GDT: 2024 NHL Entry Draft, at The Sphere in Vegas, Friday, June 28, 7 p.m. edt | SN, TVA Sports, ESPN, NHLN

Who will Montreal draft?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
I was listening to Anthony Di Marco on TSN690 earlier today and he said a GM told him about a month ago to never believe the smoke you hear about the Habs leading up to the draft because they're always gonna do the opposite and called Hughes and Gorton the smokescreen kings of the NHL.

He said at last years draft no one thought the Habs were taking Reinbacher @ 5 and when they did he said he was told by someone that the Coyotes draft table was livid because everyone had the Habs going Leonard.

I remember in Slaf's draft his betting odds skyrocketed in the hours leading up to the draft, so they likely had some kind of leak there.

But for sure we can't take rumours at face value, not only do GMs have an incentive to hide their pick, they actually have an incentive to publicly leak false info to confuse other teams.

Reactions: sheed36

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
23 years for me and capped out at 4 weeks as well. Only ones I know who get more are the ones who work at Banks, Insurance, Government. The ones with the most money and the most amount of lazy workers. haha. To be clear, not all of them are that way but a fair mount of them.

I got a job offer from the government about 6 years ago and told my employer. They blocked more than 4 weeks but gave me a yearly golf membership and increased my salary. Works for me and I stayed.
It definitely wasn't that way in the 80's at least for management and upwards. Keep in mind just how much the banks have swallowed up here in Canada
Stock Brokerages oh you mean the Banks Insurance Companies Oh you mean the Banks. They were the first to aggressively target earnings per employee as a means of raking in profit. It spread like wildfire from there as you can imagine.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Is this a new thing in the NHL? Moving up or down in the leadup to the draft as opposed to during?

Islanders and Blackhawks swapped 18 and 20 a month ago, now Sharks and Sabres swap 14th and 11th.

Don't these teams (both sides) want to see who drops and what happens in the draft before moving around?

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
Not sure I really buy this. We didn't know for sure but going into 2022 we were pretty confident it was either Wright or Slafkovsky, and last year there was tons of noise about both Reinbacher and Leonard. I can certainly believe that other teams thought we'd lean Leonard but taking Reinbacher wasn't really much of a surprise.
Ya lol everyone basically leaked Habs were out on Michkov before the draft and then the year before they literally had a last minute meeting with Slaf the morning of the draft. In a way they've been pretty transparent. What would be the point of bluffing Reinbacher? None of those top 4 teams were trading down below us to allow someone to take him from us

Reactions: JoelWarlord

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Is this a new thing in the NHL? Moving up or down in the leadup to the draft as opposed to during?

Islanders and Blackhawks swapped 18 and 20 a month ago, now Sharks and Sabres swap 14th and 11th.

Don't these teams (both sides) want to see who drops and what happens in the draft before moving around?
Who knows they may be looking to move the pick again as part of another package.
I'd agree it isn't normal but nothing about this draft is normal either after #1.
I mean think about the number of surprises in a normal year when there is more consensus.

Reactions: Canadienna
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad