2024 NHL Draft Thread Part 2 - Picks 2 & 18 in the 1st Round

Who do we take?

• Total voters

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Ok...I'll say it.

So you trust the Blackhawks to draft someone worth while next year with the Leafs 1st? (Like 23rd overall)
The Leafs 1st is an asset.

It could be used to trade up from 18 in this year's draft.

It could be used to add a more proven roster piece.

Or maybe the 2025 draft is incredibly deep. I don't know that yet.
Because you don't trust the Blackhawks or because you don't trust this draft class?
When I start hearing things like how the Blackhawks are high on Sascha Boisvert, yeah I don't trust them.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022

When I start hearing things like how the Blackhawks are high on Sascha Boisvert, yeah I don't trust them.

You mean that one tweet by a guy in Quebec?

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019

Relax, I'm just messing with you.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Do you think things like this get made up 100% out of the blue? What incentive would that reporter have had to do that

The "reporter" is actually a blogger and what he said was that the Hawks called and spoke to Boisvert. He then inferred from that call that CHI's interest is "high". I'm pretty sure if anyone is going to break who the Hawks value in the draft, it's not going to be some random blogger in Quebec.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Grant McCagg is a joke.
Agreed.

Though for a legitimate "negative" take on Levshunov, hockeyprospects.com have him down at #10. And outside of Bob's list, that's the one that is most corroborated by actual NHL scouts.

Obviously he won't fall that far, but considering the Blackhawks were the only ones to take him out to dinner (shouldn't put too much stock in this either), it wouldn't surprise me if Anaheim, Columbus, Montreal, and Utah have no interest in taking him.

ndgt10

Jul 3, 2009
Poland
No mystery that it's Lev guys. Pretty much a lock.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240614_214134.jpg
    Screenshot_20240614_214134.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 2

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I think McCagg is a clown but in general I think it just speaks to the overall meh-ness of the class. No one really standing ahead and the NHLe people haven't adjusted their models enough for the jump in scoring in recent years.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
My fav players around 2

Buium - I think he's clearly the second best player in the draft talentwise. IQ among the best I've ever seen in a prospect. He can hang onto the puck for as long as he wants with his hands and edges and cutbacks but only uses that skillset when necessary. Knows exactly how to facilitate offence from the blueline in todays NHL. Brings his best on the brightest stage. Highlight reel assist and shutting out Smith/Leonard/Perrualt in the Frozen Four Final. Size and speed aren't optimal, but as we're seeing with Forsling playing 27+ minutes a night against McDavid, sometimes IQ and skill trumps all.

Demidov - Highest offensive ceiling of all forwards. The questions about the MHL are valid and it makes it harder to evaluate him and I do think there is a world where his average-ish skating and smaller frame and hero puck habits hold him back, but I think he's too talented to not flourish and score 100 points one day. I do wonder if his shot will hold him back offensively long term.

Iginla - I think he's the safest bet of all forwards to have a fruitful career as a top 6 guy. Ceiling isn't as high as Demidov and that's why I have him lower, but his tenacity on the forecheck, elite snapshot and soft hands scream that he's going to be a very valuable piece to a playoff team one day. Competitiveness is off the charts. I think at the very least you're getting a Sam Bennett type here with upside for more offense.

Dickinson - Players this big just don't skate this well. Love how determined he is to carry the puck on zone entries. Doesn't shy away from any situation. Also very competitive, poised and contributes in all areas of the ice. IQ and soft skills is a bit of a question mark but I think he has a very good chance to be an all situations 5v5 20+ min dman. Not sure he's a PP1 guy, which is ultimately why I prefer Buium.

Solberg - I know this is a hot take, but sometimes you just gotta go with your gut. He checks every box for a dman for me. First thing that anyone will notice is his physicality. He's always so engaged and doesn't back down from any challenge. Was winning battles against NHLers at the Worlds. Really hard and explosive shot. I love how patient he's become with the puck at the blueline and how he opens up lanes with deception and fakes. Also extends to his breakouts where he's not afraid to pivot to escape pressure and find those small area passes. Rebounds fast after making mistakes and never plays small. I'm not sure I trust his decision making entirely long term and I just don't quite have enough information to go off of, but to me he should be very squarely in the conversation with the other dmen

jls24

Apr 30, 2013

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I doubt Iginla goesxat#2..IF Hawksxwantedvhom trade down acfew spotsxanf get a sweetener extra prize =high eouubdctwo pick and conbine with #34ti move back up into first round ..

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Every year there seems to be a big dropper

If Eiserman is that guy and is there at #18 (I dont expect him to be but if he is)

Hawks would be wise to grab him, agree? Boom or Bust with him but if he was to be sitting there at #18 it would be perfect for Hawks to grab him

After all we dont have a guy like him in system

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
Every year there seems to be a big dropper

If Eiserman is that guy and is there at #18 (I dont expect him to be but if he is)

Hawks would be wise to grab him, agree? Boom or Bust with him but if he was to be sitting there at #18 it would be perfect for Hawks to grab him

After all we dont have a guy like him in system

If Eiserman is there at 18 Davidson better be doing backwards cartwheels down to the podium to draft him.

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
I watched a lot more Catton last night. The kid is absolutely filthy.
In his combine interview, he said Kevin Korchinski has been one of the biggest helpers for him in knowing what to expect from the draft process. He said he’s one of his best friends. If Catton falls to 7 or later, I hope we seriously consider trading up for him.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad