NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I feel like I’m on an island with the Eliasson pick but the agility and mobility look good, he’s very young, aggression is a skill and his timing on hits looks very advanced. I’m really looking forward to seeing how well his reach and mobility translate to an 85’ width. This is definitely a potential home run selection at 39.

Love the Yak, Eliasson and Moore picks.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Comparing Roger and Eliasson is way off the mark. One was based on a glorified 1 week showcase, the other was scouted fully.
My point is you don’t have to draft and wait for third pairing D that like to hit. You find these guys year in year out that can play for your team RIGHT NOW. Not in 5 years.

His skating is fine, people always try & talk like they are experts on skating, when I watch him he gets up & down the ice pretty quickly, he's not Formenton, but he's not Mark Stone either. He's not graceful, he's more likely to run through you than around you although he does have some dangle to his game. Funny when little guys dangle, people get giddy, when a big guy does it they say he won't be able to do that in the NHL & yet we see NHL guys get beat all the time.

They were in a position where there were four defenceman left & while most picked the other guys as better players, I didn't see that & thought they were much closer in talent level than people would give credit for. Yakemchuk had a 30 goal season tying a 10 yr old record in the WHL for defencemen, is that not elite talent? He had a 71 pt season again not bad offensive talent for a defenceman on a terrible offensively challenged team where he had to be the offensive catalyst. And he's not a one trick pony, he hits, he fights, he clears the front of the net & leans on players a lot defensively which is good defensive play wearing out your opponent something smaller players can't do.

Do you think 20 yr olds should be drafting players, guys there own age? Poulin is highly regarded in the NHL or should we be listening to the advise of all the teenaged internet podcasters out there? Is that how we should be running this team by the internet? What are their qualifications for deciding who is an elite skater & who is not?

People seemed to be really happy we signed Poulin & Staois & no more Dorion, it hasn't been one yr & you are already turning on them. I got shit on constantly because people thought I was defending Dorion, now I find myself defending this management team? Who do you want that will satisfy you in management? Keep in mind that it's not just the players who don't want to come to Ottawa but we have already seen a number of coaches don't want to come here either & I suspect in other levels of management.
I turned on the Poulin hiring when it happened. One of the masterminds behind the disastrous 00’s leafs

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
My point is you don’t have to draft and wait for third pairing D that like to hit. You find these guys year in year out that can play for your team RIGHT NOW. Not in 5 years.

I turned on the Poulin hiring when it happened. One of the masterminds behind the disastrous 00’s leafs
Don’t limit a 17 year old kid to 3rd pairing ceiling. He may bust but he may also exceed your expectations.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
There have been disasterous masterminds in the Leaf org since after 1967. Who exactly do you want to manage this team? And do you know if they will come here? Are you also against Green the HC? or Bowness the Assit. GM? Is there anyone in this management org you like?

Reactions: Wondercarrot

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
There have been disasterous masterminds in the Leaf org since after 1967. Who exactly do you want to manage this team? And do you know if they will come here? Are you also against Green the HC? or Bowness the Assit. GM? Is there anyone in this management org you like?
In my book. Hockey front offices are dumb until proven otherwise. Poulin in his experience has not proven otherwise.

Green I’m willing to give a chance. The more I hear about that Vancouver situation the more I give him the benefit of the doubt. And small sample size.

The GMs are still trying to prove me otherwise.

The scouts I’ve seen enough they can go

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
In my book. Hockey front offices are dumb until proven otherwise. Poulin in his experience has not proven otherwise.

Green I’m willing to give a chance. The more I hear about that Vancouver situation the more I give him the benefit of the doubt. And small sample size.

We have the personnel we have, so why not just hope for the best?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

So ... you got nothing?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
No I'm not, I was asking who he would prefer in the front office. I'm a little too old for that any more.
Well Poulin didn’t need to be hired.

But it also doesn’t matter. Like I said. ALL execs are there solely to be fired. What have you done for lately.

Poulin is the only guy I’m like “history tells me he f***ing. Sucks”

• Haha
Reactions: aragorn

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
We spent our last several 2nd rounders taking flyers on towering defencemen who have no skill or IQ. Why no take a flyer on someone with offensove upside for once in f***ing 4 years?

But we already got a Kleven. We don’t need that many more.
I am not really sure how strong this draft class is. Beyond Cellebrini I don't know of anyone notable that everyone was raving about. But then, I'm not deep into this. I think we got a really great defensive prospect and I am pretty happy with the choice. We need to stock the cupboards with forwards, yes. But, we aren't in a rebuild anymore. We're in the phase where we go all out to make the playoffs for a couple-of-nine seasons. We need to trade for assets, because we aren't going to draft anyone to help push us into the playoffs in the next two years. It would have been nice to trade someone like Branny for a few picks, but clearly he's not that great an asset.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
@Sens of Anarchy i take it you didn’t like the draft. Without the sarcasm, which I fully appreciate, what were your main issues ?
I did not know much about the guys into the 4th round and beyond and that was most of our draft wrt to number of picks .. so I can't say I did not like most of it lol.

My expectations is this group would be conservative more risk averse with our top 2 picks in the draft.

At 7 taking a D I said before the draft I'd want the best Defensive D available in that range. I wanted Silayev. I would have been fine with Dickinson or Buium. If I wanted to take a risk there I would go with Parekh .. who I think could be a phenom offensively. So that would put Yakemchuk at the end of my top 6 D list. I think he is a wild card kind of prospect. I also liked a small set of forwards.. 2 of which went ahead Sennecke and Iginla of what I expected.... So I was quite disappointed in how 7 worked out for us.

The 2nd round pick I think is also filled with risk which I would have avoided with a more proven prospect at D or F. There were a few I would have taken. The guy the Sens took was not even on my radar. I never heard of him and as I learned about him .,. his size and physicality stand out but so does where he is developmentally .. so to me its too much risk at that point in the draft for that type of prospect to pan out to be the guy you want in 4-5 years..
I could easily have gone with the players taken at 40, 41,42,44, 45, 54, 55,58,59....

So for 2 picks I was disappointed. The rest I can't or won't evaluate comparatively so .. I'm fine with.

Just my own 2 cents no one else has to agree with.

Reactions: DrEasy

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
I think you've hit on one nickname (Yak). Could see Eli and Moo being the other 2.
I feel like I’m on an island with the Eliasson pick but the agility and mobility look good, he’s very young, aggression is a skill and his timing on hits looks very advanced. I’m really looking forward to seeing how well his reach and mobility translate to an 85’ width. This is definitely a potential home run selection at 39.

Love the Yak, Eliasson and Moore picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $15,750.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 2