GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Just make the damn pick. Unless we're getting a similarly valued roster player in straight trade, I don't want us to move the pick. Id be legitimately upset if we're moving this for just picks.

The chance of any of those picks being the same caliber of our options at 4 is too low.

Reactions: LJ7 and Ice9

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
One alternative possibility is that our scouts have someone off the radar near the top of their list. And I'm not talking about Sennecke or someone like that who could plausibly get picked top 5. Someone who is never considered a top 5 or maybe never a top 10, where you might take the risk that you could get them at #12.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
just throwing it out there for the sake of the discourse: if they trade #4 overall for immediate (and expensive) help, we're gonna need to have the "ownership is the actual problem" conversation

jarmo's most panned moves (babcock, severson, gudbranson) over the last few years were all clear "win now" moves when the team wasn't ready for it. if they bring in another GM only to stay on that track… well, it'll sure feel ownership-driven to me.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
just throwing it out there for the sake of the discourse: if they trade #4 overall for immediate (and expensive) help, we're gonna need to have the "ownership is the actual problem" conversation

jarmo's most panned moves (babcock, severson, gudbranson) over the last few years were all clear "win now" moves when the team wasn't ready for it. if they bring in another GM only to stay on that track… well, it'll sure feel ownership-driven to me.

It'd also be entirely possible that Waddell thinks the same sort of move is appropriate and necessary without ownership or JD or Priest or any of the umpteen billion other whipping boys being somehow insidiously responsible.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
100% fine with trading back unless we take Buium at 4. He's by FAR my favorite prospect after Celebrini in this draft. Not sold on Demidov or Lindstrom (can't get past back injury) this high.

That said I will not at all be surprised if Anaheim grabs Buium at 3.

If we move back I like Sennecke and Catton in that 6 to 12 range (unless Buium still there).

Did I mentioned I love Buium? 😻

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The fanduel betting market has the draft going like this:

1. Celebrini

2. Levshunov (breaking heavily for him today)

3. Silayev or Sennecke or Buium (they have no idea)

4. Lindstrom (2-1 odds of being our pick)

5. Demidov, or maybe Lindstrom, if he's there.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020

It'd also be entirely possible that Waddell thinks the same sort of move is appropriate and necessary without ownership or JD or Priest or any of the umpteen billion other whipping boys being somehow insidiously responsible.
it is entirely possible that waddell has the same myopic focus on accelerating the timeline of this very young/bad team to make the playoffs immediately that his predecessor did.

but, in that case, why change horses in the first place? jarmo's undoing was because he got impatient and took big swings, why replace him with another guy who has the same plan?

to me, that would suggest (but not prove) that ownership is either meddling or thinks that the same process will magically yield a different outcome. either way, not encouraging!

Reactions: Napoli

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
it is entirely possible that waddell has the same myopic focus on accelerating the timeline of this very young/bad team to make the playoffs immediately that his predecessor did.

but, in that case, why change horses in the first place? jarmo's undoing was because he got impatient and took big swings, why replace him with another guy who has the same plan?
If this is indeed the case, maybe there’s also the possibility that we are indeed closer than we fans think. Again, if they’d held even half the leads they blew under Vincent they would’ve been at around 35 wins, and that’s with piss poor special teams and wildly inconsistent goaltending.

Reactions: Viqsi

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
If this is indeed the case, maybe there’s also the possibility that we are indeed closer than we fans think. Again, if they’d held even half the leads they blew under Vincent they would’ve been at around 35 wins, and that’s with piss poor special teams and wildly inconsistent goaltending.
sure, and this would align with parts of what waddell said, but brings up some other questions:
  1. if they truly are close, again, why change the GM?
  2. if the roster is near-playoff quality, why the "5+ new faces" comment?
  3. given their asset surplus, why part with the #4 overall pick instead of shoring up the roster using other assets?

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
One alternative possibility is that our scouts have someone off the radar near the top of their list. And I'm not talking about Sennecke or someone like that who could plausibly get picked top 5. Someone who is never considered a top 5 or maybe never a top 10, where you might take the risk that you could get them at #12.
If that’s the case though, I still think I’d prefer trading down to only 8 or 9. If you move to 12, you run the risk of another team at 10/11 also having that guy near the top of their board.

I’m also not a huge fan anyway of when scouting departments have someone WAY off-board at/near the top, but that’s a different discussion I guess.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
I would not be surprised
Wasn’t Chinny and PLD picks in that vein?
I think it is highly likely cause history is prologue

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I think if Demidov is available and we pass on him, the only thing I want to see is Montreal also picking someone else. The meltdown will be epic
Honestly, my top result from today is that Montreal doesn't get either Demidov or Lindstrom entirely because I want to read hundreds of pages of meltdown.

Reactions: GoJackets1

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL

Well this one is credible.

I’m VERY curious what this would be if it’s not a 3-way trade. Carolina doesn’t have a pick until #27, do they have a bad team’s first round pick in 2025?

Just don’t see how they could out-bid Philly here, Necas doesn’t move the needle that much imo. Don’t know what else they could AND would be willing to give up to get up to 4?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad