2024 NHL Entry Draft Discussion, June 28-29th

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Utah has cap space currently however, Huberdeau is signed through 29-30 which would get in the time frame of needing to give real contracts to the kids so that cap space will get sucked up fast.

Another facet is there is a false premise that if someone is a superstar on one team, in one system that this will translate on a new team in a new system. What Calgary did when they traded for Huberdeau is they tried to force a square peg in a round hole. I am not smart enough to explain this so I would defer to this exceptional breakdown...

Point being, if you are going to make a move for a Huberdeau type, then it would be vital to have a system that accommodates your $10m+ player. Does UTH want to change their system to accommodate one player?

Also, does UTH need a big name forward? If you pretend Guenther played a whole season last year and had 35g+, the Coyotes are top 10 in the league in scoring. This is weird to say but, offense is not a concern for this team so, no large cause to sacrifice for offensive help.

Dropping from 6 to 28 would mean going from a Demidov, Buium, Dickinson type to a Chernyshov, Wallenius, Parascak type. This drop would be massive. Utah would go from a significant impact player to a nice player.

Having Andersson would be nice and he would offset the loss of the high pick for sure but he is 27 and, though he is good, he is not the world beater one of those top 6 dmen will be in this draft.

If Utah was in a win now mode, maybe they make this deal but I don't think they are in that kind of space. This would be an unnecessary, desperation, move. Steady plodding is the way and shortcuts should not be taken on this rebuild imho.

Thanks for the reply, I agree with a lot of it. I’ve seen that breakdown before it’s pretty wild actually. The question is does Utah need to change their system to fit a player or do they already play a system that fits Huby better? It’s also not just the offensive potential (which could be a point per game player) but it’s also the leadership. Adding Huby and Andersson both to the second youngest team in the league I feel like would do wonders for the group and if Huby gets back to 80+ point numbers you all of a sudden of a pretty damn good looking team overnight. It is a lot do money though and there would be probably more risk there than BA is willing to take, but who knows?

Reactions: DustyDangler

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
I am surprised with so many teams saying top 10 picks are available for trade. Will be a very interesting draft weekend

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I am surprised with so many teams saying top 10 picks are available for trade. Will be a very interesting draft weekend
In a D heavy top where everyone a week before the draft is talking up the forwards you don’t thing the teams are trying to see who’s desperate to move up to grab the forward they want while they drop back a few spots to get the same D they were going to likely take at their pick? Everyone lies this time of year.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Totally agree, just wish we could somehow land Levshunov. If he's on the board at 4 or 5 hopefully we trade up.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Ok hear me out…I wanna know if there is any value in this. We have a ton of cap space right? CGY is ostensibly going full rebuild….what if we did a Crouse for Huberdeau swap? There’s tremendous value there for CGY getting a good player and saving money. We get a veteran leader for a young team and a player that I think can be revitalized under Tourigny in a new system that fits his strengths better.

Then, as a part of the same deal we get Andersson for just a pick swap of 6 for 28 + Soderstrom because of the value CGY is getting in the Crouse for Huberdeau swap. So this comes out to Huberdeau + Andersson + 28th for Crouse + Soderstrom + 6th. Flame away haha.

Edit: You could also then package a couple 2nds and or 3rds to move back up higher in the 1st round from 28 if you wanted…
Would love a player like Huberdeau, if he was 5 yrs. younger.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
The HockeyProspect.com guys rate Yakemchuk at 14 OA. They call him a low IQ, selfish player. Very interesting take (starting at the 18min mark).

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
The HockeyProspect.com guys rate Yakemchuk at 14 OA. They call him a low IQ, selfish player. Very interesting take (starting at the 18min mark).

He’s a selfish player and he does too much. That’s because Calgary is terrible and he’s playing by himself.

Dickenson or Buium, please!
This man gets it!

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Read this. I had fun writing it.

I prefer either 1 or 2 option. They both Finnish but slightly give forward the edge.

Then we’ll just have to settle for Miettinen or Pulkkinen or even Sam o’Reilly. ;)
I wouldn't mind any of those three. I would give Miettinen the edge just barely over the other two. I think best available might come into play for the pick.

Last edited:

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
IMG_1622.jpeg

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Two of my favourite scouting resources. One is much more detailed than the other. They seem to have similar conclusions, except for on Catton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad