HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
Why would Denver staff be talking to the scout of some random NHL team about how much Montreal loves Buium?

That being said, I wouldn't hate Buium at 5, but I think that would lead into either a Guhle trade or moving Guhle to the right side. I don't see any scenario where we move Hutson.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Why would Denver staff be talking to the scout of some random NHL team about how much Montreal loves Buium?

That being said, I wouldn't hate Buium at 5, but I think that would lead into either a Guhle trade or moving Guhle to the right side. I don't see any scenario where we move Hutson.
I think Guhle for a Necas could get the convo going quite quick if the Habs love Buium. But Buium makes Hutson's role quite redundant if Buium suddenly gets most LD PP time.

In this scenario, Hutson needs to be the guy moved, obviously if such a scenario happens but Buium could easily stay 2 extra years in college and by then you'll have a clearer idea of what you have with your LDs

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
The context is that Kravtsov wasn't ready for the NHL after playing in the MHL/VHL/KHL and the bridge was to go to the AHL and he didn't like it there, so he went back, then came back to the NHL, and bounced around between leagues and didn't really have a stationary development path.

So teams are worried, OK he comes over after another year in the MHL-VHL-KHL and he's probably not NHL ready, so will he accept going to junior? Will he go to the AHL and like it? If he doesn't like it does he go back to the KHL for a few years? It's a horror story of a development path with too many zigs and zags. That's all he meant.

They aren't comparable situations at all to me.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Iggy's muh boi. Catton looks really sharp, and Sennecke has extremely good hands and high level play making. But I'm sticking to my guns on this one.

Same here. Are you taking Demidov or Lindstrom ahead of Iggy? I'd take Iggy over Lindstrom but it's a tough call for me with Demidov. Still leaning towards Iggy. Good ol Canadian boy who will be strong and the type who shows up shift/shift. Lots of skill to like with sound skating. Knows how to play in the trenches. Yeah, it's right there in front of our face.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
6'1" is not on the smaller side.

As for Iggy,

From 22:01

Weight bud. Weight and strength! I don't care if he was 5'-11" or 6'-1". Weight/Strength has a significant factor over Height. Height advantage comes when that player skates well and has a long reach. Their ability to cut around guys and also stick check is an advantage. But that has little to with Size.

Size = Weight/Strength for me. Height plays a factor but not as much as weight/strength. Then you ask if that player is gritty or not. Sometimes the bigger stronger guys are gentile giants.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I hate to agree with McCagg...but Vanacker with the end of our 1st round pick? Yeah, I'm in. Kid will be insane to play against. A Lehkonen.

I honestly don't know why McCagg has a bad reputation when other "insiders" are also throwing out bone head click bait statements as well. Why does McCagg get attacked more for it? Not sure but I find a lot of fans are gullible to the bandwagon popular movements.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Not saying I rush to make these moves because I like both Hutson and Iggy but this could be a possibility.

Hutson, Barron, and Jets 1st
for
Zegras

Draft Dickenson or Buium.

* Dickenson/Buium vs Hutson
* Zegras vs Iggy/Demidov

Habs have two significant assets under 190 lbs. Caufield and Hutson. Find me a top 5 or top 10 contender with two top of the line-up assets who are under 190 lbs? I don't know the answer but I suspect it's difficult to find.

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Say what you want about Hutson, his style of play and size are two MAJOR impediments that might prevent him from becoming a D who plays 23+ minutes night in and night out.

And I'm not as high as others on Guhle.

Anyway, lineup composition should be out of the question when it comes to drafting a player as far as I'm concerned.

I'd rather Dickinson, but I would not be super pissed about Buium.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Say what you want about Hutson, his style of play and size are two MAJOR impediments that might prevent him from becoming a D who plays 23+ minutes night in and night out.

And I'm not as high as others on Guhle.

Anyway, lineup composition should be out of the question when it comes to drafting a player as far as I'm concerned.

I'd rather Dickinson, but I would not be super pissed about Buium.

Hutson is our new shinny undersized toy. We all love his offensive ability and creativity but I think his size will hold him back and he's also going to get hit hard at times. I'll be surprised if he stays out of injury trouble to be honest. A shoulder problem is coming. Big boys banging him on the glass.

Guhle is good bud. Don't evaluate him on points.

Dickinson or Buium. I prefer Demidov or Iggy but I'd be OK with one of those D

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Hutson is our new shinny undersized toy. We all love his offensive ability and creativity but I think his size will hold him back and he's also going to get hit hard at times. I'll be surprised if he stays out of injury trouble to be honest. A shoulder problem is coming. Big boys banging him on the glass
You need to get caught for that to happen. Lane doesn’t put himself in vulnerable positions, he’s excellent at separating a forechecker from the puck and has the elite agility to avoid attackers.

I think Guhle for a Necas could get the convo going quite quick if the Habs love Buium. But Buium makes Hutson's role quite redundant if Buium suddenly gets most LD PP time.

In this scenario, Hutson needs to be the guy moved, obviously if such a scenario happens but Buium could easily stay 2 extra years in college and by then you'll have a clearer idea of what you have with your LDs
Not just PP time, but if I’m using a 5th overall pick on an offensive defenceman, he better get 60%+ offensive zone starts. It just turns our most exciting prospect into a redundant one.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
  1. Listening to Chris Peters: Demidov is insistent he will not sign an extension beyond next season. He's not doing the on ice piece due to an ankle injury but he's resuming duties in 2 weeks. Between 5'11-6'0 right now.

2. Still unclear if this is pushing his stock up or not, belief is he is going top 5

3. Difficult to get a read on who is really interested on Demidov

4. But has cooled some concerns about him.

5. Growing belief that Sennecke is a top 10 pick but push into that 6-7-8 range.

6. Coming out of the combine ,the Sennecke love was apparent more than going into it.

7. No hope that he will be there after 10 - Utah, Ottawa as destinations.

8. No one clear on what Anaheim is going to do at 3.

9. Named Yakemchuk, Silayev, Lindstrom, Demidov, Levshunov for Anaheim

10. Luchanko sneak into the 15-20 range.

11. Fewer than 22 teams will list Trevor Connelly on their draft board - still thinks he goes round 1. But he did himself no favors at the combine. Teams did their due diligence of course.

12. Doesn't believe anything at the combine materially changed how things will unfold at the top of the draft.
    the russian combine*

13. One concern even if he doesn't extend is that if SKA pushes him into the MHL next year, he won't be ready to go into the NHL right away, so how willing is he to go to the AHL or the junior and develop? Mentions Kravtsov as a horror story to what happens when you bounce around like that.

This is a lot more nuanced than some of the things we were reading here. There was a chance Demidov went top 2-4 before this week. That chance is still there and it likely hasn't changed much. I mean, these top teams have known about this player for years now. It was probably just putting the dots on the I's, like the Habs were doing with Slafkovsky. Chicago's dilemma was high end D vs a linemate for Bedard for 10 months now and nothing has changed.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
People talk about our smaller players being injury prone as if Dach and Guhle haven't been the ones missing significant time

Is it about being injury prone ?

Concerns about size is usually moreso about how they will physically handle the play in the post-season, meaning will they be able to play their game or be shut down as the games get tighter. The other concern is will they be able to impose themselves physically without the puck in shut down roles which is equally as important.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
  1. Listening to Chris Peters: Demidov is insistent he will not sign an extension beyond next season. He's not doing the on ice piece due to an ankle injury but he's resuming duties in 2 weeks. Between 5'11-6'0 right now.

2. Still unclear if this is pushing his stock up or not, belief is he is going top 5

3. Difficult to get a read on who is really interested on Demidov

4. But has cooled some concerns about him.

5. Growing belief that Sennecke is a top 10 pick but push into that 6-7-8 range.

6. Coming out of the combine ,the Sennecke love was apparent more than going into it.

7. No hope that he will be there after 10 - Utah, Ottawa as destinations.

8. No one clear on what Anaheim is going to do at 3.

9. Named Yakemchuk, Silayev, Lindstrom, Demidov, Levshunov for Anaheim

10. Luchanko sneak into the 15-20 range.

11. Fewer than 22 teams will list Trevor Connelly on their draft board - still thinks he goes round 1. But he did himself no favors at the combine. Teams did their due diligence of course.

12. Doesn't believe anything at the combine materially changed how things will unfold at the top of the draft.
    the russian combine*

13. One concern even if he doesn't extend is that if SKA pushes him into the MHL next year, he won't be ready to go into the NHL right away, so how willing is he to go to the AHL or the junior and develop? Mentions Kravtsov as a horror story to what happens when you bounce around like that.

austin316

Oct 4, 2016
I know I have questioned Sennecke in the past weeks but the more I’ve thought on it I want him at #5, even ahead of Lindstrom and Demidov. The thought of a 6’4 winger with his mitts is very enticing….

I really wish we had two top 15 picks.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
They aren't comparable situations at all to me.

How aren't they?

If Demidov isn't NHL ready at the end of this year - he wants to come over to NA right away. So the option is either junior or the AHL. If he doesn't like being in those leagues, the same way Kravtsov didn't, and decides to sign back into the KHL for his development - it becomes the same type of thing that happened with Kravtsov.

That's the concern that he won't be NHL ready so what does his development look like in NA and will he have the ability to withstand the culture shock, playing in the AHL, riding the bus, in a foreign land, or will he go back to the KHL and have a tumultuous development situation similar to Kravtsov?

They aren't saying they are the same quality of prospect, just talking about the development pitfalls that can be there in his situation.

I know I have questioned Sennecke in the past weeks but the more I’ve thought on it I want him at #5, even ahead of Lindstrom and Demidov. The thought of a 6’4 winger with his mitts is very enticing….

I really wish we had two top 15 picks.

This is generally what happens when people -actually- watch Sennecke.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
I'm sure Norman Flynn thinks the Habs should trade the pick for Barclay Goodrow.

"Des Demidov, Iginla, Buium ce sont des petits joueurs, tu en as déjà dans l'équipe, avec Cole Caufield, Suzuki, Newhook, tandis que les grands attaquants comme Goodrow, ça ne court pas les rues. Donc oui, je suis prêt à donner le 5th choix au total pour Goodrow." :popcorn:

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
How aren't they?

If Demidov isn't NHL ready at the end of this year - he wants to come over to NA right away. So the option is either junior or the AHL. If he doesn't like being in those leagues, the same way Kravtsov didn't, and decides to sign back into the KHL for his development - it becomes the same type of thing that happened with Kravtsov.

That's the concern that he won't be NHL ready so what does his development look like in NA and will he have the ability to withstand the culture shock, playing in the AHL, riding the bus, in a foreign land, or will he go back to the KHL and have a tumultuous development situation similar to Kravtsov?

They aren't saying they are the same quality of prospect, just talking about the development pitfalls that can be there in his situation.

This is generally what happens when people -actually- watch Sennecke.

The only thing that's iffy on sennecke is his skating and that might be due to the growth spurt. I just hope it's that and not a lack of skating skill like KK

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
The only thing that's iffy on sennecke is his skating and that might be due to the growth spurt. I just hope it's that and not a lack of skating skill like KK

vORwLA.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad