truth. The pipeline is not completely bare, however, I would not look too deeply into it for more than a couple of recalls who are capable call ups.

When you look over a game day roster that has been made up of half players that should be in the ECHL rather than the AHL as Syracuse has more than a handful of times each of the last four seasons, those are the warning signs that Syracuse fans see.

It is disappointing that fans happily accept the good news the Crunch fans report yet refuse to accept the bad. We are all rooting for the same thing; for the Lightning to win Cups with players that are taught the Tampa Bay way through the system or are developed well enough to be able to be used to acquire such players.

Reactions: Major4Boarding

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I completely understand the limitations the cap puts in teams. Especially when it comes to filling out the top 2 lines. But there's just something about having thst massive hole in the top 6 that just bothers the shit out of me.

Maybe because we had the same situation last year and Duclair coming in really fixed things. Or maybe it would be so much easier to deal with if Cirelli was a true offensive minded C. Instead, we really only have Hagel as the legit top 6 forward for that line.

What does everyone think of maybe packaging Paul and picks for a younger offensive C? Move Cirelli back down to 3C?

I wouldn't touch Paul, that is a bargain deal for what he brings.

If we are looking for an offensive C it's Geekie or bust IMO.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Eventually we'll build Syracuse back into a powerhouse
We all hope for that.
It is just a matter of having the patience and understanding here in Syracuse, Tampa Bay, and wherever Lightning fans are that this roster and winning now are important and restocking the farm will take time while pieces are used to help win now.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
They said the same thing when we had Cirelli, Gourde, Joseph and Sergachev. A team could have 5 Yakupov's running around and as long as they're under 20 and top 5 picks they'll call it the best farm in the league

All they care about is age and draft position
I don't even know where you get this stuff.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
We should keep exploring our options in Europe, I know Ryfors or Merelä didn't work out, but it was the right thing to do. No risk and potentially we can find good NHL players, especially given our thin prospect pool.

Reactions: Peacefool

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Yeah dude. It happened. Several entities can come up with different rankings. My bad. Number 30...

That's after all the prospects you named graduated from the pool......... tell me where we were ranked "dead last" with quote "Sergachev, Cirelli, Gourde, Joseph".......like ok lets name prospects from pre-2017 and then post a rankings from when they all aren't there anymore.

Tampa had a very well known top prospect pool for long time not sure why we need to play the victim here. It's been depleted in recent years and the rankings of late reflect that.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
We should keep exploring our options in Europe, I know Ryfors or Merelä didn't work out, but it was the right thing to do. No risk and potentially we can find good NHL players, especially given our thin prospect pool.
Lilleberg worked out pretty well. He didn't come to NA until this past season, so from a scouting perspective, it's pretty similar.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
That's after all the prospects you named graduated from the pool......... tell me where we were ranked "dead last" with quote "Sergachev, Cirelli, Gourde, Joseph".......like ok lets name prospects from pre-2017 and then post a rankings from when they all aren't there anymore.

Tampa had a very well known top prospect pool for long time not sure why we need to play the victim here. It's been depleted in recent years and the rankings of late reflect that.
Alright so it was after they graduated. Whatever dude. It's not like the ranking never happened. We missed the playoffs by a point with what amounted to an AHL team for most of the season and HF Lightning went into a 6 month bitch fit. And it was Jon Cooper's fault we missed our title window and still lost a Pittsburgh series everyone said we weren't competitive in and I was the dude smoking crack for defending him

No one was beating their chest about what a wonderfully ranked farm system we had. We crossed our fingers and hoped they succeeded

Reactions: Renopucker

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
When Syracuse was a juggernaut we were ranked pretty damn high.

How far back are we going? We gotta be near the bottom now
We are near the bottom, and it's not a misperception. We just don't have much more than fringe NHLers in the pipeline. You can see Cirellis and Points coming a mile away. We don't have anything remotely close to that right now.

Reactions: Rschmitz

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Tampa used to be so efficient at that - finding non drafted players that became a big part of the lineup.

and JBB has been credited as the guy who found those gems.

This is probably why he throws away draft picks, he is super confident in his ability to find hidden talent. Problem is, he hasn't found much lately

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
and JBB has been credited as the guy who found those gems.

This is probably why he throws away draft picks, he is super confident in his ability to find hidden talent. Problem is, he hasn't found much lately
He probably doesn't scout the minors personally anymore. Thus our inability to find a lot of undervalued talent the way we did when he was assistant GM.

Honestly I think we have overrated Al Murray. I think Yzerman and JBB were making the real decisions.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
I completely understand the limitations the cap puts on teams. Especially when it comes to filling out the top 2 lines. But there's just something about having that massive hole in the top 6 that just bothers the shit out of me.

I feel you on the uneasiness of having only Hagel as top6 F on that line. Especially because if put in right conditions, he's shown to be a ppg player.

Rather than sending Paul away, that with his contract can be a bargain 3C for years, I'd explore trading Cirelli honestly. Do it now instead of doing next offseason after his offensive game once again showed he's not deserving of that contract.
Do what we did with Serg, get a C of similar age but more prolific offensively.
If we traded for Necas, for example, we'd solve the problem: play Hagel and Necas together, then you can literally put whoever at 2RW and the line would still be productive.
If it was Hagel - Necas - Atkinson it would be fine.
but if we want to take it one step forward, we can trade Sheary and get someone decent for2RW.

(Obviously, I don't think Car would let go off Necas easily, especially after losing out on Guentzel)

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
I feel you on the uneasiness of having only Hagel as top6 F on that line. Especially because if put in right conditions, he's shown to be a ppg player.

Rather than sending Paul away, that with his contract can be a bargain 3C for years, I'd explore trading Cirelli honestly. Do it now instead of doing next offseason after his offensive game once again showed he's not deserving of that contract.
Do what we did with Serg, get a C of similar age but more prolific offensively.
If we traded for Necas, for example, we'd solve the problem: play Hagel and Necas together, then you can literally put whoever at 2RW and the line would still be productive.
If it was Hagel - Necas - Atkinson it would be fine.
but if we want to take it one step forward, we can trade Sheary and get someone decent for2RW.

(Obviously, I don't think Car would let go off Necas easily, especially after losing out on Guentzel)
A big issue with moving Cirelli right now is alot of teams that needed a 2C that he would fill just grabbed one in FA. I dont think alot of teams will want to pay what would be their 3C 6.25m for the next 7 years. Paul is more likely to move as hes cheaper as a 3C and has 5 years left and because hes only 29, he likely holds more value to some teams compared to Cirelli.

Soul Assumption

Jul 18, 2022
There are no FA left and I doubt there will be any trades.
Guentzel-Point-Kuch
Hagel-Cirelli-Atkinson
Sheary-Paul-Eyssimont
Girg-Glendening-Chaffee
same thing as last year- 2nd and 3rd lines are terrible
If Geekieis ready:
Paul-Point-Kuch
Hagel-Cirelli-Guentzel
Sheary-Geekie-Atkinson
Girg-Glendening-Eyssimont
looks a little better

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
There are no FA left and I doubt there will be any trades.
Guentzel-Point-Kuch
Hagel-Cirelli-Atkinson
Sheary-Paul-Eyssimont
Girg-Glendening-Chaffee
same thing as last year- 2nd and 3rd lines are terrible
If Geekieis ready:
Paul-Point-Kuch
Hagel-Cirelli-Guentzel
Sheary-Geekie-Atkinson
Girg-Glendening-Eyssimont
looks a little better
i think we 100% see a rookie in the middle 6 this year