Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
The NHL needs a similar system to the NBA with bird rights and having the ability to go over the cap to sign certain players. The league has technically grown under Bettman, but he’s done a lot of stupid shit that’s hindered progress. Sometimes it feels like a lot of the growth is in spite of him
It feels that way because it's true.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think the truth is somewhere in the middle (as usual lol). But I maintain my stance that the tax-differential isn't really a thing in the NHL. It's just a scapegoat for especially Canadian fans, for why their teams have been so bad they haven't been able to win a cup in 30 years.

You may be right when it comes to players and where they end up.

It's 100000% a thing for the cap. Even if you load a deal with SB's, that still reflects in the cap hit. These no tax teams are able to get players in for lower hits even if the take home money ends up being the same with all the bells and whistles that need to be played to receive the same money somewhere else.

That is the real competitive imbalance that exists, not LTIR which is there for everyone to use (and people make too big a deal about this, the league reviews everything to ensure that teams aren't just stashing people on LTIR for the f*** of it.)

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
I'll 100% take Kane for a year or 2 as our prospects develop. Id rather sign him then take on some crappy contracts wondering if theyll work with the wonder twins.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I think the truth is somewhere in the middle (as usual lol). But I maintain my stance that the tax-differential isn't really a thing in the NHL. It's just a scapegoat for especially Canadian fans, for why their teams have been so bad they haven't been able to win a cup in 30 years.
You're probably right that it isn't as big a deal as we sometimes make it out to be. But even if its just a 5% difference, or even less, in a cap environment it should be addressed.
Cap is the biggest limiting factor in doing business as far as rosters, and no team should have a built in advantage or disadvantage there.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 10.36.24 AM.png

You can't tell me that and his playoff clutchness, swagger etc rubbing off on the team wouldn't have helped us

Reactions: Atax

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I'm a no on Kane. If he felt like he left something on the table, he should have signed last year. What idiot says "I want to join a team that has a chance to win the Cup" and then signs not only with the Red Wings but arguably in the top two rivals on the Blackhawks? Imagine if you were say Dallas, and you acquired pending UFA Kreider and instead of resigning with you he shunned your team to sign with the Islanders or Devils. Blink 182 Tom Delonge wtf. I don't even remembering Kane gelling with BFFs, even if hobbled. Yeah, F that guy for pretending he was healthy. I'd consider it if he's signing for league minimum.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
You may be right when it comes to players and where they end up.

It's 100000% a thing for the cap. Even if you load a deal with SB's, that still reflects in the cap hit. These no tax teams are able to get players in for lower hits even if the take home money ends up being the same with all the bells and whistles that need to be played to receive the same money somewhere else.

That is the real competitive imbalance that exists, not LTIR which is there for everyone to use (and people make too big a deal about this, the league reviews everything to ensure that teams aren't just stashing people on LTIR for the f*** of it.)
So what's preventing these players from asking even more money from non-tax state teams? Or maybe, these players are willing to sign there because the teams are usually good, and the weather is also nice.

Florida Panthers were mediocre/bad for over 20 years, and had a hard time getting free agents. No-one talked about their tax and weather advantage then. Now they are run by a competent GM, they are a good team, and people love to bring up the taxes and weather.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
View attachment 883950
You can't tell me that and his playoff clutchness, swagger etc rubbing off on the team wouldn't have helped us

Yeah this is true.

He did a great job rubbing off on all those red wings and dragged them into the playo-

So what's preventing these players from asking even more money from non-tax state teams? Or maybe, these players are willing to sign there because the teams are usually good, and the weather is also nice.

Florida Panthers were mediocre/bad for over 20 years, and had a hard time getting free agents. No-one talked about their tax and weather advantage then. Now they are run by a competent GM, they are a good team, and people love to bring up the taxes and weather.

The teams being good is a thing, I won't deny that but that sort of feeds into what I'm saying.

It creates a competitive advantage for those teams when they're good. If they're ass awful then yeah it works against them.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
It creates a competitive advantage for those teams when they're good. If they're ass awful then yeah it works against them.
It really doesn't. If you think players sign for less cap hit because of the taxes, I don't know what to tell you. It's simply not true. It doesn't happen.

You know what might happen? People signing somewhere because they have nice weather. So what are we going to do for the cap to make up that difference?

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
We literally went further without him LMAO
Dude was clearly recovering from his surgery. Blame the GM for that.
Or are you happy we got Ros/Wennberg instead?
What options are really available this season? We need to fix the D first.
People are putting Skinner out as options. Id rather take Kane cheap and upgrade defense.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
If Kane comes begging to play in New York again, fine. Not someone we should actually pursue. The last time we caved because of Dolan probably saw the dollar figures in selling 88 jerseys lol.

Nobody throws more shit on the wall than Frank. I pay him no mind
He has good sources and is a top insider no doubt. But his opinions are getting more and more cringe worthy and off base. Stick to breaking news, leave analysing the game to those who know how to do it Frank.

Reactions: FireGerardGallant
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad