GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Okay with Lindstrom if they’re 90% confident in the medicals.

Felt a similar feeling to when it was PLD over JP, but that ended up being the right pick technically… so I’ll trust the scouts and roll with this one.. “hope for the best!”

Sidenote— would love to hear what their assessment was of Demidov. Someone mentioned earlier about CBJ not seeing him play live and/or their ability to sign him.. how much did any of that play into it if at all?
noone could see him or sign him? I doubt it mattered, I think Waddell and the staff wanted to bring more skills that the team is sorely lacking

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
annnnd my reaction to the Nashville pick...
Chernyshov was RIGHT THERE as a possibility to get over the fear of Russians and they went off the board.

Second time today I'm using this GIF...

gwr0r.gif

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Sidenote— would love to hear what their assessment was of Demidov. Someone mentioned earlier about CBJ not seeing him play live and/or their ability to sign him.. how much did any of that play into it if at all?

Every club is used to video scouting now, but not seeing him live does factor into it a little bit. There isn't much concern about signing Demidov because he is free to sign in the NHL next year and he's learning English quickly and very close to NHL ready. He obviously wants to play in the NHL soon.

I think there is some question about whether Demidov or Lindstrom is really the hardest player to get. Lindstrom has the strength and speed to break defenses and make space for the soft skill guys that we have in abundance - I'm thinking of KJ and Gaudreau especially. I'm guessing that was the calculation. Not so much about what we already have, but more about how much a player like Lindstrom opens up space for skill on the ice around him and how impossible it is get a player like him aside from this draft choice.

annnnd my reaction to the Nashville pick...

You're going to love Yegor Surin. Dubinsky type fiery competitor.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
they are talking about how they are starting a long rebuild and got a future 1st rounder for the literal last pick in the 1st round.

I don't know the conditions but the Oilers pick is probably #29-#32 next year, so you really only make that move as the Flyers if you're not excited with the players you can pick there this year.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Pulkkinen (!!!), Miettinen, Chernyshov.... still available and there are only 3 more teams before our #36.

I say keep the pick Waddell.

I'd be thrilled to get any of them, especially Pulkkinen. And obviously our scouting staff won't have overlooked any of these guys.

But once we get into the 2nd round there are a lot of possible picks that I haven't seen play at all so I'm not going to worry too much if Ville Siren calls out a name I haven't heard of.

Reactions: tunnelvision

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Chernyshov's sunburn could be the key to a team getting a second round steal.

[He was unable to play in the Russian prospect showcase in Florida because he promptly got badly sunburned after arrival]

He's a power forward with great top speed and handling. I can see a little bit of Nichushkin in his game, and a little Chinakhov the way he wheels around the zone at speed.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Chernyshov's sunburn could be the key to a team getting a second round steal.

[He was unable to play in the Russian prospect showcase in Florida because he promptly got badly sunburned after arrival]

He's a power forward with great top speed and handling. I can see a little bit of Nichushkin in his game, and a little Chinakhov the way he wheels around the zone at speed.
I'd be very happy if the Blue Jackets got him, Badinka or Basha and Nabokov on day 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad