2024 NHL Draft

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
1718483709019.jpeg

Draft needs to start ASAP man

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
My bold prediction: I think there's going to be a premium put on the safer picks in this draft, especially early. I think 2-5 should be Levshunov, Buium, Iginla, and Lindstrom in whatever order. What will be interesting, I think, is whether there are teams who will want to move up to take a big shot on Demidov outside of the top 5. I'm thinking Detroit or Minnesota.

As for the draft simulator, that thing is crazy. I traded back from 20 to 24, and added like 3 third round picks, lol, and still got Hage, O'Reilly, Bedarik, Romani, some D, and G prospects, etc. You can easily game that thing to get major hauls.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I really wish that there's a guy in the top 15 who falls. Maybe the isles can nab him at #20

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I really wish that there's a guy in the top 15 who falls. Maybe the isles can nab him at #20
There seems to be a lack of consensus in this draft after the top bunch of guys - even more than usual. So, I think there's a decent chance some 1-15 guy will drop. And there's also a decent chance the Isles pick someone else and everyone freaks out. :laugh:

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
There seems to be a lack of consensus in this draft after the top bunch of guys - even more than usual. So, I think there's a decent chance some 1-15 guy will drop. And there's also a decent chance the Isles pick someone else and everyone freaks out. :laugh:
"Islanders will select...from Vaxjo Junior defefenseman...Afons Freij"

Reactions: doublechili

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Id be okay with the first two...could do without Poirier at 5'8.

Don't just look at that size, in this case.

See if you can find a good set of highlights.

Shoots from everywhere. Hits the target from everywhere.

Defenders bounce off of him. That can't pin him down. His body control and timing are outstanding.

Very confident. Loves to score. LOVES to snipe. And can do it.

Like a Caufield, it's not gonna be his height that stops him from making himself a sound NHL option.

But a risk that some teams will surely shy away from, especially if they already have a number of smaller players in their line-ups.

Reactions: saintunspecified

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Rankings are all over for this draft.
We could pick a guy at 20 who some had ranked top15 and others above 40.

The only real consensus it’s Celebrini.

This. Basically.

If we were to look at the concensus top 20-25, we'd be able to find reasons for all those picking ahead of us NOT to take a number of those concensus players.

And in this draft, it feels like we're not really gonna be able to say "Just take the BPA" with much authority. Too many guys who bring different aspects but similar value to the table.

Safe to say that the door to leaning towards organizational needs with rhyme and reason is (far) more wide open than at your average draft, where many teams have nonetheless leaned towards organizational needs (usually to their dismay, when all was said and done).

About the only things I would say with pretty much absolute certainty here are that Celebrini will go #1 and a goalie will not be selected in the top 25, and likely not at all on June 28th.

The McKeen's draft guide is out and the 2-round mock draft there saw the NYI going with the following:

20) Hage
54) Kleber
61) Spellacy

Reactions: SI90

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
He has a lot of growing support out there

Kind of like Devon Toews
Considered a smooth skater, smart and passing skills
Chapin has more insight to him

In a draft where you're going to see anywhere from 10-15 Dmen taken in the 1st round, both Freij and Wallenius are the types of prospects where basically everyone knows they should be fairly safe NHL topics, but more than enough (we'll call 'em) pundits are finding other Dmen to get excited about upside-wise.

I haven't seen anything to dissuade from the belief that both Freij and Wallenius are the best Swedish Dmen in this draft and, in many years, surefire first rounders, even if in the bottom half/3rd of a draft.

And they both pretty much did everything expected of them at the Swedish U20 level and internationally for Sweden on the U18 squads this past year.

As for Freij, we're talking about a very strong skater with above-average offensive skills and instincts. Very heady. Can dance out of his own zone. Good first pass and rushing abilities. Skating allows him to suffocate opposition attackers. If anything, he just needs to keep rounding out his decision making. He's even got good size already. There are plenty of tools and even though there is some flash 'n dash in his game, he's still a genuinely "safe pick".

Would the Isles be interested in him, even at 20?

Yes, all indications from past drafts point to him as a very projectable pick for the Isles.

If he's so safe, why would they go in another direction?

Quite simply, LHD is the organizational need the Isles are most loaded in. Even with Aho and Salo on the outs, there's still Bolduc (gotta make a decision on him soon), George, Odelius, Warren, and then further along Malinen, Schulz, and maybe even Rajaniemi. Mitchell (signed), Sevigny, Krygier, and Cosgrove (all currently uncertain) are also lefty Dmen. And the team will surely be bringing in at least one replacement for Salo and Cholowski, if they don't just re-up Cholowski.

Odelius is the key consideration here because if he gets on track after his considerable injury this past season, he's basically already a Freij-style prospect.

Naturally, this shouldn't dissuade you from taking the guy you simply feel is the best. I'm not arguing that.

But there will certainly be similarly good prospects at 20 that serve other needs this organization doesn't really have (m)any answers for right now.

My last post discussed how much this draft is very much open to teams being able to lean on organizational needs because of the parity between prospects of a similar quality.

I'm wondering what the Isles do if particularly a Connelly, Hage, Yakemchuk, or Brandsegg-Nygard are on the board when it's time to pick, if we still have the pick. These are several names that *should* all be terribly interesting to this franchise.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I'm wondering what the Isles do if particularly a Connelly, Hage, Yakemchuk, or Brandsegg-Nygard are on the board when it's time to pick, if we still have the pick. These are several names that *should* all be terribly interesting to this franchise.
Yakemchuk keeps falling on boards, while Nygard keeps moving around. Connelly has fallen away from round 1 also apparently? Its weird. whats the deal with Yakemchuk anyways?

Also the only reason the islanders pick Freij is if he's in the 2nd round and can afford to get more LHD depth. we need a RHD in the worst of ways. I would really wish that Mews or Kleber become islanders. They should be the first guys considered. really if they can get a RHD and center, its a B+ draft

Last edited:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I would be thrilled if Eiserman keeps falling, feels like DeBrincat v2.

It could also feel like another Chyzowski, Dal Colle, Bellows, Wahlstrom, and every other reputed goal scoring stud that the Isles have drafted aside from Bossy if Eiserman fell to #20. I haven't followed the kid enough to have a strong opinion about his potential, but I definitely feel a little gun shy at that type of player.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Yakemchuk keeps falling on boards, while Nygard keeps moving around. Connelly has fallen away from round 1 also apparently? Its weird. whats the deal with Yakemchuk anyways?
The knock on him from all that I've read is that his overall mobility/fluidity is not there, which leads to him taking too many trips, hooks, and holds. Add a fairly volatile temper to it, and he spends a lot of time in the box.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
It could also feel like another Chyzowski, Dal Colle, Bellows, Wahlstrom, and every other reputed goal scoring stud that the Isles have drafted aside from Bossy if Eiserman fell to #20. I haven't followed the kid enough to have a strong opinion about his potential, but I definitely feel a little gun shy at that type of player.
Well since we talked about Chyz, the poor dude suffered from bad development. Eiserman is a LI Kid. would be a dream come true if he came here.

Reactions: xECK29x

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
He looks like a better skater than all of those listed. Given that, the assist total means fairly serious tunnel vision.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I have my eyes on Greentree, he could fall to #20, and then also Hage. Haven’t really been studying first round rated players, because I’m 100% sure #20 will go in the typical Lou “hockey trade” (as opposed to a football trade ?).

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I have my eyes on Greentree, he could fall to #20, and then also Hage. Haven’t really been studying first round rated players, because I’m 100% sure #20 will go in the typical Lou “hockey trade” (as opposed to a football trade ?).
Greentree feels like a Lou player

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4