2024 NHL Draft Thread Part 2 - Picks 2 & 18 in the 1st Round

Who do we take?

• Total voters

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
With the 2024 draft’s top 10 being heavy on defense, and 2025 being top-10 heavy on forwards, do you think that could push Davidson to take his top defenseman this year, thinking that he’ll have a better shot at an elite forward next year? — Neil G.

I don’t think the Blackhawks look at future drafts in that way. So much can change in a year. The Blackhawks probably will be drafting in the top 10 next year, but I would assume not as high. While there might be hype around some of the top players available in next year’s draft, it’s hard for me to believe that the Blackhawks can get a better play at a position next year later in the draft than they can with the No. 2 pick this year. Based on NHLe models, Ivan Demidov’s development is on the track with NHL stars. There won’t be a lot of players projected like that in the next draft.

The Blackhawks may decide to go with a defenseman this year, but it’ll have to do more about getting “the” defenseman they want, rather than projecting what’s available to them next year. I do think what’s available in a given year can determine what a team does in that specific draft. When the Blackhawks took Kevin Korchinski with the No. 7 pick in 2022, it was because they believed the draft wasn’t that heavy with elite defensemen and they could still draft a forward they liked at No. 13.

With the second pick this year, I think it comes down to where the Blackhawks see their greatest need. It’s less about the best player available and more about whether the Blackhawks want to add an elite winger or defenseman. I think you could make a case for Artyom Levshunov or Demidov, depending on which side of the argument you’re on. I do think Demidov coming to Florida next month will be part of the puzzle, too. The Blackhawks are expected to have a chance to watch him train on and off the ice and talk to him. That could influence their decision, too.
From Scott Powers about the Hawks and the 2022 draft.
@DisgruntledHawkFan
Still think KD should be fired for this?

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Why are people here in such a panic to draft one defenceman to pigeon hole them into the top D spot? Plenty of time when you have this many needs and defence is about 90% solved . Demidov should not be passed up to draft a "good defence prospect " when he clearly looks like a star in the making .

Reactions: LavalPhantom

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Why are people here in such a panic to draft one defenceman to pigeon hole them into the top D spot? Plenty of time when you have this many needs and defence is about 90% solved . Demidov should not be passed up to draft a "good defence prospect " when he clearly looks like a star in the making .
I have no idea which pick is best long term.

I like the d pool and it's definitely good, but 90% is a big number. I don't think it's that close to being solved yet.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
I have no idea which pick is best long term.

I like the d pool and it's definitely good, but 90% is a big number. I don't think it's that close to being solved yet.
I'm not saying don't draft any defenceman . All I'm pointing out is you don't reach past a guy who from all account seems like a certain star . Levshunov seems to have the tools , not sold on the head for it (he does seem like a happy go lucky good kid). Between Del Mastro , Korchinski Vlasic , Kaiser , Rinzel, Allan , Phillips and even Crevier If i were Davidson ,I would be pretty comfortable drafting forwards. Saying that I'd love to see Solberg (I think he's going before 34 now) Emery and another of the other bigger Rd being added .

Last edited:

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Did you read it? You bolded a question from a fan/reader and then ignored what Scott actually said.

"I don’t think the Blackhawks look at future drafts in that way. So much can change in a year. "
Yes. I was referring specifically to the portion about 2022.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Feb 2020, Wheeler rated the Hawks prospect pool as #12 overall and had 6 D in the top 10...1)Boqvist 2) Mitchell 4) Beaudin 6) Regula 7) Shea 10) Carlsson The only D to do anything meaningful in Chicago out of that ranking was #13 Vlasic. I would not be to fast to pencil DelMastro, Korchinski, Kaiser, Rinzel, Allan, Phillips, or Crevier into the Hawks starting lineup as prospects turn into suspects very quickly.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Feb 2020, Wheeler rated the Hawks prospect pool as #12 overall and had 6 D in the top 10...1)Boqvist 2) Mitchell 4) Beaudin 6) Regula 7) Shea 10) Carlsson The only D to do anything meaningful in Chicago out of that ranking was #13 Vlasic. I would not be to fast to pencil DelMastro, Korchinski, Kaiser, Rinzel, Allan, Phillips, or Crevier into the Hawks starting lineup as prospects turn into suspects very quickly.
Man is that group of D small. Big and good skating is all the rage now. Crazy how much perceptions can shift in just four years.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
"I don’t think the Blackhawks look at future drafts in that way."

They better f***ing not. If KD took a guy at seven because he thought the next year's draft was thin on defenseman I absolutely believe he should be shit canned.
Exactly, you don't take Brent Seabrook over the next Pavel Datsyuk because next year you are taking Nikita Kucherov over the next Zach Bogosian. You take Datsyuk now, and when the time comes, take Kucherov. Figure out the positioning after you draft the elite players.

In other news;
Scott Wheeler was on with the CHGO sports guys today and mentioned "it really seems like it's leaning towards Demidov for the Hawks". He also said Jett Luchanko is a guy the Hawks generally go for (for 20th oa). High compete, high level skater. That move makes a ton of sense. Ej Emery was mentioned too and I think that's another valid option. It will be interesting because outside Luchanko, I don't see a real center candidate that fits the Hawks criteria. Maybe Surin? More likely to be a Chernyshov, MBN, or a defenseman.

Reactions: Giovi and Mrfenn92

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Exactly, you don't take Brent Seabrook over the next Pavel Datsyuk because next year you are taking Nikita Kucherov over the next Zach Bogosian. You take Datsyuk now, and when the time comes, take Kucherov. Figure out the positioning after you draft the elite players.

In other news;
Scott Wheeler was on with the CHGO sports guys today and mentioned "it really seems like it's leaning towards Demidov for the Hawks". He also said Jett Luchanko is a guy the Hawks generally go for (for 20th oa). High compete, high level skater. That move makes a ton of sense. Ej Emery was mentioned too and I think that's another valid option. It will be interesting because outside Luchanko, I don't see a real center candidate that fits the Hawks criteria. Maybe Surin? More likely to be a Chernyshov, MBN, or a defenseman.
Luchenko screams hawks pick

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

In other news;
Demidov and Luchanko at 2 and 20?

Blackhawks are in their Peter Chiarelli era. Wasting Bedard's early years.

See you in 8 years when the Blackhawks decide to be serious.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Demidov and Luchanko at 2 and 20?

Blackhawks are in their Peter Chiarelli era. Wasting Bedard's early years.

See you in 8 years when the Blackhawks decide to be serious.

What does this even mean? CHI's a bad team. It's going to take time to build them up. They were never going to be good in Bedard's first 3 years. They literally just tore this team down to the studs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad