2024 NHL Entry Draft Discussion, June 28-29th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Seems so many of my favorites for 38th are getting tons of late season hype and aren’t likely to slide to 38th. Guys like Solberg, Surin, Luchanko and O’Reilly. I hope they means some of my other favorites that I previously didn’t think would drop, now have a chance to. Guys like Miettinen, Pulkkinen, and Letourneau.

I’d be so thrilled with Dickinson and Miettinen.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Seems so many of my favorites for 38th are getting tons of late season hype and aren’t likely to slide to 38th. Guys like Solberg, Surin, Luchanko and O’Reilly. I hope they means some of my other favorites that I previously didn’t think would drop, now have a chance to. Guys like Miettinen, Pulkkinen, and Letourneau.

I’d be so thrilled with Dickinson and Miettinen.
I haven't seen any love for Pulkkinen in rankings lately. I expect he'll be available. Seems like all those others you listed will be taken earlier. You never know though. I'm almost as excited about day 2 as I am for day 1.

Reactions: Summer Rose

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I haven't seen any love for Pulkkinen in rankings lately. I expect he'll be available. Seems like all those others you listed will be taken earlier. You never know though. I'm almost as excited about day 2 as I am for day 1.
It seems like they will but there’s only 37 spots to fill. And we only need one fall. When you look at the Ellis and Pronman lists that dropped this week multiple are there at 38. Those guys are not nhl scouts but they’re connected and they’ve been doing this a long time. I’m willing to bet at least two kids are there at 38 that I have in my own top 22 and I’m willing to bet we pass on both of them for a kid I’ve never seen play. Lol.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Ellis list:

He’s got Pulkkinen (23 on my list) there at 38th. And Luchanko (18th on my list) there and Sam O’Reilly(22) is there. And Miettinen (19th) is there, too. And Tarin Smith (25) too.

Pronman list: https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5518310/2024/05/28/nhl-draft-rankings-2024-prospects/

He’s got O’Reilly there too. And Pulkkinen. And Hemming (I’ve got him 30th). And Basha (I have him 24th).

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
1717106975349.png

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Every D prospect Utah has is LD save for MavLam. Would this have any bearing on who is selected at 6 (Levshunov, Yakemchuk, Parekh)?
1717108497664.png

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Every D prospect Utah has is LD save for MavLam. Would this have any bearing on who is selected at 6 (Levshunov, Yakemchuk, Parekh)?
View attachment 877598
I don’t think so because none of those guys really have top four potential outside of Simashev and MAYBE Duda. I say pick the best D at 6th (even if he’s LD) and then pick a bunch of RDs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

There’s quite a few that I like a lot who should be in the range of those half dozen other top 100 picks we have.

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
I used to think Silayev was the guy for BA if he is there at #6, but in the last week or so I have changed my mind. Bill goes back to his roots and takes Dickinson 6th if he is there. Especially after hearing he is at the Memorial Cup to watch him.

He still checks the boxes for what this scouting staff is looking for(good size, hard to play against, good character, strong work ethic etc) and there is more uncertainty in having too many Russians. Go for the sure thing, who is well coached in a juggernaut hockey program in London.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I used to think Silayev was the guy for BA if he is there at #6, but in the last week or so I have changed my mind. Bill goes back to his roots and takes Dickinson 6th if he is there. Especially after hearing he is at the Memorial Cup to watch him.

He still checks the boxes for what this scouting staff is looking for(good size, hard to play against, good character, strong work ethic etc) and there is more uncertainty in having too many Russians. Go for the sure thing, who is well coached in a juggernaut hockey program in London.
I still think Bill will have Silayev above Dickinson on his list but probably not many names in between.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I still think Bill will have Silayev above Dickinson on his list but probably not many names in between.
I think we will see Silayev drop on Bob’s final poll. I watched his MHL playoffs, and I saw the same thing I saw last year in the MHL playoffs, an exceptional shut-down talent that really didn’t even try to do much on offense. Obviously he was tired after a long KHL season and playoffs. But when you add up his slow 2nd half and his postseason in both leagues he had 26gp 0g 5a since McKenzie’s mid-term poll.

From what I’ve seen over the last year, I think he’s elite when he doesn’t have the puck. He’s pretty darn mediocre when the puck is on his stick. Which is essentially just the flip side of the Zayne Parekh coin. Where Zayne is elite with the puck and essentially a train wreck without it.

I have both in my top ten but in the back half. I’d pretty easily take Dickinson, Buium, Yakemchuk or Levshunov over them.

On my own personal list I have Silayev ahead of Parekh because I’m a little more conservative and Parekh makes me more nervous than Silayev does. That said, if I had to pick one or the other for Utah specifically, I’d take Parekh. Silayev is just so damned redundant.

It’s diminishing returns. Burning two 6th overall picks and a 29th overall pick on three defensive defenseman who won’t contribute to an nhl power play and probably won’t be on the ice in the final minute when the team is down a goal would really be a big set back for the rebuild.

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
I think we will see Silayev drop on Bob’s final poll. I watched his MHL playoffs, and I saw the same thing I saw last year in the MHL playoffs, an exceptional shut-down talent that really didn’t even try to do much on offense. Obviously he was tired after a long KHL season and playoffs. But when you add up his slow 2nd half and his postseason in both leagues he had 26gp 0g 5a since McKenzie’s mid-term poll.

From what I’ve seen over the last year, I think he’s elite when he doesn’t have the puck. He’s pretty darn mediocre when the puck is on his stick. Which is essentially just the flip side of the Zayne Parekh coin. Where Zayne is elite with the puck and essentially a train wreck without it.

I have both in my top ten but in the back half. I’d pretty easily take Dickinson, Buium, Yakemchuk or Levshunov over them.

On my own personal list I have Silayev ahead of Parekh because I’m a little more conservative and Parekh makes me more nervous than Silayev does. That said, if I had to pick one or the other for Utah specifically, I’d take Parekh. Silayev is just so damned redundant.

It’s diminishing returns. Burning two 6th overall picks and a 29th overall pick on three defensive defenseman who won’t contribute to an nhl power play and probably won’t be on the ice in the final minute when the team is down a goal would really be a big set back for the rebuild.
I understand your concerns about drafting too many defensive D-man prospects. However, do not count out Duda. He still has great potential to be an excellent offensive D-man for us.

Remember, he was drafted only 7 picks after Lamoureux as well. I am very high on this prospect.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I understand your concerns about drafting too many defensive D-man prospects. However, do not count out Duda. He still has great potential to be an excellent offensive D-man for us.

Remember, he was drafted only 7 picks after Lamoureux as well. I am very high on this prospect.
Duda is a stud...going to surprise a lot of people. The kid is exceptional

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad