2024 NHL Draft Thread | No Picks, No Problems

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I'd probably sign up for Recrutes hockey guide before EP. If you can take away the Grant bias he does a much better job of projecting NHL players. Feel like a lot of the reports from EP are people watching junior players and not future NHLers.

Never heard of Recrutes. I really like the extensiveness and write-ups from EP. I get enough info from them to make my own lists and can identify traits I prefer over their own. For the most part, I'm looking at late round guys anyway so there's a lot of dart throwing.

Reactions: bossram

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Never heard of Recrutes. I really like the extensiveness and write-ups from EP. I get enough info from them to make my own lists and can identify traits I prefer over their own. For the most part, I'm looking at late round guys anyway so there's a lot of dart throwing.
Grant McCagg's. His takes are horrendous but he was a former MTL scout for a couple years, he has an eye for hockey if you listen to him but when it comes to rankings, he said Kotkaniemi will be a better all around player than Matthews. He's can recognize aspects of players games but when ranking them, it's mind boggling. Seems as if he hates anyone that has better offence than defence.

Cam Robinson and his love for speed and skill over anything. At dobber prospects he put 44 players under 5'10" in his top 100 rankings once a few years ago and only 26 players in the entire draft were 5'10" and under.

Makes some of the articles hard to believe. 🤓

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
As always, huge caveat on my opinions. I barely watch any prospects. My extremely uninformed opinions come from recognizing traits that play up in as prospects advance, stat watching, and reading others opinions. I very rarely actually get to watch any draft hopefuls play.

One of my favourite prospects is Simon Zether. 6'3 187lb right-shot Swedish centre. Dominated the junior league and has spent most of the season in the SHL. At the beginning of the year he had a few 1st round rankings but has gradually fallen down the rankings due to his lack of upside. Not fleet of foot nor possessing high-end offensive skill, he's a player that projects as a 3rd line centre ceiling. His game is based around puck possession, passing, and board work. His game sounds more suited to North America than Sweden. In the 3rd round, there's a lot of value there.

Comparables: Oskar Sundqvist & Kevin Stenlund

NamePositionCountryLeagueDoBGPGAPCSSEPGradeHeightWeight
Simon ZetherCSwedenSweHL10/18/054204418106C6'3187

Here's his Elite Prospects write-up.

We could see a team select Simon Zether much higher than where we have him slotted on our board, considering his high scoring pace in Sweden’s junior league and his regular role on an SHL team at 18-year-old. His statistical profile suggests that he will be an effective NHLer for many years. And for a time, we even believed that he could be one of the better players in this class.

Zether excels in small-areas. With his imposing stature, he can knock opponents away, shield the puck, and control it on the wall. But he doesn’t get stuck in needless cycle plays. Aware and possessing above-average passing skills, Zether can reach teammates by slipping between defenders and under sticks.

In the defensive zone, he rotates well, follows his check, and puts his stick in the right lanes, denying space and plays from the opposition. And understanding that the puck moves significantly faster than his heavy feet, he rarely keeps possession long in transition. He orchestrates give-and-goes to move it up the ice and into high-danger areas.

“He is always close to the puck and seems to have full control of his surroundings,” wrote Elite Prospects Swedish Scout Jimmy Hamrin in a February game report. “He wins board battles and makes good plays from there. He supports the puck carrier excellently and helps both defencemen and forwards in defensive situations in all three zones. He was behind almost all smart offensive plays and both the Swedish goals in the game.”

The lack of creativity in Zether’s game had us lower him slowly on our draft board during the season, but his attention to details, physicality, and passing skills could open up a fourth-line, penalty killing NHL role for him down the line. To get there, he will have to develop his skating, though.

Last edited:

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
It's strange to think of Simon Zether as a 3rd round pick considering how much he would need to improve many aspects of his game to reach the NHL level and to be considered a player that projects as a 4th liner. Looking at his comparable Kevin Stenlund though. He was a very late 2nd round pick to the Blue Jackets (58oa), in that 2015 draft. Kevin Stenlund is the 59th highest scoring player.

In the 3rd round, I would much rather be swinging for someone with a much higher ceiling barring there is still one available, then pick someone that projects like Zether closer to the 5th round.

Reactions: arttk

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
It's strange to think of Simon Zether as a 3rd round pick considering how much he would need to improve many aspects of his game to reach the NHL level and to be considered a player that projects as a 4th liner. Looking at his comparable Kevin Stenlund though. He was a very late 2nd round pick to the Blue Jackets (58oa), in that 2015 draft. Kevin Stenlund is the 59th highest scoring player.

In the 3rd round, I would much rather be swinging for someone with a much higher ceiling barring there is still one available, then pick someone that projects like Zether closer to the 5th round.

Zether is actually a 2nd rounder according to pretty much every other publication. Only EP is this low on him. His only real knock is his skating and I'd put his upper end comparable as Oskar Sundqvist. Same height, 3rd pick, both made the jump from Swe-JR to SHL but didn't produce. Both are more suited to a North American game. Even if he ends up not being a full-time centre like Sundqvist, there's still a useful NHL player there.

I do get the idea of drafting for high-end potential, though. I just really like Zether's profile and see him as a guy who'll play in the NHL.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Zether is actually a 2nd rounder according to pretty much every other publication. Only EP is this low on him. His only real knock is his skating and I'd put his upper end comparable as Oskar Sundqvist. Same height, 3rd pick, both made the jump from Swe-JR to SHL but didn't produce. Both are more suited to a North American game. Even if he ends up not being a full-time centre like Sundqvist, there's still a useful NHL player there.

I do get the idea of drafting for high-end potential, though. I just really like Zether's profile and see him as a guy who'll play in the NHL.

Hit rates on guys who played their full draft year in a quality men's Euro league tend to be very good even if the production isn't there.

Zether is also a guy who might fall through cracks because he was too old for this year's U18s but not really old enough for the U20s so received little exposure playing against his peers.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Agreed. The level of detail and volume of information from EP's guide is second to none.

You don't really need to give any credit to their actual rankings to get a ton of value from it.

Reactions: Vector

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
They need to do what has made their drafting famous over the years; Draft overage, smallish players with no skill after the second round with the hopes they will grow younger and become skillful.

Last edited:

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
They need to do what has made their drafting famous over the years; Draft overage, smallish players with no skill after the second round with the hopes they will grow younger and become skillful.
That is half of the free agents that aren't going to be signed by other teams. Haha.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
TARIN SMITH D
EVERETT SILVERTIPS WHL
6'1” 174 lbs

SIMON ZETHER C
RöGLE BK SHL
6'3” 185 lbs

RILEY PATTERSON C
BARRIE COLTS OHL
6'0” 176 lbs

JACK BODIN D
ÖREBRO HK J20 J20-NATIONELL
6'4” 209 lbs

JAKE FISHER C
UNIV. OF DENVER NCAA
6'2” 182 lbs

FC mock draft builder.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
I wouldn't mind taking a run at another player that profiles like Brzustewicz, ie. someone poised to put up video game like stats due to roster turnover. Even if you don't believe in their long term pro potential, they're an appealing trade chip further on down the road.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
You had me (and likely the Canucks’ brain trust) at “Swedish”. :laugh:

I’m not even really kidding. Our track record with Swedes is terrific. That and the USA.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
I wouldn't mind taking a run at another player that profiles like Brzustewicz, ie. someone poised to put up video game like stats due to roster turnover. Even if you don't believe in their long term pro potential, they're an appealing trade chip further on down the road.
That was also Sawyer Mynio.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Grant McCagg's. His takes are horrendous but he was a former MTL scout for a couple years, he has an eye for hockey if you listen to him but when it comes to rankings, he said Kotkaniemi will be a better all around player than Matthews. He's can recognize aspects of players games but when ranking them, it's mind boggling. Seems as if he hates anyone that has better offence than defence.

Cam Robinson and his love for speed and skill over anything. At dobber prospects he put 44 players under 5'10" in his top 100 rankings once a few years ago and only 26 players in the entire draft were 5'10" and under.

Makes some of the articles hard to believe. 🤓
I think the current best guy is David St. Louis at Elite Prospects.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
I think the current best guy is David St. Louis at Elite Prospects.
Most are pretty good. I've always liked listening to Chris Peters of Flo hockey. Hockey prospect radio on XM with Shane Malloy, he's very knowledgable. Malloy wrote a book "the art of scouting". Pronman has some of the most insane personal rankings but his mock drafts are actually really good. Steven Ellis of daily face-off is good as well.

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
He's listed at 6'1 172 in the 2022 CSS rankings and 6'1 184 in the 2024 CSS rankings so I have my doubts that that 172 lbs weight is accurate unless he's gained zero weight between age 18 and 20. And if the weight is old the height probably is too?

Official combine stats were 6'1.25 and 187lbs.

Reactions: MS

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
pick best player avaliable. no firsts or seconds. looking forward to teams making trades on draft day. shock the hockey world. canucks could use a litttle help in the center positions and right wing/right shot D positions. they sorely lack in those areas.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
pick best player avaliable. no firsts or seconds. looking forward to teams making trades on draft day. shock the hockey world. canucks could use a litttle help in the center positions and right wing/right shot D positions. they sorely lack in those areas.

That usually doesn’t happen once the mid-2nd round hits. Although the Canucks did that last season with Brzustewicz.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad