GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
NHL posted a video asking the kids if they didn't play hockey, what would they want to do. Lindstrom said he'd be a wide receiver. So you know. There's probably an angle there.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana

Still want Demidov if he there first.

I would like Demidov as well. Lindstrom if truly healthy seems like a slam dunk too though. Having Fantilli, Lindstrom, Voronkov all with skill and snarl down the middle would be amazing.

Obviously I don’t want to rush a guy, but part of me wonders what Lindstrom’s development path may look like. I doubt he needs two more years in juniors- he needs to learn how to use his size vs pro level players. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see him get a few games this year, and be on the roster full time for 25/26 season.

Reactions: majormajor

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
NHL posted a video asking the kids if they didn't play hockey, what would they want to do. Lindstrom said he'd be a wide receiver. So you know. There's probably an angle there.
Think I read somewhere he ran a 40 yard dash time that would have been top 10 at the nfl combine. Dudes an athlete

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
I read that, too. I want to learn more about his background. How does this insanely athletic tall black kid from Western Canada have a Swedish last name?
From his single mother who is white and a blonde, I'd wager.

EDIT: That was her in the video posted above, right? Anyway, him having a Swedish surname takes me back to when I was a kid reading about Eric Lindros and thinking that it was so cool that this Canadian superstar had a Swedish name.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus

EDIT: That was her in the video posted above, right? Anyway, him having a Swedish surname takes me back to when I was a kid reading about Eric Lindros and thinking that it was so cool that this Canadian superstar had a Swedish name.
I’m even more impressed with him if he’s managed to get to where he is with a single mom. That is no mean feat in the upper echelons of hockey. The last player drafted high with a single mom that I can even think of was Tyson Jost. I was raised by a single mom myself.

(is Lindros not Greek?)

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
I’m even more impressed with him if he’s managed to get to where he is with a single mom. That is no mean feat in the upper echelons of hockey. The last player drafted high with a single mom that I can even think of was Tyson Jost. I was raised by a single mom myself.

(is Lindros not Greek?)
Yeah, it was in that article in The Athletic on Lindstrom. He and his mother came across as impressive people in that article. Heartwarming stuff.

And no, Lindros means linden rose in Swedish. :)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I'm wondering if the tail is wagging the dog here.

The betting markets have been steadily moving towards LIndstrom at #4 throughout the day. So Hedger is either part of pushing that or he's following it.

And FWIW Buium is now the heavy favorite to Anaheim. Figures, I have him ranked third. Technically this would break my Anaheim streak because I have Demidov a bit ahead but given their team needs it's a great pick.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
I'm wondering if the tail is wagging the dog here.

The betting markets have been steadily moving towards LIndstrom at #4 throughout the day. So Hedger is either part of pushing that or he's following it.

And FWIW Buium is now the heavy favorite to Anaheim. Figures, I have him ranked third. Technically this would break my Anaheim streak because I have Demidov a bit ahead but given their team needs it's a great pick.
Of course he is following it
As a reporter he reports what he sees or hears, whether accurate or propaganda from the team

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

EDIT: That was her in the video posted above, right?

She is visibly First Nations, and not White, according to how those are defined in Canada.

We can presume that she must have Swedish ancestry on her father's side. They mention her mother is full Cree.

It's becoming very rare in general for anyone from a low income background to make it this far. You can't just play ice hockey outside anymore, you need to train for most of the year and you need help from trained coaches and skill trainers to rise above your age group. Cayden would have had to persuade a lot of people to help him with that support.

It's also becoming rare for players to emerge from tiny remote towns, where there isn't any advanced training. Lindstrom is from Chetwynd, a town of 2,500 people, about two hours northeast of Prince George in northern British Columbia.

It all tells us some things about Cayden. One is that you can see where he gets his lack of pretension from. You can tell that he's a small town kid. Another thing is that it's impressive how he's developed such a great base of skills and has such great details for the game, coming from a background without early skills training. He'll be playing in the NHL mostly vs kids who had skills coaches from a young age.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Of course he is following it
As a reporter he reports what he sees or hears, whether accurate or propaganda from the team

Yes but also sports reporters often take what they gather is the likely outcome, and then attribute it to unnamed sources when they don't actually have any confirmation.

Reactions: Fred Glover

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Not sure why I was expecting NHL.com to have a stream, obviously they'll never have that in this century... :facepalm: Just as sure as Bettman getting boo'd on stage.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 9
    Staked: $30,850.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3