GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Thread | 11:30 AM EST | NHLN/ESPN+

Predict CBJ's draft position

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
We're going to get a good pick at 4 if we take it. I'm starting to lean with a trade back. I'm still for Lindstrom, Levshunov or Demidov (and one will be there), but a trade back and even grabbing Helenius, Yakemchuck, Sennecke, Dickinson... to name a few options... would be good too and depending on the asset added to move back, could be a very good option. I think the front end of this draft is really really good with options CBJ needs

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I’m with you Squash, I’m very high on Sennecke. Perhaps he’s not tops on my list but I’d be very excited about him as the pick.
Exactly. Demidov is far and away my first choice, but I just can't imagine that that will matter because I don't see how both Chicago and Anaheim pass on him. But of the rest, Sennecke and Buium are my favorites, and I'm letting position of greater need in the org make the choice between them there.

I've liked everything I've seen of Lindstrom on the ice, but I'm just too skittish about a herniated disc in a teenager to take him over one of the other options. He also seems very similar to Fantilli in that he's a big, fast kid with only mid-tier hockey IQ, so goes fast and strong but maybe doesn't know where he'll end up. And I'm not sure penciling in two players with similar styles and weaknesses is wise. But perhaps that's too shallow of a read.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
As I’ve said before, I’ve not watched film on these prospects like many of you have. I do read your evaluations along with all the scouting articles available. Here’s where it leads me.

The bast way for a team like the CBJ to jump a level is to strengthen the back end. IMO it’s not very good. The veteran signings have done little to improve performance and I’m left thinking the building blocks are Z, Jiricek and Mateychuk with Severson a 4-5 guy. Maybe Svozil will emerge but that’s a question mark.

Thus, I’m thinking aside from Demidov (sounds dynamic with high upside) or to fulfill our need for a top 6 center Lindstrom (assuming he’s 1000% fit, though back issues scare me big-time), I’ll take a defensemen who can play defense as we have the offensive DMen. And in my mind, size is a factor in making that choice. I know the prevailing thought is you don’t take a defensive oriented DMan at 4, I’ll make the exception if DMan is the choice.

Reactions: Viqsi

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
The bast way for a team like the CBJ to jump a level is to strengthen the back end. IMO it’s not very good. The veteran signings have done little to improve performance and I’m left thinking the building blocks are Z, Jiricek and Mateychuk with Severson a 4-5 guy. Maybe Svozil will emerge but that’s a question mark.
defensemen take much longer to develop, though. werenski is the exception to that (was ready to go in his D+2) but didn't take another jump until a couple seasons later.

anecdotally, i've heard smart hockey folks say that it takes about 200 games in the NHL until a defenseman is fully developed.

the free agent signings are (imo) better than folks realize (gudbranson was good this year, and severson is a legit good second pairing guy) but i don't think adding another 18 year old to the pipeline will do much towards fixing the issues on the back-end.

better coaching + development/growth from jiricek and mateychuk are the two most direct paths there. failing those, i'd lean towards a trade rather than using a top five pick.

Exactly. Demidov is far and away my first choice, but I just can't imagine that that will matter because I don't see how both Chicago and Anaheim pass on him. But of the rest, Sennecke and Buium are my favorites, and I'm letting position of greater need in the org make the choice between them there.

I've liked everything I've seen of Lindstrom on the ice, but I'm just too skittish about a herniated disc in a teenager to take him over one of the other options. He also seems very similar to Fantilli in that he's a big, fast kid with only mid-tier hockey IQ, so goes fast and strong but maybe doesn't know where he'll end up. And I'm not sure penciling in two players with similar styles and weaknesses is wise. But perhaps that's too shallow of a read.
lindstrom's tools and trajectory are very appealing, but i'm with you on demidov and sennecke being the two top targets.

cbj could take one of them and then tap into its organizational depth on the wing to go get an established center. the team would be better off for it.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
This is also around the time when people started reliably hearing Carlsson at 2. Fwiw
Been hearing this for a while .. personally I think he has a much higher ceiling than Lindstrom .. thought this was interesting ….some scouts see Sennecke as a center in NHL

IMG_3596.png

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
This morning I heard the name Ilya Nabokov for the first time. He’s a 21 year old goalie who had insane stats as a rookie in the KHL this year, especially in the playoffs. I know we already have a similar guy in Ivanov, but we still need some organizational depth there. I’d definitely take him in the 3rd if he’s there, and would maybe consider him in the 2nd even if Pulkkinen is gone and there aren’t any noteworthy fallers.

Just another guy that got put on my radar that I felt like sharing haha

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
This morning I heard the name Ilya Nabokov for the first time. He’s a 21 year old goalie who had insane stats as a rookie in the KHL this year, especially in the playoffs. I know we already have a similar guy in Ivanov, but we still need some organizational depth there. I’d definitely take him in the 3rd if he’s there, and would maybe consider him in the 2nd even if Pulkkinen is gone and there aren’t any noteworthy fallers.
i'm not usually one to advocate using early-round picks on goalies or overagers, but nabokov would be the exception for me. i'd be very willing to use a second round pick on him. those KHL stats seem really translatable.

otherwise, a few potential second round targets on my wish list:
  • defensemen
    • brunicke
    • danford
    • badinka
    • kleber
  • forwards
    • surin
    • letourneau
    • artamonov

Reactions: Aaaarrgghh

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
i'm not usually one to advocate using early-round picks on goalies or overagers, but nabokov would be the exception for me. i'd be very willing to use a second round pick on him. those KHL stats seem really translatable.

otherwise, a few potential second round targets on my wish list:
  • defensemen
    • brunicke
    • danford
    • badinka
    • kleber
  • forwards
    • surin
    • letourneau
    • artamonov
I went on Tankathon the other day to quickly check up the draft order and was bummed out seeing Surin and Badinka mock drafted right ahead of Columbus at #34. They are my two of my favourites for that pick.

Just another guy that got put on my radar that I felt like sharing haha
I am all for this! Especially since I don't really get their goalie pick last year. Columbus' good goalie prospects (Greaves and Ivanov) are below the magic 6 ft barrier, so I guess it would be nice to have one above that too.

Reactions: GoJackets1

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I think I'm equally excited for all 3 of Sennecke, Demidov and Lindstrom, but all for different reasons. I'll be happy with any of the three.

Lindstrom for obvious reasons.

Demidov and Sennecke are slightly different, but I think with Sennecke you see what he's been able to do and there's still the, well he's not even done growing so we don't truly know what his ceiling might be excitement.

Where as with Demidov theres the Russian factor, which for Columbus has been a good thing. The skill level matches that of anyone in the draft and as long as their personalities match, we have the perfect locker room for him to fit in from day 1.

Reactions: majormajor

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I went on Tankathon the other day to quickly check up the draft order and was bummed out seeing Surin and Badinka mock drafted right ahead of Columbus at #34. They are my two of my favourites for that pick.

I am all for this! Especially since I don't really get their goalie pick last year. Columbus' good goalie prospects (Greaves and Ivanov) are below the magic 6 ft barrier, so I guess it would be nice to have one above that too.
Yeah, I’m with you. We shouldn’t pick some random goalie in the 5th round if we actually want to add good depth to the pipeline. Having Greaves, Ivanov, and Nabokov would make me feel pretty good about our future goalie situation.

Also, I want to acquire as many -ov’s in this draft as possible to add to our current group. Demidov and Nabokov, come on down!

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

I've been thinking that for awhile, we haven't taken a high profile goalie prospect in...well...ever? I don't remember how highly touted Mason was but I feel like he was somewhat of a big deal when we drafted him.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I've been thinking that for awhile, we haven't taken a high profile goalie prospect in...well...ever? I don't remember how highly touted Mason was but I feel like he was somewhat of a big deal when we drafted him.
LeClaire, Mason and Dansk are the only ones that come to my mind.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Where as with Demidov theres the Russian factor, which for Columbus has been a good thing. The skill level matches that of anyone in the draft and as long as their personalities match, we have the perfect locker room for him to fit in from day 1.
Draft Demidov, trade for McGroarty. The locker room would essentially be one third UMich, one third Russian, one third other.

Also I rather like Andrew Basha in the second if we keep it. Saw a good bit of him on Lindstrom videos. He's fast.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
As I’ve said before, I’ve not watched film on these prospects like many of you have. I do read your evaluations along with all the scouting articles available. Here’s where it leads me.

Thus, I’m thinking aside from Demidov (sounds dynamic with high upside) or to fulfill our need for a top 6 center Lindstrom (assuming he’s 1000% fit, though back issues scare me big-time), I’ll take a defensemen who can play defense as we have the offensive DMen. And in my mind, size is a factor in making that choice. I know the prevailing thought is you don’t take a defensive oriented DMan at 4, I’ll make the exception if DMan is the choice.
I'm operating on the same information sources and I'm not too far off from this same evaluation. That said, I don't think getting a defenseman in the draft is going to help us now, or at any point in the near future either. So I'd go there not because I think that's what we need the most now, but because I think it'd be a useful long-term investment regardless.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

If I was higher on Silayev I could almost agree with you. He has that stylistic contrast with the bulk of our D-men.

But in general you run out of room for D much quicker. The number of possibilities to make a young forward fit are much higher. And especially with young D, as @cbjthrowaway noted, they take so long to reach their primes, that we may be setting ourselves back by introducing so many of them around the same time. I think we need a veteran shutdown guy, not a rookie. Silayev has good sense for defense but it will take him time nonetheless to figure things out in the NHL.

Have you seen Jesse Pulkkinen yet? He's 6'6 and mean. Doesn't skate like Silayev and is more of a project defensively. But I see higher upside at both ends and would love to get him at #36.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
The trade market rarely if ever works that way. Not unless you're trading a likely star winger for a low-end #2C at absolute best.
this isn't actually true in practice, though. most deals for established centers take the exact form of teams leveraging organizational depth to put together a futures-oriented, multi-piece offer.

to go ahead and source that claim, here are a few recent ones that come to mind:
  1. horvat to NYI for beauvillier + raty + 2023 1st
  2. hertl w/retention + two 3rds to VGK for edstrom + 2025 1st
  3. lindholm to CGY for kuzmenko, jurmo, brzustewicz, 2024 1st + 2024 4th
  4. eichel + 3rd to VGK for tuch, krebs, 22 1st and 23 2nd
  5. reinhart to FLA for levi + a 2022 1st
  6. trocheck to CAR for haula, wallmark, priskie and luostarinen
i'm also not saying the jackets would be exclusively packaging wingers in a trade for a center. i'm saying that drafting a high-ceiling winger (demidov, for example) would make it more palatable to use their current young wingers in a package.

if a legit star center hits the market who the jackets think can drastically re-shape the roster, the parallel to the eichel package would be marchenko, sillinger, and a 1st. if it's someone like horvat, who is more of a good number two, it'd be texier + dumais + a 1st.

they've built up a ton of organizational depth. the focus now should turn to improving at the top of the lineup. with a top five draft pick + a deep war chest of trade chips, that's very doable.

Reactions: squashmaple

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
If I was higher on Silayev I could almost agree with you. He has that stylistic contrast with the bulk of our D-men.

But in general you run out of room for D much quicker. The number of possibilities to make a young forward fit are much higher. And especially with young D, as @cbjthrowaway noted, they take so long to reach their primes, that we may be setting ourselves back by introducing so many of them around the same time. I think we need a veteran shutdown guy, not a rookie. Silayev has good sense for defense but it will take him time nonetheless to figure things out in the NHL.

Have you seen Jesse Pulkkinen yet? He's 6'6 and mean. Doesn't skate like Silayev and is more of a project defensively. But I see higher upside at both ends and would love to get him at #36.
That's the double edge sword of Silayev. But for a team whose not really looking to compete for 2-3 years the pick makes sense. By the time Silayev is ready to come over, well I'm just glad we're not in the west. Anaheim is gonna be scary (and not just because of Silayev)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad