HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
I understand the hype of Dickerson with everyone getting to see him in the Memorial Cup but I'm not sure his a #1 dman. I feel he's closer to Gulhe and is another LD. I don't see a true #1 dman in any of this guys at the top. I feel the dmen and forwards are top 4 and top 6 players except Demidov having the potential to be a first line player. Obviously besides the top pick.

Reactions: Anardil

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I do think Dickinson is playing in the NHL next season. I don’t think you can send him back to the OHL. He has nothing else to show and he’s already 6’3 210lbs.

Agreed. I think ideally you shelter the shit out of him on a third pairing so he can adapt to the pace, but the physical aspect is not going to be much of an issue there.

He’s in that rare mould of D man that can play in the NHL at 18.

I understand the hype of Dickerson with everyone getting to see him in the Memorial Cup but I'm not sure his a #1 dman. I feel he's closer to Gulhe and is another LD. I don't see a true #1 dman in any of this guys at the top. I feel the dmen and forwards are top 4 and top 6 players except Demidov having the potential to be a first line player. Obviously besides the top pick.

He’s a couple tiers ahead of Guhle at the same age.

Reactions: KFlint

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Dickinson is significantly better than Guhle at the same age. He has the highest floor in this draft after Celebrini and should become a #1 dman with size and smarts.

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
Which team is better long term:

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Ignila/Lindstrom - Dach - Newhook
Roy - Beck - Kapanen
Tuch - RHP - Heineman

Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux
Xhekaj - Barron

OR

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Zegras/Necas - Dach - Newhook
Roy - Beck - Kapanen
Tuch - RHP - Heineman

Dickinson - Mailloux
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Barron

Last edited:

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Which team is better long term:

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Ignila/Lindstrom - Dach - Newhook
Roy - Beck - Armia
RHP - Evans - Heineman

Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux
Xhekaj - Barron

OR

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Zegras/Necas - Dach - Newhook
Roy - Beck - Armia
RHP - Evans - Heineman

Dickinson - Mailloux
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Barron
The team at the bottom with Zegras and Dickinson.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Lev to CHI
Silayev to ANA
Dickinson to CBJ

Right?

Dickinson/Silayev/Yakemchuk to ANA
Dickinson/Silayev/Lindstrom to CBJ

Would be the considerations you'd need to get Demidov to 5.

I also have the feeling that if Levshunov Lindstrom and Demidov are gone they will pick Dickinson.

And probably will try to get into the mid teens somehow and grab a good forward among the ones left.

I'd be happy with this outcome if it happens.

They won't, the one thing they shut down is they will not be drafting a LD and would trade down in that scenario if it came to it.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Dickinson is significantly better than Guhle at the same age. He has the highest floor in this draft after Celebrini and should become a #1 dman with size and smarts.
If he “should” become a #1, why isn’t he the consensus 2nd rated prospect? In fact, if his upside was 1D with the high likelihood of getting there, the conversation would be him vs Celebrini, like it was for Tavares vs Hedman.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If he “should” become a #1, why isn’t he the consensus 2nd rated prospect? In fact, if his upside was 1D with the high likelihood of getting there, the conversation would be him vs Celebrini, like it was for Tavares vs Hedman.
That's such a weird conclusion. Not all dmen that project to be #1 in the NHL are Hedman level.

Chances are he'll end up in the top 3 on Bob's final list just like he did on McKeen's. We'll see.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I do think Dickinson is playing in the NHL next season. I don’t think you can send him back to the OHL. He has nothing else to show and he’s already 6’3 210lbs.
It’s possible, I don’t think he cracks the NHL but as you mentioned, he’s pretty close to ready and has NHL size. Wouldn’t hurt to see him compete for a gold at U20 and lead London to another Memorial up final.

If Habs draft him, the congestion at D would be too much, they already like 10 guys competing for 7 spots…..we shall see, I fully expect him to be selected by Chicago worst case Anaheim

Reactions: Runner77

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
That's such a weird conclusion. Not all dmen that project to be #1 in the NHL are Hedman level.

Chances are he'll end up in the top 3 on Bob's final list just like he did on McKeen's. We'll see.
It’s not a weird conclusion. You said a 1D with a high chance of getting there. So why isn’t he even the top rated D in this draft? Why would anyone pass on that player for a “maybe” at the same position?

The kid is getting vastly overrated because he’s the one everyone watched recently.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It’s possible, I don’t think he cracks the NHL but as you mentioned, he’s pretty close to ready and has NHL size. Wouldn’t hurt to see him compete for a gold at U20 and lead London to another Memorial up final.

If Habs draft him, the congestion at D would be too much, they already like 10 guys competing for 7 spots…..we shall see, I fully expect him to be selected by Chicago worst case Anaheim

Chicago isn't taking a LD like we aren't, they're taking Levshunov or Demidov.. their beat writer said Silayev is on the periphery of that convo.

I can see Anaheim preferring Dickinson to Silayev, that might be our ticket to the pick of Lindstrom/Demidov.

But you're right, there's a congestion already, they aren't adding to that congestion on LD in Montreal unless it was a can't miss stud and if that were the case, he'd be gone before 5 as this draft is not full of can't miss studs like last year was in the top 3.

Reactions: jaffy27

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It’s not a weird conclusion. You said a 1D with a high chance of getting there. So why isn’t he even the top rated D in this draft? Why would anyone pass on that player for a “maybe” at the same position?
I just said that he'll likely be the highest rated D in this draft. Just wait a little.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I just said that he'll likely be the highest rated D in this draft. Just wait at little.
If anything, he’s the one defenceman at the top of the draft that’s already close to peaked. I think scouts see that.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

If Habs drafted him, you gotta believe that Hughes already has irons in the fire on deals he can close. It’s all about getting the BPA in the end, with that early pick.

We should be seeing moves that reflect emphasis on adding forwards, in a number of ways.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Ya, Hedman is not only #1 on his team but NHL
And Celebrini isn’t John Tavares as a prospect. The point was NOT a 1v1 comparison. The point was that it would be a legitimate debate if you had a surefire 1C vs a surefire 1D in the draft. But it isn’t the case here, there is no debate because Dickinson isn’t that.

Reactions: jaffy27

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
If Habs drafted him, you gotta believe that Hughes already has irons in the fire on deals he can close. It’s all about getting the BPA in the end, with that early pick.

We should be seeing moves that reflect emphasis on adding forwards, in a number of ways.

People too quick to close the books on Dickinson or Levshunov should they be there at 5.

Trust the process, because in terms of potential impact I think you’d be hard pressed to make a case that Lindstrom, Iginla or Sennecke belong in the conversation with those two D.

There’s so many other ways Hughes could address a Top 6 FWD. Adding one of those D opens up that opening even more so than it already is.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
After seeing Levshunov’s hairline, pretty sure that’s not the case.

lol
Hairlines are comparable…..Andrei turned out ok I think

My wife’s cousin is Belarusian, he’s 26 and has the same name and hairline as Lev’s….it’s a Russian thing I think lol

1717778321830.jpeg

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
People too quick to close the books on Dickinson or Levshunov should they be there at 5.

Trust the process, because in terms of potential impact I think you’d be hard pressed to make a case that Lindstrom, Iginla or Sennecke belong in the conversation with those two D.

There’s so many other ways Hughes could address a Top 6 FWD. Adding one of those D opens up that opening even more so than it already is.

Hughes closed the book on the LD.

Levshunov would be picked by us if he was there because Hughes left that door open, but its moot because Levshunov isn't getting passed 3.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I know we have a huge volume of prospects and early round picks and we need to prioritize quality picks but holy smokes it would be interesting to know what kind of offers we'll get at #5 from teams who want to jump up to grab one of the D.
Be chance to get top young forward and still get Ignila or Catton type

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
So you think this draft is absolutely garbage then is what you're saying.

No top D and no top line forwards except for 2 dudes.

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Hughes closed the book on the LD.

Levshunov would be picked by us if he was there because Hughes left that door open, but its moot because Levshunov isn't getting passed 3.

Just because he said it doesn’t mean anything. Its the equivalent of a GM saying he’s not going to trade a player then he trades the player a week later.

By saying he doesn’t want an LD it can create a false sense of a security for a team chasing a LD that is picking 1-2 spots behind us.

Never show your cards.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Just because he said it doesn’t mean anything. Its the equivalent of a GM saying he’s not going to trade a player then he trades the player a week later.

By saying he doesn’t want an LD it can create a false sense of a security for a team chasing a LD that is picking 1-2 spots behind us.

Never show your cards.
Remember when Marc Bergevin closed the book on trading Subban?

McGees

Jun 15, 2016

Lindstrom won CHL top prospect despite missing most of of the year!
Many believe he'd easily be #2 overall without injury.
Easy pick if he is there and his medicals look ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad