Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
One thing that the criticisms of Helenius remind me of is what people said about Lundell in his draft year. High floor, low ceiling. I made a mental note of that and wondered how it would turn out. Looks like a pretty damn good pick now.

These are 18 year olds, if Helenius is really good enough to jump into the NHL as a 3C, as this writer supposes, it's crazy to think he can't get much better than that.
I mentioned the Lundell thing too a few weeks ago, STI or Guadana (can't remember who) mentioned stylistically not a perfect comp (Lundell is bigger an can play more of an interior game) but the concept is still there of drafting a guy who can be eased in as a 3C and step up when the time comes like Lundell in these playoffs

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I mentioned the Lundell thing too a few weeks ago, STI or Guadana (can't remember who) mentioned stylistically not a perfect comp (Lundell is bigger an can play more of an interior game) but the concept is still there of drafting a guy who can be eased in as a 3C and step up when the time comes like Lundell in these playoffs
Both Helenius and Nygard can do it with different details in their game. I think Nygard is faster better skating version of Lundell with better shot. Helenius is faster on the move, better puckhandler, he is smaller but still very competent positionally, still aggressive enough in puck battles. 5’11 isn’t Lundell but still okay.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
One thing that the criticisms of Helenius remind me of is what people said about Lundell in his draft year. High floor, low ceiling. I made a mental note of that and wondered how it would turn out. Looks like a pretty damn good pick now.

These are 18 year olds, if Helenius is really good enough to jump into the NHL as a 3C, as this writer supposes, it's crazy to think he can't get much better than that.
I vividly remember that as a “knock” on Lundell, as well. Seems to be working out pretty well for Florida.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
His reasoning is poor but Helenius is the player I like the least out of the names being bandied about for 10th overall (other than Eiserman). An undersized center that doesn't have high end speed or skill or much projectability is a scary proposition at 10th overall. Smart, two way center but I worry that his lack of physical tools will limit his overall effectiveness at the NHL level.
If MBN was definitely a center at the NHL level, would there be much of a debate as to who to pick between him and Helenius? That question is meant as praise for MBN, even if it may come across as anti-Helenius (which isn’t the case, though I admit Helenius is less appealing to me than other prospects who may be available at 10OA.)

@Lou Bloom I have similar concerns which have been somewhat assuaged by other posters.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
If MBN was definitely a center at the NHL level, would there be much of a debate as to who to pick between him and Helenius? That question is meant as praise for MBN, even if it may come across as anti-Helenius (which isn’t the case, though I admit Helenius is less appealing to me than other prospects who may be available at 10OA.)

@Lou Bloom I have similar concerns which have been somewhat assuaged by other posters.
yes it would still be a debate. helenius is a smarter, more cerebral player on the puck. hes an adept play driver and projects to have a superior playmaking game. his vision and anticipation are also better. mbn is a faster, more powerful skater, but theres a certain efficiency to helenius' edges, swiftness on his feet, and overall ability to find pockets of space that it might wind up being seen as better. these are typically the attributes you want to be as good as possible down the middle

its an interesting discussion, though, because im assuming nothing else is changing in this scenario and mbn would still be seen as good of a RW option as he currently is. i think the argument for roster composition, in terms of what he specifically brings like forechecking, speed, physicality, shooting, etc. coupled with the utility of a confident C+RW projection might make him a more enticing option for our team in particular. konsta can play RW, but i dont think it's as good of a use of him

i'll say this much, if mbn was an all-day center, i don't think it's much of a debate for fitz lol

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
His reasoning is poor but Helenius is the player I like the least out of the names being bandied about for 10th overall (other than Eiserman). An undersized center that doesn't have high end speed or skill or much projectability is a scary proposition at 10th overall. Smart, two way center but I worry that his lack of physical tools will limit his overall effectiveness at the NHL level.
My point was more to do with how bad the writer's argument was than the actual player, Helenius. I mean, as much as I disagree you, you have presented a more compelling argument in a 4-line HFBoards post than that dude did in his entire written piece.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020

I think MBN fits best on the wing as the ideal complimentary winger in a top 6. The Value of Nygard is in his ability to affect the game in all aspects and make your playmakers lives much easier, while also having the offensive talent to take advantage of your elite playmakers like Jack, Bratt and Nico. We've seen how valuable players like Lehkonen and Nichushkin have been to the Avs and I think Nygard could have a similar impact as a two way, all situations winger.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Helenius lacks elite physical tools. But he also has no physical weaknesses -- or even average qualities. He is a very good puck handler and playmaker and a good shooter. I'd rank his skating as good-to-very-good. I don't think I'd get many arguments for these assessments.

Where Helenius is, in fact, elite is in his intangibles. His hockey IQ is just shy of Celebrini and Demidov, who are obviously the top 2 players in the draft by a long shot. But if you're arguing the number 3 spot, it's either Helenius or Buium and there's really no one else in the conversation. His compete level is also probably top 5 in the class. They are both elite traits, without any doubt.

If I actually do retire from this draft-writing thing, if I could leave you all with one bit of wisdom, it would be this -- hockey IQ and compete level play up every single tool in a player's physical arsenal.

It's my secret, and why my rankings are routinely better 5 to 10 years down the line than most of the big-name draft writers. Because a player with average tools across the board but an elite hockey IQ and compete can still make it as a regular in the NHL, and a player with a couple of elite tools can still miss the NHL entirely if they lack them.

We know Helenius is going to work his tail off, and we know he is going to improve. Improved core strength will give a boost to his skating power and shot power. It's almost a given that he's going to learn the pro game at a higher arc than 95% of prospects. He's an incredibly smart player.

If I were to compare Helenius to an NHL player -- and this really pains me because he's in the conversation for my least-favorite NHLer -- I'd have to say Carolina's Sebastian Aho. Aho would get a slight nod in skating and passing creativity, but I'd give Helenius the nod in overall IQ and compete. The size and puck skills are all comparable across the board, and the play styles are fairly similar although I'd say Helenius is more cerebral and dedicated to the 200-foot game at the same age. Ultimately, I'd say an optimistic and realistic projection for Helenius is an Aho-type center with slightly less gaudy scoring totals but a better all-around game.

I think MBN fits best on the wing as the ideal complimentary winger in a top 6. The Value of Nygard is in his ability to affect the game in all aspects and make your playmakers lives much easier, while also having the offensive talent to take advantage of your elite playmakers like Jack, Bratt and Nico. We've seen how valuable players like Lehkonen and Nichushkin have been to the Avs and I think Nygard could have a similar impact as a two way, all situations winger.
Nichushkin is actually a terrific comparison for Nygard in general, and I'd add to that by saying Nygard is much more advanced in his overall game at the same age.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2024 Draft Profile:

LD John Whipple, US-NTDP

It's important to write-up Whipple, because he's a Morristown, NJ native who should be available into the 4th/5th rounds and fills an organizational need as a physical, shut-down left-shot defender. The 6'1-195 skates very well and lives to punish the opposition with his aggressive physicality. The reason he's probably been overlooked by the draft consensus has more to do with his non-existent offensive game than anything else.

Whipple is a very simple player, and this is not a detriment. He is an excellent defender -- smart reads, great gaps, astute positioning, mostly good decision-making. He has a bit of trouble against the rush, but again it's not his skating which is absolutely a strength with this player. He just seems to get a bit frustrated when he can't immediately use his notable strength as a tool to separate puck-carrier from puck.

Whipple guards the crease like it's his mother's reputation. You don't want to mess around with an extra slap at the goalie when he's on the ice. Whipple has a bit of Radko Gudas to him, in that he sometimes can toe the line between "physical hockey player" and "seeming sociopath". With your defensive defenders, this is not necessarily a bad thing at higher levels of hockey.

With the puck, Whipple is "functional" at best and "a guy on your team" at worst. He's a complete catch-and-release player whose sole desire is to quickly get the puck to someone who is better at offense. This is not to say he's weak -- he's an okay puck-handler and makes fine, if conservative, passing decisions. He won't hurt you on offense, but he won't help you either.

It's certainly this limitation which will drop Whipple to the later rounds, but he's a nice hometown pick for NJ in that range. The Devils only have one proactively physical LD in the prospect pool with Daniil Karpovich, and Whipple's mix of high mobility and defensive acuity make him a smart late-round selection.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
2024 Draft Profile:

LD John Whipple, US-NTDP

It's important to write-up Whipple, because he's a Morristown, NJ native who should be available into the 4th/5th rounds and fills an organizational need as a physical, shut-down left-shot defender. The 6'1-195 skates very well and lives to punish the opposition with his aggressive physicality. The reason he's probably been overlooked by the draft consensus has more to do with his non-existent offensive game than anything else.

Whipple is a very simple player, and this is not a detriment. He is an excellent defender -- smart reads, great gaps, astute positioning, mostly good decision-making. He has a bit of trouble against the rush, but again it's not his skating which is absolutely a strength with this player. He just seems to get a bit frustrated when he can't immediately use his notable strength as a tool to separate puck-carrier from puck.

Whipple guards the crease like it's his mother's reputation. You don't want to mess around with an extra slap at the goalie when he's on the ice. Whipple has a bit of Radko Gudas to him, in that he sometimes can toe the line between "physical hockey player" and "seeming sociopath". With your defensive defenders, this is not necessarily a bad thing at higher levels of hockey.

With the puck, Whipple is "functional" at best and "a guy on your team" at worst. He's a complete catch-and-release player whose sole desire is to quickly get the puck to someone who is better at offense. This is not to say he's weak -- he's an okay puck-handler and makes fine, if conservative, passing decisions. He won't hurt you on offense, but he won't help you either.

It's certainly this limitation which will drop Whipple to the later rounds, but he's a nice hometown pick for NJ in that range. The Devils only have one proactively physical LD in the prospect pool with Daniil Karpovich, and Whipple's mix of high mobility and defensive acuity make him a smart late-round selection.

So... Mr. Whipple isn't Charmin soft?

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2024 Draft Profile:

C Cole Beaudoin, Barrie OHL

Normally, skating is one of the most important tools in projecting a prospect's ascent into the NHL. If a player is an average or slightly-below-average skater, they need to be exceptional at absolutely everything else in order to become more than an average NHL player. Cole Beaudoin is an average skater who is exceptional at absolutely everything else.

Cole Beaudoin is a 6'2-200 natural center whose size measurements do not even begin to describe his physical impact. He's pound-for-pound the physically strongest player in the entire 2024 class, barring no one. He's just 18 and he would probably send Victor Herman flying if he caught him with his head down. He is best described as "freakishly strong", and this enables him to win pretty much every one-on-one puck battle I've ever seen him engaged in. He's immovable in the crease, and he can hold off a 20-year old, 220-pound defender off with one arm as if he's batting away a ladybug.

Beaudoin is probably the best defensive natural center in the 2024 class and, despite his skating limitations, his uncanny hockey IQ, elite compete level and tenacity make him in the handful of best forecheckers in the class. I don't think there's a better player on the cycle available -- not Celebrini, not Lindstrom, no one.

Cole Beaudoin is the ideal checking line center, sure, but he's also a lot more than that. He's a high-end passer with a near-elite shot. He's got a good set of hands. His offensive game is more based on being smart and cagey in reacting to situations as they occur than being a creative artiste like a Demidov or Catton, but it still scores points for his overall hockey IQ and, again, this is one of the smartest amateur hockey players you will see.

For Cole Beaudoin, a lack of good skating is not the difference between being an NHL player or not, but rather the difference of being a top 5 pick or a top 25 pick. He has adapted exceptionally to his singular weakness, and excels at funneling pucks to a small-area game where his lack of foot speed is no longer a detriment and all of his high-end tools play up. He'll never be a 1st line superstar, but he'll be an absolute stud middle 6 center for many seasons to come. If you miss prime-era Bobby Holik or Keith Primeau, this is the kind of center potential Beaudoin offers.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Only taken a brief look at MBN and Helenius, but I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Smart, aggressive on the puck, patient in the right ways and they play with a lot of emotion. They both solve a problem in the middle six.

Like Parise, Zajac or Mercer, it would be one of the easier mid-1st picks we've made.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Only taken a brief look at MBN and Helenius, but I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Smart, aggressive on the puck, patient in the right ways and they play with a lot of emotion. They both solve a problem in the middle six.

Like Parise, Zajac or Mercer, it would be one of the easier mid-1st picks we've made.
Agreed that Helenius and Nygard are "easy" picks in that they are as high-floor as prospects come and they both make sense in filling obvious team needs in NJ.

Helenius is a guy I think you draft to be the 3C behind Hughes and Hischier, but also as a sort of "3C+" who would probably be a feature on the 2PP and PK units. He'd also make any Devils 3rd line a heck of a lot more offensively dangerous than any of the 3Cs who have been employed during the Hischier/Hughes era.

If I'm drafting Nygard, it's almost specifically to be Jack Hughes' future RW. He'd be like an early birthday gift for Jack -- the speed to keep up, the power/interior game to create net front havoc and clear room around the circles, the forechecking acuity to dig out pucks and get a cycle going, the defensive brilliance to allow Jack to take more chances, the character and strength to punish opponents who try to take liberties hitting Jack.

The other important aspect to keep in mind is that, outside of obviously Celebrini and Demidov, Nygard and Helenius are probably the closest to the NHL of any forwards in the 2024 class. You're not going to need to wait too long.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I vividly remember that as a “knock” on Lundell, as well. Seems to be working out pretty well for Florida.

I can't remember if I said it here or elsewhere, but I distinctly remember comparing lundell to getting socks at Christmas.

Wasn't going to excited you when you unwrapped them, but you were going to get use out of them and be glad you had them

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Thanks for the response.

I live in Vegas, so for me it's fully just about whether the draft is actually worth it (and whether I can get the time from work off).

Love is totally worth it. I've seen it a few times. Enjoyed it quite a bit. But I'm also a sucker for most shows

4pm local start time for the first round can be a bit rough if you're wrapping up the work day to get over there. And it's kinda fun to loiter beforehand since some prospects (and their families) might be outside waiting for the doors to open like everybody else. One of my memories from before the 2010 Draft was seeing Derek Forbort being annoyed with having to take pictures with family members.

One thing I definitely miss when attending is the commentary during the first round. It's better now that it's three minutes between picks rather than five, but there can be a lot of empty time between picks. When I attended the 2012 NBA Draft at Prudential Center, they simulcast the ESPN coverage. But at least with the NHL Drafts I've attended, we got nothing in the arena. 2011 was probably the worst since Canadian teams had 11 first rounders and TSN had to interview each one which was a massive speed bump. Most of the time the three minute counter is artificial and the teams already entered in their selection, they're just waiting for the green light from the TV people to walk to the stage.

Day 2 is much more rapid fire. Since the Devils don't have a 4th rounder, I'd probably plan on doing a lap after we make our 3rd round pick and probably checking the view from the upper deck.

If you can't make Day 1, I'd definitely recommend to check out Day 2. Tickets are much cheaper and getting photos/autographs tends to be easier since not as many folks attend. Generally the vibe is a little bit more relaxed too. The Stanley Cup will probably be on display and the Day 2 line would be much shorter.

And it might be fun to hit up a nearby restaurant after the first round. In 2010, my buddy and I went to the steakhouse across the street from Staples Center. Charlie Coyle and his parents were the party in front of us. Shea Weber (and some Nashville staffers) were behind us.

I'm also planning on attending the Awards show the night before at the Fontainebleau. Hopefully I don't turn into the pushy adult trying to get the Hughes brothers to autograph my Team USA jersey.

This will be the last draft where all the GMs + scouts + other hockey ops folks attend in person. During the two pandemic drafts, they realized they could run the draft like the NBA/NFL and not have to fly 20+ people and get them hotel rooms.

Starting next year, the teams will stay home but it's expected that each team would send a notable alumnus or current player to announce the pick / welcome the prospect. So instead of Tom Fitzgerald and a small legion of scouts being on stage to get a photo with a prospect, it might end up being somebody like Patrik Elias and/or our owner instead.

We'll see if this leads to a drop in middle round prospects attending. One thing that is different about the NHL draft compared to the NBA/NFL is that most (if not all) of the top 60 guys attend along with a decent amount of middle round picks. Occasionally you'll hear a big roar for a late round guy; Dustin Wolf was expected to go higher than the 7th, but he had a big contingent from his junior team in Everett make the drive up to Vancouver in 2019. With the NBA/NFL, maybe ten guys might show up while most would rather be at home and not risk the awkward Aaron Rodgers / Brady Quinn drop in the green room.

In 2011, my friend and I snuck into the prospects section and that added to the experience. It's one thing to see it on TV but it was interesting to see Brandon Saad ten feet away sweating out the last few picks in the first round. I was unknowingly sitting among Phliip Danault's group, so when he got picked everybody jumped up and started celebrating. For some reason I was suddenly clapping as if we were all on the Price is Right or something.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
dont know if anyone had a chance to catch the memorial cup final tonight, but that 3rd period is exactly why a lot of dickinson supporters reject the notion of him being a lower upside/2nd pair type projection

if he gets the green light to carry the puck and take some chances, hes extremely dangerous with his speed and instincts off the rush/while lapping the offensive zone. sure, its not like he has ++ playmaking ability or anything, but i dont think it matters as much when defenders simply cannot stop him from getting to where he wants to go

totally dominated the end of that game and was arguably the biggest reason london was able to rally. he'll be interesting to watch once the whole "bumper bonk" thing ends and he gets some real offensive opportunity

my top defender in the class, though i do have a lot of time for anyone arguing buium, hes right there with him. i really cant imagine dickinson makes it to 10, but what a treat if so

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
My (semi-)final list of MY GUYS and NOT MY GUYS this year in the first round(-ish):

MY GUYS
Catton
Dickinson
Buium
Helenius
Luchanko

NOT MY GUYS
Lindstrom
Sennecke
Silayev
Iginla
Jiricek
Hutson

Only real definition for this is whether I think I like them more or less than broader (non-HF Devils) consensus. More guys near the top half of the round obviously, because I have followed them more and there's more separation between tiers.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
My (semi-)final list of MY GUYS and NOT MY GUYS this year in the first round(-ish):

MY GUYS
Catton
Dickinson
Buium
Helenius
Luchanko

NOT MY GUYS
Lindstrom
Sennecke
Silayev
Iginla
Jiricek
Hutson

Only real definition for this is whether I think I like them more or less than broader (non-HF Devils) consensus. More guys near the top half of the round obviously, because I have followed them more and there's more separation between tiers.
You will regret that when Hutson goes first in the redraft.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

MY GUYS
Catton
Dickinson
Buium
Helenius
Luchanko

NOT MY GUYS
Lindstrom
Sennecke
Silayev
Iginla
Jiricek
Hutson

Why you dont like Lindstrom? Health?

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Why you dont like Lindstrom? Health?
Health for sure worries me, but also I’m not sure I see the offensive upside to justify taking him in the 5 range, which is where most people have him. I think the BIG CENTER thing is papering over some of his warts as a prospect.

I don’t think he’s a bad prospect, I just think he’s more 8-15 than 3-7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad