• Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 65 16.5%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 20 5.1%

• Total voters

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If Chicago go with a defenceman, I wonder if Hughes thinks of trading up with the Ducks to have a shot at his top forward, or if he’s satisfied with whoever drops to 5.
I would take my chances in that eventuality.

However, if Chicago took Demidov, then it becomes an issue of how badly they don’t want to miss out on Lindstrom, assuming there is marked enough separation in their rankings between Lindstrom vs. Iginla, Senneke, one of the highly touted D.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
A sub replacement level forward is still a bad 1st round pick regardless of them playing 2.5 full seasons

There is a big difference between top 10 and late 1sts where there's like 50% chance late 1sts are even NHLers and some drafts are worse than others (that one was bad).
There's is only a couple players picked after him that turned out decent - Theodore probably being the best.

So ya not the best pick possible but not a 'bad' pick.

Reactions: Runner77

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Advanced metrics and analytic stats bring a lot of interesting angles to a scouting discussion, but it definitely should never be THE main tool you use to rate a player. There's just too many variables and in the end you can make the numbers say pretty much whatever you want them to.

His is just not good, that's my problem. He can't adjust for leagues changing over time. He doesn't use data points like international tournaments. His own model says that Demidovs season this year in the MHL would translate to like a 60 point season in the NHL today. It's just a very rudimentary and flawed system that turns points into NHL equivalency points.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Ours was in quite recent memory. The sentiment is obviously still alive for many fans here as well
I don’t know of any fan that is wishing for that type of one dimensional player. In the Wild West days of the wipeout, bench clearing brawls and unbridled goonery, it was a necessity.

If your reference point is prior management, there is more than one reason why they failed, a lot of them had to do with incompetence. One of Bergevin’s first moves was to not renew the contract of the analytics expert on staff. Another was not to hold the scouting staff to account.

Without going into a long tirade about Bergevin’s shortcomings, HuGo did inherit a lot of the scouts from the prior regime, plus chose to name Lapointe in a senior role and who knows how much of what Lapointe did under Bergevin was brain dead. At least, HuGo is much more progressive, they have a game plan and are implementing it and have multiple means to validate Lapointe’s input.

I think Bergevin didn’t solely favor size since most of his rosters were undersized. It was simply a failed blueprint that he kept churning and that ultimately led to his dismissal.

I would personally never sacrifice elite skill over size but I’m just a fan on some hockey forum. I would venture that neither would any NHL GM.

Doesn’t mean size is not important as we know that the NHL is the only pro league in the world that has two sets of rules — one for the regular season and the other for the playoffs where almost anything goes.

All of the recent SC finalists have tended to be teams who are bigger-sized and more physical. So size is an attribute to be mindful of among other attributes, when a potential draftee is being evaluated but less so when there is a rare opportunity to land a player possessing elite level skill.

Of course, when a team is selecting early, you can bundle both size and skill (Slaf, Dach, etc).

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
There is a big difference between top 10 and late 1sts where there's like 50% chance late 1sts are even NHLers and some drafts are worse than others (that one was bad).
There's is only a couple players picked after him that turned out decent - Theodore probably being the best.

So ya not the best pick possible but not a 'bad' pick.
I'd say it should also be judged against what the value of a late 1st is pre-draft. To turn that into 69 games and 8 points for us is pretty disappointing.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
His is just not good, that's my problem. He can't adjust for leagues changing over time. He doesn't use data points like international tournaments. His own model says that Demidovs season this year in the MHL would translate to like a 60 point season in the NHL today. It's just a very rudimentary and flawed system that turns points into NHL equivalency points.
It’s an interesting exercise for large datasets, but when you use it to rank individual players, the flaws are massive.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Not as impressed by Lindstrom as many around here, I don't see him at C and don't think he has more than ~65 pt powerforward potential. Still valuable, but he's closer to 10 on my list.
I know Demidov was part of the options but if you end up with a 6'4 216lbs 65-70pt freak with a physical game... that is well worth a 5th OA pick. Regardless if he's at C or not.

There's basically only winning outcomes when it comes down to Demidov or Lindstrom.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
It's amazing how each and every draft makes a team's prospect pool look completely different as it gets replenished with the new class of draftees. But I am particularly excited for whoever we add with our 1sts. One quality forward at 5 and our future looks promising. Demidov would be a dream, but Lindstrom/Iginla really help bump down legitimate top six talents into the bottom six, and creating a proper top nine (which is what you need to compete).

My dream would be to move up from the WPG pick and draft a goal scorer with size type along with whoever we get at 5.

Reactions: bopeep

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
It's amazing how each and every draft makes a team's prospect pool look completely different as it gets replenished with the new class of draftees. But I am particularly excited for whoever we add with our 1sts. One quality forward at 5 and our future looks promising. Demidov would be a dream, but Lindstrom/Iginla really help bump down legitimate top six talents into the bottom six, and creating a proper top nine (which is what you need to compete).

My dream would be to move up from the WPG pick and draft a goal scorer with size type along with whoever we get at 5.
That sounds alot like either MBN, or Hage who's more of a dual threat but has a wicked shot. Chernyshov might not be as skilled, but he has alot of Adrian Kempe-like traits.

Last edited:

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Are we small just because of Caufield and Hutson? Because no one else on the team when we'll be competing is small

Should remain this way and we need to get bigger.

Look what Florida did to the Rangers last night. That's a big team win, that's what it does. Sure playing big is more than size, it's playing physically. But we can't have too many players that are so small that playing big becomes inconsistent.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
USA Today article going through the results of three other online mock drafts including from ESPN, The Athletic and SportsGrid

5. Montreal Canadiens​

The Athletic: Ivan Demidov, F, SKA-1946 (MHL)​

ESPN: Tij Iginla, F, Kelowna Rockets (WHL)​

SportsGrid: Cayden Lindstrom, F, Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL)​

Montreal scoops up Demidov and Lindstrom in two of these mock drafts. The other keeps with the theme of forwards with Iginla. The son of Hockey Hall of Famer Jarome Iginla, his puck skills and skate speed make him a scoring threat. He needs to improve on the other end of the ice but could develop with time.

ESPN: "In every draft year, there is a riser. Tij Iginla is that guy in 2024... Even if all his offensive talents don't translate to the NHL level, Iginla's ability to impact the game as a 200-foot player give him a higher floor than those of other offensive talents. If he hits his ceiling, he's a serious candidate to be a 70-point scoring winger who can play in tough matchups. Those are quite rare in today's NHL."

SportsGrid: "It's no secret that the Montreal Canadiens are looking to add a forward here. GM Kent Hughes has confirmed as much, which leads the Habs brass being thrilled that big center Cayden Lindstrom remains on the board."

I would be happy with any one of those choices.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What would your reactions be if we trade down with the 5th and then trade up with the Jets 1st and other adds to have two picks from 8-13 range.

We walk out with Eiserman and Catton. Like, Hate, or Meh?

Should remain this way and we need to get bigger.

Look what Florida did to the Rangers last night. That's a big team win, that's what it does. Sure playing big is more than size, it's playing physically. But we can't have too many players that are so small that playing big becomes inconsistent.

100% agree. Bigger but don't reach. Caufield and Hutson are enough for smaller type players. Our future targets should be similar to Slaf and Reinbacher picks. Size, skating, skill, hard workers.

Of course we can try to draft skilled smaller types with 3rd+ rounders.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Tij is going 5-10 in this draft but in a redraft in 3+ years, he is going 1-5.

Worried someone takes him 2-4. Not a big worry but it's in the back of my mind. Hopefully in this case, Demidov is there for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad