HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I would definitely pick Connelly before Badinka. It's not like MTL is opposed to controversy. Might as well get the most skilled player and hope he's truly a changed man.
He might be a skilled player but I remember correctly its not like he did one bad thing and is learning from it, It was multiple things which shows a lack of intelligence and ability to change. He also is 161 lbs which is a bit under weight, He is going the NCAA route which should definitely help him with that though.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Who cares what our needs are right now! 70% of the players currently on the team will be gone in 5 years.

You take BPA. If a player ala Makar is available, would you ignore him simply it's not a need?
If teams are confident theres really a player like Makar, he wont be there at 5

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
I was thinking this too. Timmins also lives in the Ottawa area, he would have seen LOTS of Sennecke.

The only danger is CBJ might trade down to take him and let someone who wants Demidov move up.

If Columbus swaps picks with another team who steals Demidov from under our noses, we can reciprocate by stealing Sennecke from Columbus!

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I'm finding myself unable to decipher the players this draft class.

It sounds like Demidov is a Kucherov type, Lindstrom a Byfield or Nichushkin type, and I don't know who Sennecke is - Rantanen? At any rate these are their ceiling types. What's more important than the type of player is how good they'll actually be at what they do at the NHL level. Many different types of players can be key pieces to winning a championship, not just the highest skill guys, and not just the biggest, most physically dominant guys.

Even though I don't know enough, I'm hoping for Demidov, but more looking forward to finding out who our scouts choose. The hype this year is higher level and more mysterious for me this year than in years past. A large variety of players that for all I know could boom or bust. Only 3 weeks away, yet feels like a long w as it...

Who is your comparable?
I've said this once before but to me Lindstrom stylistically is Josh Andersson if had a complete toolset of skills and a brain instead of only "great skater". What I think he can become is Lindros-lite

for Sennecke I get Claude Giroux vibes

Reactions: Runner77

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
The more i read and think about it, i would bet on Demidov being avalaible at 5 before Lindstrom. History proved that teams will always priorize the big physical center over the skilled russian winger.

Reactions: Troyp and HabzSauce

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
The predators went to the cup final in 2017 with one of the deepest and most skilled defense in a long while. There lack of scoring is the reason they lost though.

The Habs forwards are already on their way to being better then the preds forward core of Arvidsson, Fisher, Johansen, Forsberg, and Neal.

Habs just need Dach to heal, Newhook to grow, and Roy to become a top 6 player. Another high end forward definitely would be nice though.

Is Monty comparable to Rinne? probably not so that another thing the Habs need but there isn't any goalie really ranked in the top 30.

Point being? There are multiple ways to skin a cat, Not that you should.
What's also interesting :
Nashville only 'got' to the Final with one of the Best D corps and great Goalie

They also 'Lost' the Cup to a team with Star and talented top 5 pick Forwards.... and what was called the weakest defense people had ever seen win a cup.

Just sayin.

Reactions: vokiel and Xirik

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
I've said this once before but to me Lindstrom stylistically is Josh Andersson if had a complete toolset of skills and a brain instead of only "great skater". What I think he can become is Lindros-lite

for Sennecke I get Claude Giroux vibes

Sennecke and Claude Giroux? I'd say Catton is much more reminiscent of Giroux that Sennecke is.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
The more i read and think about it, i would bet on Demidov being avalaible at 5 before Lindstrom. History proved that teams will always priorize the big physical center over the skilled russian winger.
Demidov is definitely closer to Celebrini then any of the next 14 players so if he's available at 5th you take it and run. Would be interesting after last year where people and pundits said the Hab's passed on the 2nd best player at 5th with Michkov and then get Demidov who is the 2nd best player this year at 5th OV

would be sort of storybook-ish.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Sennecke and Claude Giroux? I'd say Catton is much more reminiscent of Giroux that Sennecke is.
you're probably right, I found it hard to think of a extremely good puck handler who can score that also fit what I think Sennecke in his prime might be.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Rankings really are all over the map this year. I love it.

FC just released their final list:

I used to buy their Draft Guide (along with Hockey Prospect’s Black Book) for a number of years, but it’s probably been 5 or 6 years now since the last time. I typically stick with McKeen’s and Elite Prospects now as I realized I was spending way too much money on various guides but didn’t have the time to read them all.

Anyone still buy their guide?

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017

I used to buy their Draft Guide (along with Hockey Prospect’s Black Book) for a number of years, but it’s probably been 5 or 6 years now since the last time. I typically stick with McKeen’s and Elite Prospects now as I realized I was spending way too much money on various guides but didn’t have the time to read them all.

Catton at 4!

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Is there some type of 3-way deal w Cgy sending Markstrom to NJD, and Habs facilitating by eating $ + giving Cgy back their 2025 1st + Jets pick?
I'm confused. We're part of a 3-way trade where we eat mucho $ on Markstrom's contract. And for that privilege, we give Calgary back their 2025 1st and the Jets pick. I think even Rejean Houle would balk on this deal.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Everyone watched the Memorial Cup Final right?
There was a defenseman who unneccessarily iced the puck just prior to that game winning goal.
He f***ed up and he knew it before anything bad happened.
Care to guess who that was?

All these kids make mistakes some unforced errors end up being worse than others.

I see us trading down if people are after Dickinson because I really don't think we are.

Reactions: Redux91

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Everyone watched the Memorial Cup Final right?
There was a defenseman who unneccessarily iced the puck just prior to that game winning goal.
He f***ed up and he knew it before anything bad happened.
Care to guess who that was?

All these kids make mistakes some unforced errors end up being worse than others.

I see us trading down if people are after Dickinson because I really don't think we are.
Evan Bouchard also iced the puck against Vancouver at a bad time letting them tie it up.

I think Edmonton is pretty happy they got that guy.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Considering that they do not employ scouts and are essentially a closed message board full of fans watching videos with zero credentials....why would anyone pay a penny for that. You are better off on these boards for free.

Their rankings also reflect typical fan tropes such as over hyping forwards and offensive stats.

Don't waste your money on basement scouts....

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Evan Bouchard also iced the puck against Vancouver at a bad time letting them tie it up.

I think Edmonton is pretty happy they got that guy.
Evan Bouchard is not part of this draft so what is your point? I already said Kids make mistakes.
Do you not take Hughes at his word when he says he would punt the ball if the scenario merits it?

I only brought it up because Sam became the flavor of the week and it's one I don't think we will be tasting.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
That comparison makes zero sense. LIndstrom had 27 goals in 32 games as a 17 year old before his injury. Anderson had 12 goals in 64 games in his draft year and scored 27 goals in his D+2 season in 59 games.

Everyone was talking about Lindstrom as a likely #2-3 pick before his injury. He was on fire! He has soft hands around the net. My only concern with him is his back.

Yes. Because Catton will develop into a better player. In the short term, I also believe that even this summer you could potentially get a better goalscorer like Marchessault, Reinhart, Guentzel or Stamkos as a free agent than Caufield was last year.

You can't compare players entering UFA status to 23 year old Caufield. Reinhart and Guentzel will never come here. Marchessault and Stamkos would cost a fortune and we'd get them during their declining season. Caufield's on our roster now and we're going to get his prime years at a reasonable salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad