Collapse of Regional Sports Networks (Diamond Sports Group files bankruptcy, Warner-Discovery looking to leave business, Xfinity drops Bally)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Yeah in Canada is way more harder than in the US to change this

Yankees, Dodgers, etc..

People always overlook *why* MLS was able to put the entire league on Apple -- because only a couple teams got paid anything (and it was peanuts) for regional rights. Coupled with being offered peanuts for national rights. You can then go with a single bidder for worldwide rights.

The Dodgers alone make more per annum for regional broadcasts than MLS (the entire league) does for its worldwide rights.

MLB is going to have to become a lot less popular, as in FOX, ESPN, TBS, etc. offer nothing for national rights and teams that own their own RSN's start losing millions and then can't find anyone willing to pay them for their regional rights.

Cut total attendance by 85% league-wide. Have national viewership on FOX & ESPN decline by at-least 70% average viewership. Have less than 2 million people in the entire world be willing to pay to stream your product, and then they would be in position to "pull a MLS."

Takuto Maruki

Ideal and the real
Dec 13, 2016
Brandon, Manitoba
Yankees, Dodgers, etc..
And therein lies the rub. The Jays are just the most ready example that *most* people on this forum will get, in that they control the entire pipeline, and will not give up that free money unless absolutely needed. And even if the overdue RSN apocalypse comes into Canada like I keep saying it will, ultimately, it won't be enough for Rogers to divest unless a new leadership group decides that they want to divest from sports and media entirely, and return to being strictly a telco.

But the Dodgers, Yankees, hell even others like the Giants are well primed to be the last people standing. In fact, if Ted Leonsis does the actual deed and buys the Nationals outright, he's simply flipping MASN (and therefore, killing the ever present tension between the Nats and the Orioles) and bringing both teams under the Monumental roof.

And that's what is the real stumbling block of any other league going completely under one roof like MLS did. Moreover...

People always overlook *why* MLS was able to put the entire league on Apple -- because only a couple teams got paid anything (and it was peanuts) for regional rights. Coupled with being offered peanuts for national rights. You can then go with a single bidder for worldwide rights.
It should be readily apparent that Lionel Messi, the man, is the one that ultimately benefits the most from the Apple TV deal. And goes to show that the MLS deal is ultimately an outlier, and not the future, of sports broadcasting in North America.

Reactions: Reaser

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
lol, someone in their mid 40’s can figure out how to watch on a phone, like other poster, no idea why you would want to watch on a phone, when I can watch in 4K on a big screen.

Sadly i am watching mlb on my phone. For some reason i cant get my tablet to only skip 10 seconds ahead instead of 30. I watch a lot of sports on my tablet but thats because i can watch at work on my lunch break (i watch 0 sports live unless im at the game)

OK.

not sure how I am supposed to know why another person in their mid 40s would prefer to watch a game on a phone instead of a tv with a reason you will buy.

Id rather watch on a larger screen but my god damn phone wont chromecast the mlb app for some reason.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
Truly wonder if they even finish that deal since the Celtics are broadcasted by NBC Sports Boston my bet would be no and Boston ends up in NESN before 2030

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad