HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Except that posters like yourself and several others who post here (I know you also contribute to the Devils forum) are better acquainted with this draft class than a lot of us are on this forum.

How is Nygard not getting extra attention here, at least from those who are draft knowledgeable?

As a separate consideration, I wonder how he stacks up on pundit lists and mocks.
If Lindstrom didn't exist I think Nygard would have more eyes on him and I think lots of the other prospect have a bit more "shininess" to them

Iginla is the son of Jarome who was one of the hardest workers in the NHL, Hard not to root for or want him

Silayev is a Defensive freak of nature

Parekh is the best offensive defenseman since luke Hughes

Dickinson is leading his team to the Memorial Cup

Sennecke is a late riser that gets people hyped up during the boring days before the draft.

Eiserman has the best shot since Mathews.

Meanwhile Nygard goes in a straight line pushing through competition and fighting along the boards and scores. It's a simple yet effective type of play compared to the other forwards I listed but in the end a goals a goal and a point is a point.

in other mocks and rankings he goes 10-15 most of the time.

*edit* Also Devils fans like him a lot so perhaps there is some bias there.

Reactions: Fenris and Runner77

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
StevenToddIves Words

STI 2024 Devils-Centric Mock Draft For People Sick Of Everyone Else’s Cruddy Mock Drafts

Yes, I am solving this problem the same way I do every year, which is by writing up my very own cruddy mock draft. Let’s face it — mock drafts are doomed to fail. Some jerk GM always goes off the board at #4 overall and ruins it for the rest of us. I mean, not that I’m insinuating the Columbus front office is jerk-laden, but then again maybe I am.

All 32 picks were made with the team in question’s draft tendencies and organizational needs in mind. This is not a ranking. No, the Devils are not trading the pick for a 36 year old goaltender. Just trying to get all the answers to the stupidest criticisms out of the way early so I can get on with the mock draft. I think those three should cover it. And yes, I realize that “jerk-laden” is not a word, even if you hyphenate it.

1 San Jose: C Macklin Celebrini, Boston U. NCAA let’s not get creative here. Celebrini is a text-book franchise center in every sense of the word. The dude is literally great at everything in hockey which fills a major need for San Jose, who last year was literally terrible at everything in hockey.

2 Chicago: W Ivan Demidov, SKA-St.Petersburg MHL the idea of the Blackhawks passing on a potential franchise forward with elite playmaking and puck handling skills to one day pair with the best shot in the league in Conor Bedard is plain ludicrous. Also, Chicago has another pick at #18, where in the 2024 class there will be other terrific RDs. There will not be any F with even close to the skill of the sublime Demidov.

3 Anaheim: RD Artyom Levshunov, Michigan St. NCAA contrary to popular belief, Anaheim is not thin at RD, they have two very good prospects in Tristan Luneau and Noah Warren. Still, in a stacked-with-talent prospect pipeline, it’s probably their lowest-end position and Levshunov has 1D upside on both sides of the puck.

4 Columbus: LD Anton Silayev, Nizhny Novgorod KHL the Blue Jackets are actually strong organizationally at LD with Mateychuk and Svozil -- but they have concentrated on building from the blueline out over the past year-plus and Silayev’s mix of 6’7 and high-end skating is exceptionally rare.

5 Montreal: C Cayden Lindstrom, Medicine Hat WHL Lindstrom falling to 5 has to be the Habs’ pipe dream — they need centers more than anything, and they need physical forwards aside from Slavkovsky for the top 6. A trio of Lindstrom, Suzuki and Owen Beck would set them up with a strong foundation up the middle for several seasons to come.

6 Utah: RD Zayne Parekh, Saginaw OHL wherever their geographical location, this organization seems to have multiple high picks every year and yet still the wheels keep spinning. Utah lacks a high-end offensive defenseman at the pro or prospect levels, and Parekh — with all his problems off the puck — is the highest end offensive defenseman available since Luke Hughes in 2021.

7 Ottawa: LW Tij Iginla, Kelowna WHL you can just hear all the hearts breaking in Calgary. But Iginla has been a late riser with his elite combination of shooting, stick-handling and compete level, and he’d be a huge PR win for the Senators, as well.

8 Seattle: LD Zeev Buium, Denver NCAA the Kraken need high-end talent on the blueline and Buium fits the bill — he might offer the most offensive upside aside from Parekh in the 2024 class, and he’s also quite strong on the defensive side of the puck.

9 Calgary: LD Sam Dickinson, London OHL the Flames have huge needs on the blueline in the pipeline. Dickinson’s mix of size, speed and exceptional two-way upside would immediately rocket him to the top of their prospect pool.

10 NEW JERSEY DEVILS: RW Michael Brandsegg-Nygård, Mora IK Allvenskan SWE
Honestly, this came down to two players — Nygard or Finnish center Konsta Helenius, and I struggled a lot with the final choice. But GM Tom Fitzgerald has shown and stated a desire to get more physical and tougher to play against in the top 6, and Nygard also offers a lot more than simply a power forward option which the Devils lack throughout the prospect pool. Nygard is also the best defensive forward in the 2024 class and one of the fastest skill forwards available. The 6’1-200 Norwegian also possesses an elite-level shot and an otherworldly combination of hockey IQ and compete level. Throw in the fact he played a great deal of center towards the end of the season, and he just makes perfect sense to New Jersey on too many levels to count.

11 Buffalo: RD Carter Yakemchuk, Calgary WHL the Sabres’ prospect pool is literally loaded at every position except RD, and Yakemchuk has a ton to offer. An electrifying offensive defenseman who hits like a freight train, there are a lot of parallels to a young Dion Phaneuf.

12 Philadelphia: LW/C Berkly Catton, Spokane WHL the Flyers’ forced trade of Cutter Gauthier left them with any top 6 scoring prospects in the pipeline aside from Matvei Michkov, who plays on the RW, not the left. Catton probably ranks 4th in the 2024 class in terms of overall offensive upside after only Demidov, Celebrini and Eiserman… and it’s tough to see a team with John Tortorella as coach drafting a player with as many defensive/hustle issues as Eiserman.

13 Minnesota: C Konsta Helenius, Jukurit FIN the Wild have drafted exceptionally well in the Bill Guerin era, and I can’t see them passing on a talent like Helenius — a player whose hockey IQ might be 2nd in the entire class after only Demidov. Helenius’ calling card is intelligence, but he also plays with enormous heart and checks every physical tool across the board without being quite elite in any of them.

14 San Jose: LW Cole Eiserman, US-NTDP the wild-card of the draft, Eiserman has a devastating shot, the best of a past half-decade of drafts after only Conor Bedard. However, his 200-foot game and consistency of effort are both well below average, which is certain to turn off several teams. For the Sharks, however — well, Eiserman is close friends with Celebrini which they would hope brings out the best in a player with a dynamic and rare ability to regularly top 50+ goals.

15 Detroit: RW Igor Chernyshov, Moskva KHL like the Devils, the Red Wings have a lot of skill in their scoring forwards but not a lot of power/interior play. Chernyshov is in the conversation with Lindstrom and Nygard for the best power forward in the 2024 class and also features an outstanding two-way game and some of the softest hands in the class.

16 St. Louis: RD Adam Jiricek, HC Plzen CZE the Blues are absolutely bereft in the prospect pool at RD and Jircek’s draft-year injury and subsequent rankings-drop could be a gift to them in the long run. Jiricek is a do-it-all bulldog with big-time upside on both sides of the puck.

17 Washington: C Michael Hage, Chicago USHL the Caps are extremely thin organizationally up the middle, and Hage is perhaps one of the most underrated players available for the 2024 class. Hage features high-end skating and a litany of high-end offensive tools, and was far-and-away the best player in the entire USHL over the last couple months of the season when he finally recovered from injury and personal tragedy enough to put his game together.

18 Chicago: RD EJ Emery, US-NTDP the Blackhawks need RD more than anything buy a long-shot. This pick might raise a few eyebrows, but it’s fair to argue that Emery is the best defensive defender in the entire 2024 class and he’s also a terrific skater and athlete. Emery is incredibly competitive and physical; he offers extremely smart play with and without the puck. This kid is just a winner, and as such I expect him to be drafted far higher than his consensus ranking might indicate.

19 Vegas: RW Beckett Sennecke, Oshawa OHL after years of trading picks and picking low, Vegas needs some high-end offensive upside in the system. If he falls this far, Sennecke would fit the bill — his hands are electrifying and his playmaking is high-end, while his size and skating are both very good.

20 NY Islanders: C Sacha Boisvert, Muskegon USHL very much a Lamoriello-type player, Boisvert is an excellent defensive center who can also score and competes and think the game at high levels. After years of dealing away picks, the Islanders need pretty much everything, but Boisvert can certainly make the case for best player available this deep in the draft.

21 Los Angeles: RW Emil Hemming, TPS U20 FIN JR. the Kings looked downright slow and old in a first-round exit from the 2024 playoffs, and Hemming’s combination of speed, size and a canon-like shot would juice some athleticism into the future top 6.

22 Nashville: LD Stian Solberg, Valerenga NOR no organization drafts and develops defenders better than the Predators, who hit it again big-time with Solberg. The young Norwegian mixes outstanding speed and play with the puck with a 6’2-205 frame and perhaps the most devastating physicality of any defender in the draft class. Solberg is a steal here, offering huge upside and near-NHL readiness.

23 Toronto: C Cole Beaudoin, Barrie OHL tough to figure what a desperate Leafs organization will do at the draft in 2024, and trading the pick is certainly a possibility. I have them taking a potentially elite defensive and physical middle-6 center who oozes character and compete, the very things they have seemingly lacked in the Dubas and post-Dubas eras. Beaudoin offers everything but speed and flash, but his in-tight game and forechecking/cycling abilities might be tops of the 2024 center class.

24 Colorado: LW Andrew Basha, Medicine Hat WHL the Avs have been building with team speed for years, and Basha can downright fly. He’s also a high-end playmaker and puck-handler with big-time offensive upside.

25 Ottawa: RD Charlie Elick, Brandon WHL like many teams, the Senators have needs at RD and Elick is everything their front-office loves — huge (6’3-200), physical, Canadian, skates well, smart with the puck and exceptional without it.

26 Montreal: RD Dominik Badinka, Malmo J20 SWE JR. The Habs have built a stunningly talented prospect pool but, like many teams, have needs at RD. Fortunately for these teams, the 2024 class is overflowing with potential top-4 RD. This young Czech is a terrific skater with a smart and polished defensive game, size/physicality and some sneaky offensive upside.

27 Carolina: LW Trevor Connelly, Tri-City USHL as one scout has said, “Connelly has first round talent but last round character”, and that drops a kid who should be a top 10 pick on skill and speed alone far lower in the draft than his natural abilities would normally indicate. Hurricanes coach Rod Brind’Amour has shown a repeated belief that he and he alone can take low character players and make them into clutch team guys, and though it hasn’t really worked yet there is no visible indication of him stopping any time soon.

28 Calgary: RW Ryder Ritchie, Prince Albert WHL the Flames reach into their backyard to take a high-motor speedy winger who can excel on a checking or scoring line. Ryder has more skill than some have credited him with, and he's a player who gets every last ounce out of his natural ability, making him pretty much a can't-miss NHLer.

29 Anaheim: LW/RW Nikita Artamonov, Nizhny Novgorod KHL the Ducks might already have the top prospect pool in the NHL and they get another really good one in the high-effort, high-IQ two-way winger with near elite playmaking ability.

30 NY Rangers: LW/RW Liam Greentree, Windsor OHL though some have him slotted for the top half of the 1st round, it’s possible Greentree’s skating woes drop him a bit towards the end of the round. Rangers GM Chris Drury likes big forwards with skill, and this 6’2-200 forward lit up the OHL for 90 points.

31 Dallas: C Jett Luchanko, C Guelph OHL the Stars draft exceptionally well, and there’s no reason to believe this will not continue with the speedy, smart, skilled and high-motor Luchanko. He’s a versatile player who can slot perfectly into any line and excel on both the PP and PK.

32 Philadephia: LD Alfons Freij, Vaxjo U20 SWE JR. the Flyers need some bolstering in the prospect ranks at both sides of the blueline. Here I have them swinging for the fences with the lightning-fast and sublimely skilled Freij — a project perhaps, but one offering some big-time upside.

Steven's Mock Draft
If Montreal passed on Greentree for Badinka I'd be in tears

Reactions: rochab and Xirik

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
If Montreal passed on Greentree for Badinka I'd be in tears
He could be a good pick at 26, His current skating is bellow average in the OHL so it would be terrible in the NHL unless he fixes that huge flaw. Where he is now he looks like he could be this season Toffoli, Slow but knows his spots, can't playmake because you can't really do that when your last in the zone and not that great defensively.

perhaps if he fixes his skating he can be a de-aged Toffoli.

Badinka is trending to being an easily projectable 3rd pairing/2nd pairing shutdown defenseman which personally I favor more.

a bit offtopic but its cool how Hab's fans favor players who have potential to reach 100pts cause they haven't had one since Naslund while Devils fans really love defensively sound forwards and defenseman because rightly or wrongly they believe that it will bring them back to the good ol days of the 1995-2012.

Reactions: Fenris and Runner77

A Loyal Demidog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
StevenToddIves Words

STI 2024 Devils-Centric Mock Draft For People Sick Of Everyone Else’s Cruddy Mock Drafts

Yes, I am solving this problem the same way I do every year, which is by writing up my very own cruddy mock draft. Let’s face it — mock drafts are doomed to fail. Some jerk GM always goes off the board at #4 overall and ruins it for the rest of us. I mean, not that I’m insinuating the Columbus front office is jerk-laden, but then again maybe I am.

All 32 picks were made with the team in question’s draft tendencies and organizational needs in mind. This is not a ranking. No, the Devils are not trading the pick for a 36 year old goaltender. Just trying to get all the answers to the stupidest criticisms out of the way early so I can get on with the mock draft. I think those three should cover it. And yes, I realize that “jerk-laden” is not a word, even if you hyphenate it.

1 San Jose: C Macklin Celebrini, Boston U. NCAA let’s not get creative here. Celebrini is a text-book franchise center in every sense of the word. The dude is literally great at everything in hockey which fills a major need for San Jose, who last year was literally terrible at everything in hockey.

2 Chicago: W Ivan Demidov, SKA-St.Petersburg MHL the idea of the Blackhawks passing on a potential franchise forward with elite playmaking and puck handling skills to one day pair with the best shot in the league in Conor Bedard is plain ludicrous. Also, Chicago has another pick at #18, where in the 2024 class there will be other terrific RDs. There will not be any F with even close to the skill of the sublime Demidov.

3 Anaheim: RD Artyom Levshunov, Michigan St. NCAA contrary to popular belief, Anaheim is not thin at RD, they have two very good prospects in Tristan Luneau and Noah Warren. Still, in a stacked-with-talent prospect pipeline, it’s probably their lowest-end position and Levshunov has 1D upside on both sides of the puck.

4 Columbus: LD Anton Silayev, Nizhny Novgorod KHL the Blue Jackets are actually strong organizationally at LD with Mateychuk and Svozil -- but they have concentrated on building from the blueline out over the past year-plus and Silayev’s mix of 6’7 and high-end skating is exceptionally rare.

5 Montreal: C Cayden Lindstrom, Medicine Hat WHL Lindstrom falling to 5 has to be the Habs’ pipe dream — they need centers more than anything, and they need physical forwards aside from Slavkovsky for the top 6. A trio of Lindstrom, Suzuki and Owen Beck would set them up with a strong foundation up the middle for several seasons to come.

6 Utah: RD Zayne Parekh, Saginaw OHL wherever their geographical location, this organization seems to have multiple high picks every year and yet still the wheels keep spinning. Utah lacks a high-end offensive defenseman at the pro or prospect levels, and Parekh — with all his problems off the puck — is the highest end offensive defenseman available since Luke Hughes in 2021.

7 Ottawa: LW Tij Iginla, Kelowna WHL you can just hear all the hearts breaking in Calgary. But Iginla has been a late riser with his elite combination of shooting, stick-handling and compete level, and he’d be a huge PR win for the Senators, as well.

8 Seattle: LD Zeev Buium, Denver NCAA the Kraken need high-end talent on the blueline and Buium fits the bill — he might offer the most offensive upside aside from Parekh in the 2024 class, and he’s also quite strong on the defensive side of the puck.

9 Calgary: LD Sam Dickinson, London OHL the Flames have huge needs on the blueline in the pipeline. Dickinson’s mix of size, speed and exceptional two-way upside would immediately rocket him to the top of their prospect pool.

10 NEW JERSEY DEVILS: RW Michael Brandsegg-Nygård, Mora IK Allvenskan SWE
Honestly, this came down to two players — Nygard or Finnish center Konsta Helenius, and I struggled a lot with the final choice. But GM Tom Fitzgerald has shown and stated a desire to get more physical and tougher to play against in the top 6, and Nygard also offers a lot more than simply a power forward option which the Devils lack throughout the prospect pool. Nygard is also the best defensive forward in the 2024 class and one of the fastest skill forwards available. The 6’1-200 Norwegian also possesses an elite-level shot and an otherworldly combination of hockey IQ and compete level. Throw in the fact he played a great deal of center towards the end of the season, and he just makes perfect sense to New Jersey on too many levels to count.

11 Buffalo: RD Carter Yakemchuk, Calgary WHL the Sabres’ prospect pool is literally loaded at every position except RD, and Yakemchuk has a ton to offer. An electrifying offensive defenseman who hits like a freight train, there are a lot of parallels to a young Dion Phaneuf.

12 Philadelphia: LW/C Berkly Catton, Spokane WHL the Flyers’ forced trade of Cutter Gauthier left them with any top 6 scoring prospects in the pipeline aside from Matvei Michkov, who plays on the RW, not the left. Catton probably ranks 4th in the 2024 class in terms of overall offensive upside after only Demidov, Celebrini and Eiserman… and it’s tough to see a team with John Tortorella as coach drafting a player with as many defensive/hustle issues as Eiserman.

13 Minnesota: C Konsta Helenius, Jukurit FIN the Wild have drafted exceptionally well in the Bill Guerin era, and I can’t see them passing on a talent like Helenius — a player whose hockey IQ might be 2nd in the entire class after only Demidov. Helenius’ calling card is intelligence, but he also plays with enormous heart and checks every physical tool across the board without being quite elite in any of them.

14 San Jose: LW Cole Eiserman, US-NTDP the wild-card of the draft, Eiserman has a devastating shot, the best of a past half-decade of drafts after only Conor Bedard. However, his 200-foot game and consistency of effort are both well below average, which is certain to turn off several teams. For the Sharks, however — well, Eiserman is close friends with Celebrini which they would hope brings out the best in a player with a dynamic and rare ability to regularly top 50+ goals.

15 Detroit: RW Igor Chernyshov, Moskva KHL like the Devils, the Red Wings have a lot of skill in their scoring forwards but not a lot of power/interior play. Chernyshov is in the conversation with Lindstrom and Nygard for the best power forward in the 2024 class and also features an outstanding two-way game and some of the softest hands in the class.

16 St. Louis: RD Adam Jiricek, HC Plzen CZE the Blues are absolutely bereft in the prospect pool at RD and Jircek’s draft-year injury and subsequent rankings-drop could be a gift to them in the long run. Jiricek is a do-it-all bulldog with big-time upside on both sides of the puck.

17 Washington: C Michael Hage, Chicago USHL the Caps are extremely thin organizationally up the middle, and Hage is perhaps one of the most underrated players available for the 2024 class. Hage features high-end skating and a litany of high-end offensive tools, and was far-and-away the best player in the entire USHL over the last couple months of the season when he finally recovered from injury and personal tragedy enough to put his game together.

18 Chicago: RD EJ Emery, US-NTDP the Blackhawks need RD more than anything buy a long-shot. This pick might raise a few eyebrows, but it’s fair to argue that Emery is the best defensive defender in the entire 2024 class and he’s also a terrific skater and athlete. Emery is incredibly competitive and physical; he offers extremely smart play with and without the puck. This kid is just a winner, and as such I expect him to be drafted far higher than his consensus ranking might indicate.

19 Vegas: RW Beckett Sennecke, Oshawa OHL after years of trading picks and picking low, Vegas needs some high-end offensive upside in the system. If he falls this far, Sennecke would fit the bill — his hands are electrifying and his playmaking is high-end, while his size and skating are both very good.

20 NY Islanders: C Sacha Boisvert, Muskegon USHL very much a Lamoriello-type player, Boisvert is an excellent defensive center who can also score and competes and think the game at high levels. After years of dealing away picks, the Islanders need pretty much everything, but Boisvert can certainly make the case for best player available this deep in the draft.

21 Los Angeles: RW Emil Hemming, TPS U20 FIN JR. the Kings looked downright slow and old in a first-round exit from the 2024 playoffs, and Hemming’s combination of speed, size and a canon-like shot would juice some athleticism into the future top 6.

22 Nashville: LD Stian Solberg, Valerenga NOR no organization drafts and develops defenders better than the Predators, who hit it again big-time with Solberg. The young Norwegian mixes outstanding speed and play with the puck with a 6’2-205 frame and perhaps the most devastating physicality of any defender in the draft class. Solberg is a steal here, offering huge upside and near-NHL readiness.

23 Toronto: C Cole Beaudoin, Barrie OHL tough to figure what a desperate Leafs organization will do at the draft in 2024, and trading the pick is certainly a possibility. I have them taking a potentially elite defensive and physical middle-6 center who oozes character and compete, the very things they have seemingly lacked in the Dubas and post-Dubas eras. Beaudoin offers everything but speed and flash, but his in-tight game and forechecking/cycling abilities might be tops of the 2024 center class.

24 Colorado: LW Andrew Basha, Medicine Hat WHL the Avs have been building with team speed for years, and Basha can downright fly. He’s also a high-end playmaker and puck-handler with big-time offensive upside.

25 Ottawa: RD Charlie Elick, Brandon WHL like many teams, the Senators have needs at RD and Elick is everything their front-office loves — huge (6’3-200), physical, Canadian, skates well, smart with the puck and exceptional without it.

26 Montreal: RD Dominik Badinka, Malmo J20 SWE JR. The Habs have built a stunningly talented prospect pool but, like many teams, have needs at RD. Fortunately for these teams, the 2024 class is overflowing with potential top-4 RD. This young Czech is a terrific skater with a smart and polished defensive game, size/physicality and some sneaky offensive upside.

27 Carolina: LW Trevor Connelly, Tri-City USHL as one scout has said, “Connelly has first round talent but last round character”, and that drops a kid who should be a top 10 pick on skill and speed alone far lower in the draft than his natural abilities would normally indicate. Hurricanes coach Rod Brind’Amour has shown a repeated belief that he and he alone can take low character players and make them into clutch team guys, and though it hasn’t really worked yet there is no visible indication of him stopping any time soon.

28 Calgary: RW Ryder Ritchie, Prince Albert WHL the Flames reach into their backyard to take a high-motor speedy winger who can excel on a checking or scoring line. Ryder has more skill than some have credited him with, and he's a player who gets every last ounce out of his natural ability, making him pretty much a can't-miss NHLer.

29 Anaheim: LW/RW Nikita Artamonov, Nizhny Novgorod KHL the Ducks might already have the top prospect pool in the NHL and they get another really good one in the high-effort, high-IQ two-way winger with near elite playmaking ability.

30 NY Rangers: LW/RW Liam Greentree, Windsor OHL though some have him slotted for the top half of the 1st round, it’s possible Greentree’s skating woes drop him a bit towards the end of the round. Rangers GM Chris Drury likes big forwards with skill, and this 6’2-200 forward lit up the OHL for 90 points.

31 Dallas: C Jett Luchanko, C Guelph OHL the Stars draft exceptionally well, and there’s no reason to believe this will not continue with the speedy, smart, skilled and high-motor Luchanko. He’s a versatile player who can slot perfectly into any line and excel on both the PP and PK.

32 Philadephia: LD Alfons Freij, Vaxjo U20 SWE JR. the Flyers need some bolstering in the prospect ranks at both sides of the blueline. Here I have them swinging for the fences with the lightning-fast and sublimely skilled Freij — a project perhaps, but one offering some big-time upside.

Steven's Mock Draft
I would definitely pick Connelly before Badinka. It's not like MTL is opposed to controversy. Might as well get the most skilled player and hope he's truly a changed man.

Reactions: stanley25 and Xirik

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
thats a good question..if Dickinson is a surefire 1D like lets say heiskanen, I think I would go with the 2nd line up...but if management think that Hutson could be on par with Hughes and be a 1D then id rather have the 1st line up. not enough space to have two 30mins / game pairings, you're usually good with 1.

and btw, there is no way in hell Xhekaj-Barron would do good haha, both are very much prone to brainfarts
Guhle is still very yong and has not reached his full potential. He migth be our Heiskanen.

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
And LD to a slightly lesser extent.

I like Ghule but i think that D corps would be more solid if he were the #3.

Dickinson - Reinbacher
Ghule - Mailloux
Hutson - X

They could use MM to move from 26 to the top 15 - or any combination of surplus assets - to solve the 2nd line dilemma.
See I prefer Ghule, Matheson and Xhekaj as our top 3 LD... So I would even trade Hutson for more help in front. Stronger team to play against!

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Have we heard anything out of Columbus?
They're the team with the highest chance to take a forward IMO. We got bits and pieces out of CHI and ANA so far.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
See I prefer Ghule, Matheson and Xhekaj as our top 3 LD... So I would even trade Hutson for more help in front. Stronger team to play against!
Trading Hutson because we have Matheson would be catastrophic, especially as a rebuilding team. Matheson's at the age where most puck moving defensemen start to decline, and we're still a few years away from being contenders.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
They're the team with the highest chance to take a forward IMO. We got bits and pieces out of CHI and ANA so far.

No, the fans want a forward but they also need a strong defensive prospect to pair with Jiricek.

I'd expect Anaheim to go Silayev or Dickinson if Chicago goes Lev, meaning regardless what CBJ do, we get Lindstrom or Demidov

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Preliminary rankings dont come out til Hlinka tournament.

Rough top 25 rankings:

1. Macklin Celebrini (C) - Boston University
1. Cole Eiserman (LW) - US NTDP
3. Ivan Demidov (C) - MHL (Russia)
4. Artyom Levshunov (RD) - Green Bay (USHL)
5. Aaron Kiviharju (LD) - HIFK (Liiga)
6. Igor Chernyshov (LW) - MHL (Russia)
7. Berkley Catton (C) - Spokane (WHL)
8. Zeev Buium (LD) - US NTDP
9. Linus Ericksson (C) - Djurgardens J20
10. Konsta Helenius (RW) - Jukurit (Liiga)
11. Cole Hutson (LD) - US NTDP
12. Zayne Parekh (RD) - Saginaw (OHL)
13. Cayden Lindstrom (C) - Medicine Hat (WHL)
14. Beckett Sennecke (RW) - Oshawa (OHL)
15. Tomas Lavoie (RD) - Cape Breton (QMJHL)
16. Trevor Connelly (C) - Tri-City (USHL)
17. Anton Olsson (LD) - Mora J20
18. Carter Yakemchuk (RD) - Portland (WHL)
19. Liam Greentree (RW) - Windsor (OHL)
20. Maxim Massé (RW) - Chicoutimi (QMJHL)
21. Sam Dickinson (LD) - London (OHL)
22. Ryder Ritchie (RW) - Prince Albert (WHL)
23. Henry Mews (RD) - Ottawa (OHL)
24. Jesse Heslop (LW) - Everett (WHL)
25. Tij Iginla (C) - Kelowna (WHL)

Interesting to look back and see Sennecke ranked so high pre-season. He is considered a huge riser, yet was only ranked one spot behind Lindstrom pre season.

And, some reports are saying Sennecke's continued growth spurt has him surpassing Lindstrom in the height department.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If the Habs are going to draft to fill a need in the prospect pool, maybe draft some forwards with size.

I hope the premise isn't true in your statement. Though if it is I have more confidence for this management team to execute on the conclusion that follows from the premise.

We don't need more McCarrons, Conner Crisps, Poehlings, Scherbaks and Kotkaniemis.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozmodiar and ReHabs

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Here's a thought.

We all know Grant's connection is Timmins.
Bob had one team put Sennecke top 5.
Columbus took Sennecke to dinner.

Maybe if CBJ goes forward, they like Sennecke at 4?

Another thought: Demidov and Lindstrom have had more hype during the season. But is Sennecke in their league, or an even better prospect?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Interesting to look back and see Sennecke ranked so high pre-season. He is considered a huge riser, yet was only ranked one spot behind Lindstrom pre season.

And, some reports are saying Sennecke's continued growth spurt has him surpassing Lindstrom in the height department.

Lindstrom got off to a strong start, while Sennecke didn't. Sennecke got better as the season went on, while Lindstrom got hurt mid-season.

Sennecke grew so much between seasons that there must have been some adjustments to comfortably play hockey. His final half & playoffs were more in line with my expectations of him.

He had a terrific D -1 year, and is a dynamic, fun player to watch play hockey.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Demidov is a tier above but I'd say I would listen to an argument on Sennecke vs Lindstrom

I'm finding myself unable to decipher the players this draft class.

It sounds like Demidov is a Kucherov type, Lindstrom a Byfield or Nichushkin type, and I don't know who Sennecke is - Rantanen? At any rate these are their ceiling types. What's more important than the type of player is how good they'll actually be at what they do at the NHL level. Many different types of players can be key pieces to winning a championship, not just the highest skill guys, and not just the biggest, most physically dominant guys.

Even though I don't know enough, I'm hoping for Demidov, but more looking forward to finding out who our scouts choose. The hype this year is higher level and more mysterious for me this year than in years past. A large variety of players that for all I know could boom or bust. Only 3 weeks away, yet feels like a long w as it...

Lindstrom got off to a strong start, while Sennecke didn't. Sennecke got better as the season went on, while Lindstrom got hurt mid-season.

Sennecke grew so much between seasons that there must have been some adjustments to comfortably play hockey. His final half & playoffs were more in line with my expectations of him.

He had a terrific D -1 year, and is a dynamic, fun player to watch play hockey.

Who is your comparable?

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Yeah, they like Dickinson and they like forwards. You know Waddel isn't the most intelligible character around. :sarcasm:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

It sounds like Demidov is a Kucherov type, Lindstrom a Byfield or Nichushkin type, and I don't know who Sennecke is - Rantanen? At any rate these are their ceiling types. What's more important than the type of player is how good they'll actually be at what they do at the NHL level. Many different types of players can be key pieces to winning a championship, not just the highest skill guys, and not just the biggest, most physically dominant guys.

Even though I don't know enough, I'm hoping for Demidov, but more looking forward to finding out who our scouts choose. The hype this year is higher level and more mysterious for me this year than in years past. A large variety of players that for all I know could boom or bust. Only 3 weeks away, yet feels like a long w as it...

Who is your comparable?

Last year, I was comparing him to Corey Perry, but a smaller version. His skating has really picked up though, and he has a nice long stride now. He still has his edges.

So now I see him more as a Dach type except with an inside game and a real willingness to shoot the puck. The kid is always driving the net and attacking the middle of the nice. He's a competitor.

He has great hands for puck control. He steals pucks, intercept passes, and can dangle like crazy.

My comparison to Perry was due to how strong he is on the boards, his ability to stickhandle coming off the boards in tight situations or to make quick passing plays for high danger opportunities.

He needs to gain weight/strength, but once he does, the kid is going to cycle a team to death before cutting inside to attack the net, or make a play. He & Dach together would dominate the ice.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Last year, I was comparing him to Corey Perry, but a smaller version. His skating has really picked up though, and he has a nice long stride now. He still has his edges.

So now I see him more as a Dach type except with an inside game and a real willingness to shoot the puck. The kid is always driving the net and attacking the middle of the nice. He's a competitor.

He has great hands for puck control. He steals pucks, intercept passes, and can dangle like crazy.

My comparison to Perry was due to how strong he is on the boards, his ability to stickhandle coming off the boards in tight situations or to make quick passing plays for high danger opportunities.

He needs to gain weight/strength, but once he does, the kid is going to cycle a team to death before cutting inside to attack the net, or make a play. He & Dach together would dominate the ice.

So at this point you have him ahead of Lindstrom? What about Demidov?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

I hoping for Demidov but have feeling it's going to be Lindstrom. Any of those two or Ignila, Sennecke we getting good player

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I hoping for Demidov but have feeling it's going to be Lindstrom. Any of those two or Ignila, Sennecke we getting good player

I still feel like anyone of them has boom or bust potential.

But I like the Slaf and Reinbacher picks so far. So hopefully HuGo can find a core piece, or even a game breaker.

Last edited:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
So at this point you have him ahead of Lindstrom? What about Demidov?

I have him ahead of Lindstrom but behind Demidov. He's basically my choice if we don't get Demidov, although I was having a bit of a panic attack if we passed on Dickinson for any forward, but it sounds like Anaheim is going Dickinson.

I now think, it's going:

1. SJS: Celebrini
2. Chi: Levshunov
3. Ana: Dickinson
4. Columbus: Demidov
5. Montreal:
6. Utah: Buium
7. Ottawa: Yakemchuk
8. Seattle: not sure
9. Calgary: Iginla (if there): Catton or Helenius if not.
10. NJD: looking to trade
11. Buffalo: looking to trade

God, would I love to get NJD's 10th OA. I can't see Buffalo trading #11 to a divisional rival.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad