• Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 76 18.0%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Somewhat unrelated to the current topic, but I'd be careful about "MAN I'd really like to have a couple of picks in this draft it's SOOOO deep".

There's an element of bias in all that. You read a lot about the qualities of several prospect and get excited about their potential, but in the end it's just that; potential.

And there are discussions EACH and EVERY year on how "getting a second high pick would be huge". In fact, it's not AS huge as we think it is now.

I would not hesitate to trade a guy like Matheson for a proven, young NHL forward in a trade that would bring, say, a Necas in. But I would not trade him for a second top-half 1st rounder at this point of the rebuild neither.

Last edited:

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
@skip

I'm adding him to the @Skip Bayless DND list.

They don't even look like real warmup drills. 💀

Somewhat unrelated to the current topic, but I'd be careful about "MAN I'd really like to have a couple of picks in this draft it's SOOOO deep".

There's an element of bias in all that. You read a lot about the qualities of several prospect and get excited about their potential, but in the end it's just that; potential.

And there are discussions EACH and EVERY year on how "getting a second high pick would be huge". In fact, it's not AS huge as we think it is now.

I would not hesitate to trade a guy like Matheson for a proven, young NHL forward in a trade that would bring, say, a Necas in. But I would not trade him for a second top-half 1st rounder at this point of the rebuild neither.

AFAIC, we should trade all of our picks outside the first round.

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
They don't even look like real warmup drills. 💀

AFAIC, we should trade all of our picks outside the first round.

I mean, it's ok to keep a couple because in the end it's a dart game. The more darts you throw the higher your odds are.

But to suggest we should trade important, proven element for another dart is too much IMO. And most people who advocate for that will realize it a few days after the draft.

It's natural, the hype is higher the closer you get to the draft. Even some GMs give in and overpay for first rounders more than they would several months back come draft day.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018

I generally agree with this, and I think that Hughes is also keenly aware based on the Dach and Newhook trades the last couple drafts where we traded picks for the forwards.

I have a growing feeling that the WPG first will be traded in a package for a young forward.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I genuinely wonder if Sennecke is better perceived by the NHL staff than the likes of Iginla, Lindstrom and Demidov.

Reading those scout sentences that comes out with the guides and every article popping out it gives this feeling.

Iginla - it certainly seems that way. Not over Lindstrom unless the medicals are bad and I can see a world where Sennecke goes over Demidov but I wouldn't expect it. It wouldn't be able perception of Sennecke being a 'better' prospect than Demidov, imo.

Buttons mock draft seems like it could be a realistic order for how the top 5 unfolds.
1.Celery
2. Old man Lev
3. Dick
4. Demi
5. Lindstrom

I don't expect Dickinson to go 3 at all - seems lower with NHL teams than you'd expect. I think 3 is Silayev and I don't see CBJ going Demidov over Lindstrom.

It looks like Celebrini-Lev-Silayev-Lindstrom-Demidov to me, but two weeks out so plenty of room for that perception to change.

Reactions: Deebs

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Which is why I think, if what Arpon said is true, that they go Parekh at 5 on the off chance Demidov and Lindstrom aren’t there.

That's the one that makes the most sense for me. He's a right shot defender which we only really have Reinbacher/Mailloux/Konyushkov and Barron, but Barron might find himself out soon with his waiver status.

Buium would just compound a problem while not bringing anything Hutson doesn't already bring.

Reactions: Rozz

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
That's the one that makes the most sense for me. He's a right shot defender which we only really have Reinbacher/Mailloux/Konyushkov and Barron, but Barron might find himself out soon with his waiver status.

Buium would just compound a problem while not bringing anything Hutson doesn't already bring.
Agreed. He creates offence differently than Hutson and Buium plus the bonus’s of being RD which fits better with the players the Habs already have.

If management is serious about adding talent, he’s the next best thing after those two forwards. And the Habs definitely lack talent.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Agreed. He creates offence differently than Hutson and Buium plus the bonus’s of being RD which fits better with the players the Habs already have.

If management is serious about adding talent, he’s the next best thing after those two forwards. And the Habs definitely lack talent.

I'd go Sennecke if Demidov/Lindstrom are gone.. but Parekh is just behind him in that sense, I think getting a forward is more important for us.

Deebs

Life is an illusion
Feb 5, 2014

So if we draft Parekh, I don't see a defense corps that can ice both he and Hutson on the same team and be a legitimate contender. Given his offensive talents, making him available in the trade market could bring us a solid return.

Reactions: dcyhabs

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
So if we draft Parekh, I don't see a defense corps that can ice both he and Hutson on the same team and be a legitimate contender. Given his offensive talents, making him available in the trade market could bring us a solid return.

Same issue happens if you draft Buium, only it's bigger because they're both the same handedness.

Having Forsling and Montour doesn't stop Florida from competing.

I think there's room for 2 but for me they've gotta be opposite handedness.. I think it really troubles Mailloux.. so that's why I still lean forward.. Mailloux and Hutson covers our offensive needs on the back end, Engstrom also has offense to his game.

Deebs

Life is an illusion
Feb 5, 2014
Same issue happens if you draft Buium, only it's bigger because they're both the same handedness.

Having Forsling and Montour doesn't stop Florida from competing.

I think there's room for 2 but for me they've gotta be opposite handedness.. I think it really troubles Mailloux.. so that's why I still lean forward.. Mailloux and Hutson covers our offensive needs on the back end, Engstrom also has offense to his game.
Agree with the Buium reference. In regards to the Florida team, they are so strong defensively as a team, they can get away with a somewhat smaller back end, but even then, both guys are 200lbs. Also, Hutson will never be as defensively stout as either Forsling or Montour imo.

Reactions: Vachon23

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Agree with the Buium reference. In regards to the Florida team, they are so strong defensively as a team, they can get away with a somewhat smaller back end, but even then, both guys are 200lbs. Also, Hutson will never be as defensively stout as either Forsling or Montour imo.

We will see.. Forsling was plucked off waivers, I wouldn't put a limit on what a competitive and smart kid like Hutson can become in the NHL level.

Ultimately, I don't see a fit on defense that doesn't cause issues with the make-up of it and forcing us to make a trade, which will have other teams seeing us coming from a mile away.

Hopefully things hold and we are picking one of Demidov/Lindstrom.. that puts us into straight BPA with a lean on Center in next years draft where we will be picking from 6-14.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
If I were to guess today who we will end up with at #5, it's Sennecke.

Based on the chatter around and team needs, I feel quite certain that Celebrini, Levshunov, and Lindstrom will all be gone by the time we pick.

There's a decent chance that Demidov is also picked before us. Also, I'm not fully convinced that even if he is there, that Hughes will pick Demidov over Sennecke. Hughes has said in the past we need size and skill in our Top 6. He wants guys that bring the qualities you win with, and we've heard about how it's not just about what they are today, but what they can be. Sennecke is pretty big, skilled, and he elevated his game in the playoffs. He showed how he can be a pretty good forechecking presence and puck thief.

After seeing us take Slafkovsky and Reinbacher in the past two drafts (for better for worse; we will see), it feels most to me like Sennecke fits the bill.

I think if not Sennecke, the most likely others are Demidov, Iginla, and Parekh.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
If I were to guess today who we will end up with at #5, it's Sennecke.

Based on the chatter around and team needs, I feel quite certain that Celebrini, Levshunov, and Lindstrom will all be gone by the time we pick.

There's a decent chance that Demidov is also picked before us. Also, I'm not fully convinced that even if he is there, that Hughes will pick Demidov over Sennecke. Hughes has said in the past we need size and skill in our Top 6. He wants guys that bring the qualities you win with, and we've heard about how it's not just about what they are today, but what they can be. Sennecke is pretty big, skilled, and he elevated his game in the playoffs. He showed how he can be a pretty good forechecking presence and puck thief.

After seeing us take Slafkovsky and Reinbacher in the past two drafts (for better for worse; we will see), it feels most to me like Sennecke fits the bill.

I think if not Sennecke, the most likely others are Demidov, Iginla, and Parekh.

I fully understand what you're saying, but after watching the behind the scenes from last year and knowing that he was the one who signed Panarin, I think this time around, Gorton will veto the rest of them and pick who he thinks is the most talented forward. He wanted michkov last year but was overruled and went with it but warned them. Me thinks it won't be like that this time around

Reactions: Trabdy2

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I fully understand what you're saying, but after watching the behind the scenes from last year and knowing that he was the one who signed Panarin, I think this time around, Gorton will veto the rest of them and pick who he thinks is the most talented forward. He wanted michkov last year but was overruled and went with it but warned them. Me thinks it won't be like that this time around
I was thinking the same thing, but at the same time, I think that if he is really that skilled and NHL scouts are that high on him, then it would seem more likely that Demidov is picked ahead of us.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

It seems that the only forwards Demidov would lose out to would be Lindstrom or Celebrini. I'm high on Sennecke but I don't think they're passing on Demidov if he is there for him.

Reactions: jrom

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4