2024 NHL Draft Thread Part 2 - Picks 2 & 18 in the 1st Round

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do we take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColbyChaos

I am a made up country
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Parekh is only an option for those who missed out on drafting Boqvist and want to experience the disappointment first hand

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Kind of scares me that Chris Peters is saying the reason for the Hawks making this trade might be to take Levshunov at 2 and guarantee themselves to pick one of the big power forwards (MBN or Chernyshov) at 18

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Parekh is only an option for those who missed out on drafting Boqvist and want to experience the disappointment first hand
I know he had a great year, but watching him vs. the Knights in the OHL semi-final, he just couldn't handle the physicalness and looked pretty average to be honest. Maybe he had an injury he was dealing with, or just a few off games, but I didn't like what I saw from him.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Kind of scares me that Chris Peters is saying the reason for the Hawks making this trade might be to take Levshunov at 2 and guarantee themselves to pick one of the big power forwards (MBN or Chernyshov) at 18
Who the hell is Chris Peters? Almost everyone else close to the organization is saying 2 is Demidov. It would make more sense that 18 is being used to trade up and get a defenseman.

Reactions: cassac

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Thinking about it, it’s very easy to see a defenseman start falling this draft. 4 of the top 5 teams (San Jose, Chicago, Anaheim and Montreal) are all looking to draft forwards in the top 5.

So if Davidson managed to pull off getting to say 10 or 11, it would almost be guaranteed that they could get one of those top tier defensemen.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
At a minimum, 18 give us a more realistic chance at getting Jiricek. 18+34 should get you the #10 pick which would give you a really good shot at Demidov and Yakemchuk which would be unreal. I would offer any pick(s) outside of future 1st or our own future 2nds to make 18+34 for 10 more lopsided until the Devils agree to the trade.

Reactions: Malaka

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Who does Bob McKenzie have at #10 on his list? Tij Iginla

Chicago is going to trade up with New Jersey to get the 10th overall pick

#2 Anton Silayev
#10 Tij Iginla

This is what dreams are made of

BHawks77

Mar 22, 2023

#2 Anton Silayev
#10 Tij Iginla

When this doesnt happen your expected meltdown will be hilarious!!

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006

#2 Anton Silayev
#10 Tij Iginla

Despite being a Demidov Dawg, I honestly, would not even be upset with this. If KyKy Davidson can get us to #2 & #10-#12, this draft is amazing. Any combo of F/D would be great. Like others have said, to hell with our another second round pick. Give 18 & 34.

Demi & Yak or Lev & Iginla, sign my ass up.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Just looked on line.com for Bill Plazcek's latest mock draft version reflecting the new draftcsoitscforcthe Hawks..

He still has Lindstrom @ #2 LHC
@18 Michal Hage RHC
@34 Stian Solberg LD
@50 Julius Miettinen LHC
@67 Raoul Boilard LHC
@72 Simon Zether RHC
@ #151 NICHOLAS Kempf G
@#163 MIROSLAV Satan Jr. LHC 6'7 190

.so wre are drafting SATAN?

. This makes no sense= drafting 6 centers and no wingers?
4 LHC ?

Structurally wrong...not going to hapoen!

I do agree with Lindstrom atx#2and Solberg at #34...exactly my 2 top targets at those spits..

But though Hage probably would have been off the board had we kept #20,had that happened I would have loved to draft Yegor Surin (who Plazcek has at #23 going to Leafs...can we
make a deal with Tor too for a bad cobtract take to get #23 if RW Surin stoll on the board?

@#50 I think I gotta grab a RD...Elick shows at #49 so maybe he gets to #50?
If not Colton Robers goes offat #57 ..so if Erick gone we still get a big RD in Roberts if I was picking...sovwe have a goid chance at getting 1 of these 2 RD- men...

@#67 Boilard was good in the Top Prspects Game ...and has the size to play as a winger with some good hockey sense and physical game on the forecheck..but probably a 4th liner checker type ceiling but responsible 299 ft player.

But rather than risk my target C Nathan Villneuve gone before #72,
(Bob Mckenzie ranks him #71) I would take him over Boilard at #67 and hope Boilard
is there at #72 anyway...if not I would take another winger .

@# 151 Kempf is a smaller 6'0 goalie but athletic...a longshot ...but at this point in the draft why not take a goalie?

@ #163 why not gamble on that size ? SAYAN could turn in to a monster once he stops growing and he catches up in co-ordobation to his large frame by adding more muscle ..Govong Riku Tohila a run for the really Big award.

Final 2 picks (151 and 163) are thus Longshot projects anyway.

Maybe we get lucky.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sacha BOXviert

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I sincerely doubt Iginla makes it past Calgary
We'll see.

I think Beckett Sennecke is the big wild card.

If Montreal takes him at 5, like some are speculating, that pushes everyone down a spot.

Suddenly a guy that Calgary has ranked ahead of Iginla, that they didn't expect to be available, is now available.

Here's an example of what the draft could look like with the Sennecke effect:

:sharks1. Macklin Celebrini
:hawks2. Ivan Demidov
:ducks23. Artyom Levshunov
:cbj4. Sam Dickinson
:habs5. Beckett Sennecke
:coyotes6. Anton Silayev
:sens7. Cayden Lindstrom
:seattle8. Zeev Buium
:flames9. Zayne Parekh

Suddenly Chicago swoop in at #10 to select Tij Iginla!

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
We'll see.

I think Beckett Sennecke is the big wild card.

If Montreal takes him at 5, like some are speculating, that pushes everyone down a spot.

Suddenly a guy that Calgary has ranked ahead of Iginla, that they didn't expect to be available, is now available.

Here's an example of what the draft could look like with the Sennecke effect:

:sharks1. Macklin Celebrini
:hawks2. Ivan Demidov
:ducks23. Artyom Levshunov
:cbj4. Sam Dickinson
:habs5. Beckett Sennecke
:coyotes6. Anton Silayev
:sens7. Cayden Lindstrom
:seattle8. Zeev Buium
:flames9. Zayne Parekh

Suddenly Chicago swoop in at #10 to select Tij Iginla!
Tij is not making it past Calgary. Even in your weird biases you should know that much.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Tij is not making it past Calgary. Even in your weird biases you should know that much.
Realistically speaking, Tij probably isn't top 5 on Calgary's board.

They maybe have him 6-8.

So it's entirely possible someone they have higher is available at 9. But I think the only way that happens is based on the Sennecke surprise.

It's not as farfetched as you may think.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Thinking about it, it’s very easy to see a defenseman start falling this draft. 4 of the top 5 teams (San Jose, Chicago, Anaheim and Montreal) are all looking to draft forwards in the top 5.

I would be shocked if Anaheim selects a forward. Most of their fans and media are hoping the Hawks pass on Levshunov because that is likely their pick at #3, especially after giving up Drysdale last year.

Reactions: lilmaxo

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
If Sennicke is still there at #19...NJ has b
no 2nd round pick..so #10 is is their only pick in 1st 2 rounds..Maybe they take#18 + #34 for #10? ..

In that scenario KD gives up 4cdraft picks betting on Sennicke..if he does not hit suoerstar ceiling that is a real gambit that overpaid..hecwoukd have to pan out ...awfully risky ...

Lion13

May 7, 2024
I would be shocked if Anaheim selects a forward. Most of their fans and media are hoping the Hawks pass on Levshunov because that is likely their pick at #3, especially after giving up Drysdale last year.
If that’s the case then awesome, trade #2 to Anaheim for something good , and take Buium ( my preference ) or Demidov @ 3
Get the better player plus whatever you acquire from Anaheim

Geoist

May 1, 2015
Also wouldn’t be shocked to see Davidson trade up with one of our seconds if someone like Dickinson falls.

This is what I'm hoping is the case behind the recent trade up. Hopefully the consensus is overwhelmingly pro-Demidov at #2 so they're looking to snag Dickinson or another falling dman with #18 or higher with another trade.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Interesting YouTube podcast this morning ((The Sick Podcast) featuring Grant McCagg and others from Recrutes scouts) ...theyvask if Levshunov is the most over-rated top prospect in the 2024 NHL Draft?

The consensus of thec3 onthe panel is YRS!

Concerns about his decision-making when defending or in jumping up at wrong times when no reason to...The adage that when drafting a dnan consider the brain (instincts to make good decisions) must cone ahead of other attributes..

They question his physicality for his zize as not matching to what it shoukd be.

They mention that he scored most of his points vs.weaker NCAA teams and his scoring cane less against better teams...

They say Parekh and Buuim have higher ceilings even Yakemchuk...that they do not think Levshunov will run a PP1 ...maybe on a PP2..that he has a floor like a 3-5, not a 1-2 dman..
They do not like that he does not play with an edge for his size.

They talk about a possibility he may be older than his birth certificate states...I do not knowvif that is true or not...but if he is 1-2years olderr then his expected age improvement ceiling may not be that great.

They mention that in most 1st rounds drafts teams make more more mistakes on selecting dmen than forwards...

They say there are 6 dmen in a top tier of dmen.. and that Levshunov shoukd not be in the top 5 of this elite group..
They say you should expect 50% of these 6 to not not meet ceiling expectations and 1 orx2 coukd bust ..

So they say some forwards Lindstrom or Iginla are safer bets than where Levshunov is ranked ...They think he will play in the NHL but due to the flaws, not in a featured or starring role.

So given they think he is over-rated...I hope KD does not make the mistake of taking homat #2.

I still feel Lindstrom answers our 2C rikecwithvavunicorn combo of size ,power ,speed,scoring ability,great in tight spaces,dominates board and puck battles,good 2 way game which should get even better,potebtial for high ceiling as he is just scratching the surface of how dominant he can becone as a prototypical all- round Huge Center...and the perfect guy to run line 2 after Bedard on line 1 ...we need the different style and the balance it would give our top 2 lines...He can definitely be an impact 2C for the Hawks..

You take the 2C over just a possible 3-5 dman.

In watching Levshunov myself...not really that impressed...if we realkyvwabt a RD take higher ceiling for Parekh or Yakemchuk ...But obviously Lindstrom croes outs both safe and an immense potential to dominate physically..and he is also nasty.

I hope KD is not stupid.. and sees it my way .
We can get better than Murphy replacements either in future drafts,ufas , or trades..

Take Lindstrom...do not be stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad