HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habitant#1

Feb 15, 2006
Brisbane
I'm starting to think that both Lindstrom and Demidov will be gone by the 5th pick.

It will be the second draft in a row the Habs will miss out on the better tier of forwards because they refused to tank properly.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
You can't compare players entering UFA status to 23 year old Caufield. Reinhart and Guentzel will never come here. Marchessault and Stamkos would cost a fortune and we'd get them during their declining season. Caufield's on our roster now and we're going to get his prime years at a reasonable salary.
And that is why you also get Catton + more assets for instance something like Caufield + 26th overall for 10th overall + Mercer with NJD. Then you get a Marchessault or Stamkos, and they will not cost fortune, more expensive than Caufield, surely but nothing that will handicap the habs in the short term or prevent them re-signing their other young players, the only key would not be to offer them more than 4 years deal. Catton will most likely play in the NHL 2 or 3 years from now and he will enter as a RFA on a 3 years deal. When a Stamkos or Marchessault contract are over you would have a plenty to sign Catton and other young players with their contract expiring.

Just recently the Dallas Stars build a team on a similar model with older experienced player along with other very young upcoming players on cheaper contracts, it's a model that work quite well, the only key is drafting well and developing well your young players.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I'm starting to think that both Lindstrom and Demidov will be gone by the 5th pick.

It will be the second draft in a row the Habs will miss out on the better tier of forwards because they refused to tank properly.
At least 2 teams are hinting taking d-men so you are safe... Until Habs decide to skip both these players. :laugh:

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
That comparison makes zero sense. LIndstrom had 27 goals in 32 games as a 17 year old before his injury. Anderson had 12 goals in 64 games in his draft year and scored 27 goals in his D+2 season in 59 games.

Everyone was talking about Lindstrom as a likely #2-3 pick before his injury. He was on fire! He has soft hands around the net. My only concern with him is his back.

You can't compare players entering UFA status to 23 year old Caufield. Reinhart and Guentzel will never come here. Marchessault and Stamkos would cost a fortune and we'd get them during their declining season. Caufield's on our roster now and we're going to get his prime years at a reasonable salary.
A player's "style" has nothing to do with stats.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Apparently Markstrom deal didn’t go down at deadline because Cgy refused to eat $$

Which is weird. They have no significant signings and have a ton of cap space. Markstrom only has 2 years left anyway. That's not a long time to retain.

I guess it depends on how much the other team is asking for. If it's $1m, then that's fair. If it's 50%, I wouldn't do it either.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Which is weird. They have no significant signings and have a ton of cap space. Markstrom only has 2 years left anyway. That's not a long time to retain.

I guess it depends on how much the other team is asking for. If it's $1m, then that's fair. If it's 50%, I wouldn't do it either.
The Flames owner is known for being cheap and shutting down deals his GM makes because he hate's retaining

Reactions: Runner77

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The Flames owner is known for being cheap and shutting down deals his GM makes because he hate's retaining
Doesn’t surprise me. The Saddledome is an absolute dump and they should have moved a while back.

Reactions: Xirik

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
A few people from what I remember. I think there was some noise from insiders about Anaheim preferring Carlsson as well.
It was not very that controversial, both were in the same bracket in term of upside and talent and even position.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

And how does one do that “properly “?

You start with “I think”

But then change to an affirmation that they will lose out on fwds……..

:huh:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

What else could they have done honestly? They were basically carried by one line, a line we want developing positively. As bad as the Habs were, there is no universe where they should be worse than the Sharks, Blackhawks and Ducks.

rabbit4949

Apr 1, 2013
Agreed. I think ideally you shelter the shit out of him on a third pairing so he can adapt to the pace, but the physical aspect is not going to be much of an issue there.

He’s in that rare mould of D man that can play in the NHL at 18.

He’s a couple tiers ahead of Guhle at the same age.
fun fact : only 7 defencemen in this century have played more than 9 games as 18 year olds.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

MtlSars

Dec 9, 2016
It starting to sound like if Anaheim doesn't pick Lindstrom then Columbus will. Habs may have a greater chance to get Demidov than Linstrom at this point but even then the chances of Demidov falling to #5 aren't that great.

Fans may have to start anticipating plan B.
Tij iginla is a very marketable consolation prize.

I also appreciate what he has accomplished considering he has an August birthday, he was substantially younger than the other guys. 6 to 8 months doesn't seem like much but I'm of the opinion it matters quite a bit when you're 16-17 etc

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad