Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I know Brooks is a big Rangers supporter, but he wrote today that Fitz is looking to move the 10th pick. I’m not sure I like it with the Devils more or not having a first rounder next year.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I know Brooks is a big Rangers supporter, but he wrote today that Fitz is looking to move the 10th pick. I’m not sure I like it with the Devils more or not having a first rounder next year.
IMG_3585.jpeg

The way I read that is “If you’re willing to give me the win in value then I’ll trade my pick” which is a fine place to start.

I generally hope the Devils keep the pick but if someone is willing to give up a great package then the Devils should take the offer instead.

Zacha37

Dec 8, 2016
Part of the quote from Dennehy: “We really like him. He plays bigger than he is — he’s a shade under six feet — but he’s thick, he plays hard, he wins battles, he’s a 200-foot player. I think he’s a natural centerman, which is another huge positive. We really like him and think he’s a really good player.”

Also mentions the positives of him “playing against men” which has become a popular phrase around here for other reasons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Part of the quote from Dennehy: “We really like him. He plays bigger than he is — he’s a shade under six feet — but he’s thick, he plays hard, he wins battles, he’s a 200-foot player. I think he’s a natural centerman, which is another huge positive. We really like him and think he’s a really good player.”

Also mentions the positives of him “playing against men” which has become a popular phrase around here for other reasons
Maybe he can fill that gaping hole NJ has at 2C

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey

Sounds like that fits with Fitz's vision of making a team thats harder to play against. He isn't my favorite choice but if he's the pick at #10 I will be happy with it, unless we pass on someone who I didn't think would be there like Buium

Reactions: Guadana

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
It's a pretty open secret at this point. If Fitzy can get a top 6 winger with term or a top 4 D with term that he likes the pick is gone.

My3Sons

Sponsor
It's a pretty open secret at this point. If Fitzy can get a top 6 winger with term or a top 4 D with term that he likes the pick is gone.
my impression is that each year we hear about a few semi high picks that are in play and it’s rarely a trade. What team will move its equivalent of Dawson Mercer for pick 10?

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Sennecke has become a very good ohl player no doubt. Don’t think he’s very translatable to the NHL level though or skilled enough.
This comment came to my mind when I read an article about Sennecke from the EP Rinkside and watched his highlight reel that was linked in the article. I understand if you don't like the player, but his puck skills are really something. Or as Mitch Brown wrote: "Sennecke's creativity with the puck is unmatched; his highlight reel might be the best in the entire draft class."

Film Room: Beckett Sennecke's dynamic skill and versatility make him a top-10 talent (+)

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
This comment came to my mind when I read an article about Sennecke from the EP Rinkside and watched his highlight reel that was linked in the article. I understand if you don't like the player, but his puck skills are really something. Or as Mitch Brown wrote: "Sennecke's creativity with the puck is unmatched; his highlight reel might be the best in the entire draft class."

Film Room: Beckett Sennecke's dynamic skill and versatility make him a top-10 talent (+)

Its good stick handling, but it mostly doesnt work against NHLers. He isnt really fast here, he is doesnt protect the puck in most of this situations, he is trying to outplay them by maneuvering the puck, not by manipulating of the movement and angles. So of course it will help, but it will be limited by opponents. Especially with his skating ability - its not bad but its average. It looks fun on highlights, but it isnt bread and butter of NHL game.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Its good stick handling, but it mostly doesnt work against NHLers. He isnt really fast here, he is doesnt protect the puck in most of this situations, he is trying to outplay them by maneuvering the puck, not by manipulating of the movement and angles. So of course it will help, but it will be limited by opponents. Especially with his skating ability - its not bad but its average. It looks fun on highlights, but it isnt bread and butter of NHL game.
Yeah, I understand that there are risks and I appreciate what you are saying. On the other hand, there are a lot of prospect writers who disagree with you. I'm pretty sure that Mark Edwards from the Hockeyprospects.com and writers from the Eliteprospects think his skills are translatable to the NHL. Otherwise, I don't think he is ranked at #6 and #9 in their draft rankings. Time will tell which one of you is right about him.

I'm curious to see how high Sennecke is ranked in the Bob McKenzie's final draft rankings, which will be released today.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Yeah, I understand that there are risks and I appreciate what you are saying. On the other hand, there are a lot of prospect writers who disagree with you. I'm pretty sure that Mark Edwards from the Hockeyprospects.com and writers from the Eliteprospects think his skills are translatable to the NHL. Otherwise, I don't think he is ranked at #6 and #9 in their draft rankings. Time will tell which one of you is right about him.

I'm curious to see how high Sennecke is ranked in the Bob McKenzie's final draft rankings, which will be released today.
I think he will translate some parts of his game. He is big guy, it will help to protect the puck, he still is a good passer and part of stickhandling will work in tight areas, especially if he will make passes after the first move and will not try to outplay opponents with the puck.

But he needs to learn it on the constant basis. He needs to learn how to protect the puck better.
And the more important part - speed of decision making. He isn’t the player like Helenius or Catton who can making pass in different situations as fast as it needs. He playing a puck a lot, a lot of his fast passes are going from the rushes. If we are talking about nhl, rushes isn’t big part of the game and it takes better speed to use it regularly.

And if we are talking about other writers, may be it’s the reason I have regular discussion against this guys because I see NHL and what kind of skill will translate better differently. Regularly. Eliteprospects had Drysdale over Sanderson, I had Sanderson over Drysdale, Pronman had Edvinsson at 12 and Clarke at 6, Wheeler had Edvinsson at 18, I had Edvinsson in top-4/5, eliteprospects had Jiricek over Nemec, in the end I had Nemec over Jiricek, I have Demidov as number two, Pronman has him at 8. So yeah, beef is real, and I named only few players, there were tonns of differences.

I’m not saying that Sennecke is bad prospect overall, I just like other prospects more. Overall I really like this draft.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

I’m not saying that Sennecke is bad prospect overall, I just like other prospects more. Overall I really like this draft.

For example - Chernyshov. He is a player of the same size - 6'2 .75 His stickhandling is on the same level and it works against KHlers, he is faster, better skater, much more physical, one of the best defensive forwards of the draft, he creates high dangerous chances by his passing on the junior level as good as Sennecke, his positional game and understanding the game on the fly is at least not worser. Why he is lower than Sennecke? Because 17-18 yo boy didnt produce well on KHL level and because he is Russian. His agent is Milstein, his clients and Russians dont have a problem to join NA teams now, Russian factor is only in heads of fans and some gms - but we are talking about better players.

But its Chernyshov. Pronman has Sennecke over Demidov, some real scout of some real NHL team has Sennecke and Catton over Demidov. And its not surprising - we can see year after year how some gms and scouts are making wrong picks. Im not saying that Im always right - I had Perevalov in top-15 I guess. But Im trying to learn something from it, reason why I dont have Surin high. And Im quite good with my view because of how Edvinsson is developing, how strongly against Holtz I was and how I was literally the only person(may be with someone) against 100 people who voited for Mercer as our number one prospect after 2020 draft, I literally said that I liked Stuzle more than Lafrenier and Byfield, I had Wright as number 4 on the draft and it was my conservative rank of him, I started to hype Slafkovsky way before the all around noise and as I remember there were not a lot of people who had him over Wright before Pronman published his opinion about Slaf as number one much closer to the draft.

So yeah, I can debate with this guys, I have arguments, I have track record and I will never use their opinion as an argument against my view. If they have arguments - okay, lets listen, if they are just saying "look at his stickhandling, he is top-5" than I would say its another argument against them. I listened hockey writers video where some writer named Sennecke as the best playmaker of the draft. Not Catton, not Demidov, not Buium with their huge playmaking iq, who did their magic against bigger opponents in different situations and flashed it before starting to play with Ritchie like Sennecke did.

So yeah, for me Sennecke is good prospect but he has too much hype for one way forward with lack of defensive game, lack of good speed and good skating. Top-15? may be, I understand the arguments, top-5/8 - Sorry, I dont buy it.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland

For example - Chernyshov. He is a player of the same size - 6'2 .75 His stickhandling is on the same level and it works against KHlers, he is faster, better skater, much more physical, one of the best defensive forwards of the draft, he creates high dangerous chances by his passing on the junior level as good as Sennecke, his positional game and understanding the game on the fly is at least not worser. Why he is lower than Sennecke? Because 17-18 yo boy didnt produce well on KHL level and because he is Russian. His agent is Milstein, his clients and Russians dont have a problem to join NA teams now, Russian factor is only in heads of fans and some gms - but we are talking about better players.

But its Chernyshov. Pronman has Sennecke over Demidov, some real scout of some real NHL team has Sennecke and Catton over Demidov. And its not surprising - we can see year after year how some gms and scouts are making wrong picks. Im not saying that Im always right - I had Perevalov in top-15 I guess. But Im trying to learn something from it, reason why I dont have Surin high. And Im quite good with my view because of how Edvinsson is developing, how strongly against Holtz I was and how I was literally the only person(may be with someone) against 100 people who voited for Mercer as our number one prospect after 2020 draft, I literally said that I liked Stuzle more than Lafrenier and Byfield, I had Wright as number 4 on the draft and it was my conservative rank of him, I started to hype Slafkovsky way before the all around noise and as I remember there were not a lot of people who had him over Wright before Pronman published his opinion about Slaf as number one much closer to the draft.

So yeah, I can debate with this guys, I have arguments, I have track record and I will never use their opinion as an argument against my view. If they have arguments - okay, lets listen, if they are just saying "look at his stickhandling, he is top-5" than I would say its another argument against them. I listened hockey writers video where some writer named Sennecke as the best playmaker of the draft. Not Catton, not Demidov, not Buium with their huge playmaking iq, who did their magic against bigger opponents in different situations and flashed it before starting to play with Ritchie like Sennecke did.

So yeah, for me Sennecke is good prospect but he has too much hype for one way forward with lack of defensive game, lack of good speed and good skating. Top-15? may be, I understand the arguments, top-5/8 - Sorry, I dont buy it.

Chernyshov is an interesting prospect, but I don't see similar hands and skill than with Sennecke. I think Chernyshov makes a career in the NHL, but I'm not sure if he is a third line winger or something more.

I also think that Sennecke has more room for growth because of his late growth spurt and adjustments to his body. That's why I think Sennecke has more potential to be an impact player in the NHL. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if Chernyshov has a better career in the NHL than Sennecke.

Can someone give a summary about Novo's article? Much appreciated.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Chernyshov is an interesting prospect, but I don't see similar hands and skill than with Sennecke. I think Chernyshov makes a career in the NHL, but I'm not sure if he is a third line winger or something more.
If you dont see similar stickhandling may be you should watch more of his games. He isnt worser in this aspect.

So if CHernyshov with his defensive and physical game, with his skating and speed isnt more than 3rd liner - we cant pencil Sennecke as a sure thing for top-6 and top-10 draft prospect. Because his list of weaker aspects isnt thin enough.

Late spurt is a late spurt. For him its even harder to adapt and develop his skating. Its nothing less its nothing more. He will develop protecting of the gap and gap control, but size has nothing with positioning, defensive game. Skating? it can be even worser, it can be better if he will work in leg days.

Again - if you dont see it with Chernyshov than okay - give me valid arguments, not just "potential". Chernyshov is big and good skater in the same time. So I thin khe has more potential. See how it works? It doesnt. A statement is not an argument.
If we want to make real dialog we can compare videos of the plays.

I cant read or buy nj.com. So its better if you can make a couple of quotes.

Last edited:

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY

I also think that Sennecke has more room for growth because of his late growth spurt and adjustments to his body. That's why I think Sennecke has more potential to be an impact player in the NHL. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if Chernyshov has a better career in the NHL than Sennecke.

Can someone give a summary about Novo's article? Much appreciated.

Devils scout Mark Dennehy on Michael Brandsegg-Nygard: “Another guy who plays against men. Pretty big body, good shot, strong on his skates. He does not just get on players on the opponent, he also reads his linemates well, so he’s able to stay above when it calls for it. He’s not just running around banging bodies, but he’s got a good body, so when he lays it on somebody, it’s an asset for him for sure. Good shot. The other thing you’re looking for from these guys is continued development. They’re going to have to continue to get better if they’re going to have the same impact in the NHL. You watch how he played in the World Championships, he elevated his game. That’s huge. That’s a big sign. Our guys travel all over the planet to find these guys and (Norway) was not an easy place to get to, but he made it well worth it.”

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
If you dont see similar stickhandling may be you should watch more of his games. He isnt worser in this aspect.

So if CHernyshov with his defensive and physical game, with his skating and speed isnt more than 3rd liner - we cant pencil Sennecke as a sure thing for top-6 and top-10 draft prospect. Because his list of weaker aspects isnt thin enough.
Well, that's your opinion, and I know you think highly of him. But it's okay if we assess these players differently. You are certain that Chernyshov has similar hand and skill to Sennecke, and he is a better prospect than the latter, but I disagree with you. There is a reason why Sennecke is a top 10 prospect in many draft rankings and Chernyshov is at 20 or something like that. You can disagree with them and say it's a Russian bias, and it's fine, but I don't have to agree with you on that. The same goes the other way, you don't need to agree with me, and it's fine.

Devils scout Mark Dennehy on Michael Brandsegg-Nygard: “Another guy who plays against men. Pretty big body, good shot, strong on his skates. He does not just get on players on the opponent, he also reads his linemates well, so he’s able to stay above when it calls for it. He’s not just running around banging bodies, but he’s got a good body, so when he lays it on somebody, it’s an asset for him for sure. Good shot. The other thing you’re looking for from these guys is continued development. They’re going to have to continue to get better if they’re going to have the same impact in the NHL. You watch how he played in the World Championships, he elevated his game. That’s huge. That’s a big sign. Our guys travel all over the planet to find these guys and (Norway) was not an easy place to get to, but he made it well worth it.”
Thanks a lot!

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Well, that's your opinion, and I know you think highly of him. But it's okay if we assess these players differently. You are certain that Chernyshov has similar hand and skill to Sennecke, and he is a better prospect than the latter, but I disagree with you. There is a reason why Sennecke is a top 10 prospect in many draft rankings and Chernyshov is at 20 or something like that. You can disagree with them and say it's a Russian bias, and it's fine, but I don't have to agree with you on that. The same goes the other way, you don't need to agree with me, and it's fine.
Agree to disagree.
Again im not worry about why one is higher on lists and another one is lower - I compare them, I can make examples from videos where one is competent and smart against men and other one is sloopy against kids. So yeah. Agree to disagree.
Thanks a lot!
Overall they say good things about every prospect every year so Im not ready to buy something from it. At least it looks like they are finding some similarities from what positive thinkers are thinking from Nygard's game - more than just "forechecker". I hope they will learn something from it and they understand better that its not enough to draft Sennecke players for highlights and its better to analyze the game from different sides, because NHL game ask more than shot and even good passing game, Holtz can confirm.​

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Agree to disagree.
Again im not worry about why one is higher on lists and another one is lower - I compare them, I can make examples from videos where one is competent and smart against men and other one is sloopy against kids. So yeah. Agree to disagree.

Overall they say good things about every prospect every year so Im not ready to buy something from it. At least it looks like they are finding some similarities from what positive thinkers are thinking from Nygard's game - more than just "forechecker". I hope they will learn something from it and they understand better that its not enough to draft Sennecke players for highlights and its better to analyze the game from different sides, because NHL game ask more than shot and even good passing game, Holtz can confirm.​
Sennecke’s microstats looked really good in all areas of the game (not a huge sample, but at least we have something measurable), so I don’t think he’s just getting hype for some highlight reel plays.

“Defense” in general seems hard to project at the next level, especially for a wing, given that there are so many ways to impact the game defensively. Mitch Marner and Tomas Tatar were two of the best defensive forwards in the NHL in 22-23 in terms of actual measurable impacts…and they’re both branded as softies that don’t play a “playoff style”.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Sennecke’s microstats looked really good in all areas of the game (not a huge sample, but at least we have something measurable), so I don’t think he’s just getting hype for some highlight reel plays.

“Defense” in general seems hard to project at the next level, especially for a wing, given that there are so many ways to impact the game defensively. Mitch Marner and Tomas Tatar were two of the best defensive forwards in the NHL in 22-23 in terms of actual measurable impacts…and they’re both branded as softies that don’t play a “playoff style”.
I dont know why Tatar was labled as soft player without defense. I have no issue with him. May be not so great in play off - in seasons he was good 200 foot player. I had some questions and was not so high on his sign but after studing his game I didnt. I was very pro Keefe guy from the beginning, and Marner actually is a player I like. Everything I saw and everything I hear from toronto bloggers like Dangle Im only waiting for a trade to smile on it.
When Im talking about Sennecke - may be his stats are good, but Im watching his games. You know - actually his play. I understand how he works positionally. Thats great that he is giant in the kids garden, but he isnt good positional player, especially in D zone. May be he will develop this aspect of the game. But im more believer in natural development, so I think he will be more physical, but for now I cant ask from him to develop his game into two way or even defensive positional player. Again - good team, very good partner.

Again - I dont deny we can draft Sennecke. But it will be a part of my view of our actual scouting group - they do well with defensemen, they dont with forwards.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
my impression is that each year we hear about a few semi high picks that are in play and it’s rarely a trade. What team will move its equivalent of Dawson Mercer for pick 10?
The difference is that teams picking in the top 10 tend to be bad rebuilding teams who are prioritizing taking their own guy and developing him to contribute to a competitive team 5-7 years in the future.

The Devils are building a team to compete immediately and they don't value waiting around for years for a guy who may or may not even hit.

They are absolutely motivated to move the pick in the scenario there's a deal on the table worth making. Even a guy like McGroarty makes way more sense for the Devils than waiting around for another 18 year old to develop.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
The difference is that teams picking in the top 10 tend to be bad rebuilding teams who are prioritizing taking their own guy and developing him to contribute to a competitive team 5-7 years in the future.

The Devils are building a team to compete immediately and they don't value waiting around for years for a guy who may or may not even hit.

They are absolutely motivated to move the pick in the scenario there's a deal on the table worth making. Even a guy like McGroarty makes way more sense for the Devils than waiting around for another 18 year old to develop.
My impression is that teams either offer trade downs with more picks or the usual declining overpaid vets. I get doing that for Markstrom but for an equivalent position player? Seems like bad value to me. I guess it’s up to the scouting department to decide if a McGroarty is a good target.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad