GDT: 2024 NHL Entry Draft - Day 2, 11:30 AM ESPN+ (Rangers Select EJ Emery)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Not really. Most defensive defensemen in the NHL scored a lot at lower levels and many of the exceptions went very late or undrafted.

I don't care, I hope the kid wins the Norris ten times, but it's a very fair observation that lack of offensive ability is a dismal sign for most prospects.
Picking a random year of 2007 I've scanned Keith aulie, Jake muzzin (this might have been injury?), former rangers Justin falk, Brett bellmoore, Robert bortuzzo, and I stopped at 5 at guys with frying pans for hands at 18 who played > 100 NHL games, some far more. There's probably more for 07 but that's enough to make the point.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Picking a random year of 2007 I've scanned Keith aulie, Jake muzzin (this might have been injury?), former rangers Justin falk, Brett bellmoore, Robert bortuzzo, and I stopped at 5 at guys with frying pans for hands at 18 who played > 100 NHL games, some far more. There's probably more for 07 but that's enough to make the point.
Riveting group of players.

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
I really hope nyr figure a way to move up and get a guy like Stiga, artamonov, Basha or freij. If not I hope they get a 3rd and grab one of Misa or He.

Doriva

May 6, 2015
Middlesbrough, UK
smart teams: alright it’s our first round pick let’s take a big swing here
NYR: we need to lock down the next Robert bortuzzo at all cost
I mean Bortuzzo has been in the league for 10+ years, been an all-star and won a Stanley Cup... if that's how Emery turns out I'd be delighted. Alternatively it is ok to just say you don't know much about the player bud.

Reactions: Synergy27

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
ALERT ALERT
OP notes coverage round 2 on "ESPN"
I went to record and ESPN has something else

= 1 of 2 things:
1) It actually is on ESPN and some programming idiot effed up
or
2) It is not on ESPN but instead on ESPN + or whetev they call that

separate pay for channel if so,
pls do keep a live thread for round 2

thnx
bern

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I've seen his opinion on other players and yes, he is a clown.

He was the one who ragged the Othmann pick because he didn't put up a ton of points in the Swiss league. The guy has no clue how to evaluate players.
Sure. Our scouts are always the smartest guys in the room but this dude is the clown.

Listen, I don't know shit about the kid but folks that criticize us for going off the board have been right 99% of the time.

Obv I hope youre correct & he is a CLOWN

Unfortunately, history shows our scouts & management are the clowns.

Reactions: rangersfansince08

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
I mean Bortuzzo has been in the league for 10+ years, been an all-star and won a Stanley Cup... if that's how Emery turns out I'd be delighted. Alternatively it is ok to just say you don't know much about the player bud.

Did you just try to correct someone but listed Robert Bortuzzo's AHL All-Star nod?

Everyone knows the real future star of that 2011 AHL All-Star team was Lawrence Nycholat :sarcasm:

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
You'd be delighted if our 1st round pick puts up something like 74 pts in 560 games?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Kakko for 2ed and 3rd?
WHY? What are you going to use that 2nd and 3rd for, that you could not use Kakko on the trade market?

We are not f***ing interested in pieces that might or might not be as good as Kakko in 4 years. f*** THEM KIDS, this team needs to win now, and Kakko is a useful piece in the bottom-6. If you trade Kakko, you need to improve the team for NEXT season.

If you need to trade Kakko to make cap room for Guentzel or something, that's a valid reason as well.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Well, We landed our next Robert Bortuzzo ladies.

I don't feel the same energy in my lungs like that Sharks fan did right before their pick sadly.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Sure. Our scouts are always the smartest guys in the room but this dude is the clown.

Listen, I don't know shit about the kid but folks that criticize us for going off the board have been right 99% of the time.

Obv I hope youre correct & he is a CLOWN

Unfortunately, history shows our scouts & management are the clowns.
Except it isn't just our scouts. It's every scout in the world except for Kevin Bacon's half-wit brother.

Bob McKenzie had Emery at 27th overall. His rankings are based on information he gets from actual scouts across all different teams. No other ranking had him lower than 56th, and Craig Button had him as high as 16th. But sure, defend the clown who ranked him 202nd.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Except it isn't just our scouts. It's every scout in the world except for Kevin Bacon's half-wit brother.

Bob McKenzie had Emery at 27th overall. His rankings are based on information he gets from actual scouts across all different teams. No other ranking had him lower than 56th, and Craig Button had him as high as 16th. But sure, defend the clown who ranked him 202nd.
Not defending him.

I said you don't know if he's right or wrong yet.

Maybe it's my fault for being a NYR fan & having lived through the McIlraths, Lias', Krapsovs over the years when there were actual players sill on the board.

I have ZERO faith in our front office, ESPECIALLY when it comes to drafting.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Not defending him.

I said you don't know if he's right or wrong yet.

Maybe it's my fault for being a NYR fan & having lived through the McIlraths, Lias', Krapsovs over the years when there were actual players sill on the board.

I have ZERO faith in our front office, ESPECIALLY when it comes to drafting.
You can’t cry over spilled milk. Also all those guys you named were top 10 picks. Emery went 30th. That’s a different bar.

You can have zero faith when to comes to drafting, but also don’t hold Sather and Gorton’s sins over Drury. There is plenty of things to criticize Drury on. This isn’t one of them

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
You can’t cry over spilled milk. Also all those guys you named were top 10 picks. Emery went 30th. That’s a different bar.

You can have zero faith when to comes to drafting, but also don’t hold Sather and Gorton’s sins over Drury. There is plenty of things to criticize Drury on. This isn’t one of them
Fair point.

Same scouts tho right? Drury didn't clean house when he stepped in.

I guess it's just that it feels the same to me regardless of regime.

Reactions: bhamill

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Fair point.

Same scouts tho right? Drury didn't clean house when he stepped in.

I guess it's just that it feels the same to me regardless of regime.
I mean Gordon and Bobrov were the ones with the keys on the Lias and Kravtsov picks. Would be very silly to blame Drury for that

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Don’t hate the pick, don’t love it either. Kid seems like an eraser of a D man… not 1 that’s going to uses bone jarring hits, but his strength and athleticism.
He still seems very raw in terms adding any offense/carrying the puck whatsoever.
At the 30th pick, I’m not expecting a finished product. There’s always something they need to improve on.
Drury and co are banking on Emery to develop his game with the puck on his stick and first pass out of the zone….
He’s not a totally off the board pick, most every scout had him in this range give or take a few spots one way or the other.
I like that the things he’s very good at, we lack on the big club, now it’s about getting him to learn the other things to make him a more complete player.
I can see why others maybe want boom/bust potential this late in the 1st, or a FWD.
So far, I like the players Drury has drafted since taking the reins…
They all have their flaws, but they all are competitors who don’t shy away from the physical side of the game. So I’ll give him the benefit of a doubt in that regard.
We’ll just have to wait and see how the kid progresses now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad