Euro: Quarterfinals - Netherlands v. Türkiye - July 6

Who Advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
You don't have to image in. In the Rose Bowl, when the US and mexican soccer teams played each other, the mexican fans living in the US cheered for mexico and booed the US team.

I was thrilled that turkey lost today. Thrilled.
How about those riots already underway too? Turkish Dutch residents rioting on the streets calling the Dutch and Jews cancers. And the riot police being called in. This is wrong.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
That's so goddamn far from what the poster you're replying to was talking about.
Not to belabor the topic too much but we'll also occasionally get some of the Aztlan (California/part of the US is part of the Aztec ancestral lands, etc..) nonsense crop up here in So Cal but not sure I ever remember it piggybacking off a Mexico team victory/result. But even then it's still not really the same scenario.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
You don't have to image in. In the Rose Bowl, when the US and mexican soccer teams played each other, the mexican fans living in the US cheered for mexico and booed the US team.

I was thrilled that turkey lost today. Thrilled.
I don't see any problem with this or correlation to what I was arguing. I'm already regretting having made that comparison with the US and Mexicans.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The weirdest thing about this is that those immigrant communities tend to be way more nationalist and right-wing than the people that actually live in Turkey as often evidenced by Turkish election results in which for some reason those immigrants are eligible to vote even though they live abroad and have their host countries citizenship.

It’s not that weird. Nothing makes you more nationalistic than living abroad. The distance makes you feel the frustrating things about your country less while highlighting the flaws of the place you live…especially if you don’t feel super welcome in your new home. So expats of any stripe will tend to be more patriotic / nationalistic than people in the old country :dunno:

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
It’s not that weird. Nothing makes you more nationalistic than living abroad. The distance makes you feel the frustrating things about your country less while highlighting the flaws of the place you live…especially if you don’t feel super welcome in your new home. So expats of any stripe will tend to be more patriotic / nationalistic than people in the old country :dunno:
It also depends where you're going to. I hate how conservative my country is even more than when I left it because I now live in freedom loving Barcelona.

Reactions: cgf

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Very true. See most younger Russian expats in the west.
I went to a squat party in a factory in a town around Barcelona the other day and I could hear a lot of Russian spoken around. I asked my friend who runs the place if they're housing a lot of Ukrainian punks because of the war and he told me he didn't need to as the Western governments provide them with accommodation, but they're housing a lot of Russians and Bielorrusians escaping their countries' authoritarian regimes...

Reactions: cgf

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I am not sure I understand why people would immigrate to Germany and then celebrate Turkey nationalist movement. It just does not make any sense. If you loved Turkey so much, why move away from there?

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
I am not sure I understand why people would immigrate to Germany and then celebrate Turkey nationalist movement. It just does not make any sense. If you loved Turkey so much, why move away from there?
Because many people emigrate for economical reasons while still loving the mindset of their country. They don't understand that the reason their country is struggling economically, is more often than not, because of said mindset.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Because many people emigrate for economical reasons while still loving the mindset of their country. They don't understand that the reason their country is struggling economically, is more often than not, because of said mindset.

That doesn't even make any sense. What about gulf countries?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad