2024 NHL Draft Thread | No Picks, No Problems

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don’t really get your point though. Best asset available should, theoretically, result in the player with the most value. So best asset available, absent error, will always be better than best player available, although the two may be the same sometimes.

The point is that drafting a player you think is the best asset available is not usually the same as the “best player available” that fans have come to understand “BPA” to be. Like you say, the two may be the same “sometimes.” This is the context of discussing how “draft rankings” overrate wingers vis a vis their actual draft positions .

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
The point is that drafting a player you think is the best asset available is not usually the same as the “best player available” that fans have come to understand “BPA” to be. Like you say, the two may be the same “sometimes.” This is the context of discussing how “draft rankings” overrate wingers vis a vis their actual draft positions .
But theorteically BAA available will always be better than BPA. In practice, of course, errors are made and one could be better than the other for any given pick based on those errors.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Almost no reason to watch the draft on June 28th, with the Canucks not picking until well into the third round on day two.

But it's mildly encouraging that Allvin and his scouting staff seem to be able to unearth some diamonds in the rough in later rounds.

Looking at next year's Abbotsford Canucks lineup, draftees like Ty Mueller, Kiril Kudrvatsov, Elias Pettersson (D-Petey) and even Arturs Silovs were all later round picks. And of course Josh Bloom was a third round pick of the Sabres acquired in a trade.

And even some of their kids still in junior like Sawyer Mynio and Vilmer Arliksson weren't high draft picks--and will probably eventually make their way to Abbotsford.

When you add in undrafted UFA's like Cole McWard, Max Sasson and Arshdeep Bains, the Canucks have done a decent job of finding talent basically overlooked in the draft.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Simon Zether, Jack Berglund, Alexander Zetterberg, and Melvin Fernstrom are the 4 Swedes. Colton Roberts, Luca Marelli, Tory Pitner, and Sebastian Soini are the RHD. Max Plante and Ollie Josephson are the other centres suggested.

Reactions: JetLee

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I don't think there's been a year where my interest in the Draft is at or below zero. Wake me up on July 1st.

But good on San Jose for finally landing the 1st overall pick. It's nice to see a new team up there instead of the usual suspects and rivals scooping up generational talent. Hope our scouts can unearth a late-round gem.

rea

Feb 8, 2011
It's too bad canucks don't have a first, but I'm kinda hoping they find a way to get one in range for parekh.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Ritchie is a slightly undersized, not-very-fast winger with pretty nice hands and a decent compete level. If he hits, he’ll probably be a 30-50 point middle-6 utility winger, much like what Suter basically is.

There is no value to this type of asset. If you would take him at #17 overall (as in that ranking list) you’re essentially ‘trading’ a mid-first round pick for a player who would be nowhere near a mid-first even in a 90th percentile result.

I don’t think Ritchie is as dynamic as Bjorkstrand, but Bjorkstrand makes the same point – at age 27, dead in the middle of his prime and signed not-unreasonably long-term and coming off a 57-point career year … Bjorkstrand was traded for a 3rd and a 4th round pick.

The league doesn’t value this sort of asset, so what’s the point in investing high draft picks in players that project as smallish middle-6 wingers?

To be fair, Ryder Ritchie is miles ahead of where Pius Suter at this point in his initial draft year. I don't think you can completely dismiss that factor. But i do agree with the general premise you're getting at here. I was a little bit shocked by how low you seem to rank him, but i get it. His projection is not as a big value asset through any of the general "middle 68% of outcomes".

Getting smallish Top-9 Filler/Utility wingers is basically the easiest assets to acquire in the league. Ryder isn't absolutely tiny though. I'm not nearly as negative on him overall i don't think. Even though i agree with your reasoning for dropping him hard. Part of that is just...a kind of cruddy draft too.

The value of any draft pick is essentially the cap savings while on cost-controlled contracts...because you could get almost any type of player in free agency if you're willing to spend enough.

I haven't really followed this draft class as much, but there's a big difference between a 30 point winger and a 50 point winger...if you can get a 50 point winger who also contributes in ways besides scoring on an ELC or even bridge RFA deal that's part of the formula for winning.

The thing is...i don't think there always is that huge of a difference between 30 and 50pt wingers. They're often the same guy, in different situations. Particularly when you start to break down how much of it is powerplay and role dependent.

It matters at the NHL level. I think there's still a bit of a "market inefficiency" that exists for guys like Garland, Farabee, et al who can produce extremely well without needing to rely on PP time and production. And it can often be a real mirage when it comes to Junior players with inflated numbers who are just part of a lethal powerplay collecting shrapnel points (and suppress the perceived value of players who are blocked a bit by older/bigger name talent).

That's one thing that i think at least softens my stance on Ryder Ritchie a tiny bit. He's in a role that's been a bit "blocked" and he's clearly not just a total "powerplay merchant". But as a whole, i think he still does fit more into that Pius Suter type projection. He's just not that dynamic offensively, or in general really.

Yeah, we saw this last year when all these sites had the Benson/Cristall/Perron crowd rated incredibly high and then were baffled that ‘dumb’ NHL teams didn’t see it the same way.

And through the 1990s and 2000s, yeah. There were incredible value disparities offered by taking small skill players in an era where NHL teams were taking 12-point face-punching defenders in the first round but a guy who led his league in scoring would go in the 4th round. And these sites (and most of the fans posting here, including myself) realized you could just focus on (usually smallish) high-producing skill players and that you would statistically blow apart the drafting of most NHL teams.

But these things are very fluid and what was smart and represented good value in 2012 isn’t necessarily what is smart and represents good value in 2024.

1. The value proposition has changed completely over the last decade. In 2014 Brayden Point went #79 overall. In 2023 Zach Benson who was basically the exact same player (except a wing and not a C) went #13 overall. The league has adjusted and small players are now valued … pretty appropriately and you can’t just default to ‘draft small guys’ and expect to get some sort of insane moneypuck value.

2. What I’ve realized over years now of draft watching and rating guys is that continually rating small high-producing players highly means that you essentially build a roster of nothing but tiny skill wingers and small PP QB defenders. And it’s not a recipe for success.

3. Further from (2), there has always been this notion that ‘if you draft good players at one position you can trade them for need’ but if you draft a bunch of small skill wingers, that just isn’t how it works. Nobody is trading their top young defensemen for little scoring wingers.

I’ve done a 180 in the last 5 years from being of a stat-counting mindset in draft analysis where instead of looking to generate the most GP/points with my picks and ‘be smarter’ than NHL teams who have lower GP/point totals from their picks I’m looking at generating the highest value from picks and how important it is to add C and D and build the spine of your team.

But most of these scouting sites (and most of the prospect board posters here) are still stuck in 2014 and haven’t made this adjustment. And they’re operating from a totally different playbook than what NHL teams are right now. C, D, and size/physicality are at an incredible premium. And the top 20 picks of the draft will be absolutely dominated by players at those positions or with those traits.

Conor Garland has been a massive eye-opener for me. I loved Garland back in 2015, had him rated in the 2nd round. And I theoretically got that evaluation dead on. But if I had taken him in the 2nd round … he’s only had a couple moments in his career where he would have returned that invested cost in a trade. At age 27 coming off a 46-point season he was basically judged to be completely worthless by the NHL. And even though I nailed the player evaluation, it wouldn’t really have been a very good pick if I’d actually taken him as highly as I had him rated. The guys that actually carry value out of that range of that draft are guys like Roope Hintz, Rasmus Andersson, Anthony Cirelli, Erik Cernak. Big players or C/D or both. And if you keep taking Garlands you’re never going to have those sorts of hits of core-type assets that are nearly impossible to find if you don’t draft them.

Really good post. And i think pretty well sums up my thoughts on "draft value" and the way things have shifted. At this point, it's about getting the assets you can't really get anywhere else. Or at least, not without an exorbitant cost and a huge amount of risk. Namely...it's good Centers and big mobile defencemen.

The mindset is

Generational
Elite talent
#1D
#1C
#2D
First line forward
Second line center
#3D
Second line wingers
#4 D
Third line players
bottom pairing D
Fourth line forwards

See, i think this is somewhat on the right track. But i feel like it's breaking things down in a somewhat overly detailed way numerical way...at the expense of really reflecting some of the value discrepancies in "player types" within those categorizations.

It's why say...Dakota Joshua and Pius Suter scored at a fairly comparable rate this year. But if Suter were a UFA again...he's probably still not touching much more than his $1.6M "bargain" deal. While Joshua is probably looking at a stupid $4M deal from some teams. He brings elements that are more coveted, more scarce, and harder to acquire without overpaying or "overdrafting" or just getting a bit lucky with a late bloomer like that. Even though numerically...Suter played a lot more as a "2nd or even 1st line winger". Rather than a "3rd line winger". Where as above...it's vital to contextualize production and role.

It's where i tend to look at things, and i think a lot more teams are starting to look at things very differently than those specific rigidly numbered roles like that. And more in terms of the role they'll actually play, or what the limits of their capacity is to "carry play".

And what sort of impact a player will have in those roles.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
But theorteically BAA available will always be better than BPA. In practice, of course, errors are made and one could be better than the other for any given pick based on those errors.

I don't 100% understand what you mean so I might be disagreeing on that basis. I just don't think that's the case when the definition of BAA is separate and not the same as BPA. I'm talking instances where the team is more or less objectively passing what the team considers to be the BPA for the BAA.

Take the current valuation of Boeser here. How many here would trade him for a 2nd pairing shutdown RHD of similar age? But at the draft, how many here would prefer that 2nd pairing shutdown Dman over a 1st line winger who has the potential to score 30+ goals in the NHL?

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I don't 100% understand what you mean so I might be disagreeing on that basis. I just don't think that's the case when the definition of BAA is separate and not the same as BPA. I'm talking instances where the team is more or less objectively passing what the team considers to be the BPA for the BAA.

Take the current valuation of Boeser here. How many here would trade him for a 2nd pairing shutdown RHD of similar age? But at the draft, how many here would prefer that 2nd pairing shutdown Dman over a 1st line winger who has the potential to score 30+ goals in the NHL?
As your question, the preference should just come down to the most valuable asset. You should always prefer the most valuable asset. So in your question you take the most valuable asset whatever that is, and theoretically if you drafted based on BAA you’d end up with the same player.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
1. The value proposition has changed completely over the last decade. In 2014 Brayden Point went #79 overall. In 2023 Zach Benson who was basically the exact same player (except a wing and not a C) went #13 overall. The league has adjusted and small players are now valued … pretty appropriately and you can’t just default to ‘draft small guys’ and expect to get some sort of insane moneypuck value.
Teams will draft a smaller player early, but there would be a cap on how many a team would draft.
Buffalo drafted Savoie, Ostlund and Benson all in round 1 the past 2 drafts. I can't imagine that they would spend another high pick on a smaller F in the next 2 drafts.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Teams will draft a smaller player early, but there would be a cap on how many a team would draft.
Buffalo drafted Savoie, Ostlund and Benson all in round 1 the past 2 drafts. I can't imagine that they would spend another high pick on a smaller F in the next 2 drafts.

You can see this already in the rest of their 2023 draft when every other player they picked after Benson was 6'2+.

Reactions: bossram

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
It helps that Buffalo has so many assets over the years to acquire the bigger, core players. Dahlin/Power/Cozens/Samuelsson in draft, Tuch/Thompson/Byram in trade. They can afford to take some smaller skill players. Its a unique situation, but a nice way for them to round out the team.

Some of their younger players, like Quinn/Kulich/Peterka, aren't small either, so if there is another small forward that they really like, I don't think they would avoid him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Drafting BPA. As Shane Malloy has said if you have a grouping of players that are the same tier, you pick the player that is harder to find. Centers/ Defence then wingers.

Your evaluation of Ritchie vs Elick. If Ritchie is likely to be a middle 6, 40 point winger and Elick is likely to be a 3rd pair defender. Most likely take the 40 point winger. If a team views Elick as a #4 D, he's most likely going to go ahead of Ritchie. When you look at models like Byron Bader, it's 30 years of data that is the likelihood of the outcomes in that scenario. Obviously there is no perfect drafting method.

Teams are going to take a #3 D over a second line winger as well.

Elick has all kinds of top-4 upside. He's big, mobile, positionally sound. He isn't going to be a flashy player but he's a solid bet to end up in that Carlo/Edmundson tier of guys who have been high-leverage 2nd pairing defenders for most of their careers.

BPA to me is kind of a nonsense theoretical construct that only really applies once in a blue moon (Kopitar in 2005 as an example). But the general interpretation of BPA is right back to what I'm saying about fan/scouting service rankings - 'BPA' is just generally interpreted as the guy with the most points when you come up to draft. And it's usually a small skill winger.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
See, i think this is somewhat on the right track. But i feel like it's breaking things down in a somewhat overly detailed way numerical way...at the expense of really reflecting some of the value discrepancies in "player types" within those categorizations.

It's why say...Dakota Joshua and Pius Suter scored at a fairly comparable rate this year. But if Suter were a UFA again...he's probably still not touching much more than his $1.6M "bargain" deal. While Joshua is probably looking at a stupid $4M deal from some teams. He brings elements that are more coveted, more scarce, and harder to acquire without overpaying or "overdrafting" or just getting a bit lucky with a late bloomer like that. Even though numerically...Suter played a lot more as a "2nd or even 1st line winger". Rather than a "3rd line winger". Where as above...it's vital to contextualize production and role.

It's where i tend to look at things, and i think a lot more teams are starting to look at things very differently than those specific rigidly numbered roles like that. And more in terms of the role they'll actually play, or what the limits of their capacity is to "carry play".

And what sort of impact a player will have in those roles.
That breakdown isn't just related to just scoring though.

I would say GM's what you said in the bolded paragraph have been doing that for probably close to a decade now at least. I've noticed it for a very long time.

I'd say fans get to fixated on their own beliefs of certain types. Just like analytics guys get to fixated on the numbers. Good teams are made up of players with a lot of different aspects.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
My Stenlund comparison for Zether is looking pretty good now.
So you're saying the Canucks shouldn't waste a pick on Zether since they can just pick him up off waivers or sign him to a standard player contract after the team that drafts him lets him go.

Just kidding. 😜

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Corey Pronman tried to attempt the impossible and do a full mock draft.

Vancouver Canucks
93. Veeti Vaisanen, D, Kookoo (FINLAND)
125. Hunter Laing, C, Prince George (WHL)
162. Blake Montgomery, LW, Lincoln (USHL)
189. Teodor Munther, G, Djurgarden Jr. (SWEDEN-JR.)
221. Petr Sikora, C, Trinec Jr. (CZECHIA-JR.)

Here's some info from each of these players according to Elite Prospects.

Veeti Vaisanen
EP Rank: 116
EP Grade: C
6'0'' 179lbs
A mobile blueliner whose defensive matury and physical edge allowed him to play full-time minutes in Liiga as a 17-year-old.

Hunter Laing
EP Rank: NR
EP Grade: F
6'6'' 192lbs
A towering pass-first forward who slips away from defensive coverage for deflections, but lacks the physical game and skating to play in the NHL.

Blake Montgomery
EP Rank: 61
EP Grade: B
6'4'' 181lbs
A play-driving power wing with speed to burn, shooting skill, vision, and defensive ability. Lots of development left, but could hit it big.

Teodor Munther
6'0'' 185lbs
Manages play behind the net with ease due to his exquisite post-integration. Generously listed at 6-feet tall, but counters the lack of size by being an above-average puck tracker.

Petr Sikora
6'0'' 174lbs
Forechecking forward with good puck control, who can score beautiful goals with his wrist shot.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm gonna be an old man yelling at a cloud and have my annual rant about how mock drafts are stupid and pointless and I hate them.

Reactions: Vector

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I like these very dumb long ones because they call attention to players I've never heard of. Now I know who Blake Montgomery is!

But you can accomplish the exact same thing by doing a very long player ranking!

Player rankings : have value.
Consensus rankings : have value.

Randomly assigning some Czech defender to some team in the 2nd or 3rd round because that team has 'liked Czechs' in some prior drafts : utterly pointless.

Reactions: pitseleh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad