NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
That’s not why people are against the Eliasson pick.

Our offensive prospect poople is absolutely dreadful. That last thing we needed was another Ben Roger pick at 39th.
Was this a draft to pick up that type of player? I mean maybe if we choose in the top five. I would have taken Tij Iginla. But after that, I am not really sure what the problem is with choosing a defender.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Was this a draft to pick up that type of player? I mean maybe if we choose in the top five. I would have taken Tij Iginla. But after that, I am not really sure what the problem is with choosing a defender.
We spent our last several 2nd rounders taking flyers on towering defencemen who have no skill or IQ. Why no take a flyer on someone with offensove upside for once in f***ing 4 years?

How about another Kleven?
But we already got a Kleven. We don’t need that many more.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
But we already got a Kleven. We don’t need that many more.
Nobody knows what we'll have by the time these guys are ready, rosters turn over pretty fast. By the time our 2nd and later rounders are ready, it's potentially 4 or 5 years down the road,

You don't draft for today's need, you draft BPA. If they felt a LHD was the best player on their list, then that's who they should be picking.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I don’t know, I haven’t met any of these guys but the scouting staff doesn’t give me a lot of confidence listening to them.
I don’t mind the players we took. Hope they turn out but yeah, wouldn’t be surprised to see the scouting staff get an overhaul.

Thank god SS was able to pull off that Ullmark trade. Or things would look pretty grim round here.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I don't think that we were ever getting an offensive dynamic forward outside of that top pick of ours, so I don't see all the fuss...

We already have 6 capable NHLers up front if we include Pinto and Greig, and we have them for the next several years at least.

Scoring forwards come up in free agency every year, along with many others on the trading block. Guys like Arthur Kaliyev are seemingly a dime a dozen kind of player, yet might score 20-30 goals in a good year if put into the right situation on a team that needs that role filled.

But the point being is that there are only so many spots on a team for elite level scoring forwards...and we aren't really in desperate need of another one, especially while Giroux is still playing at a high level. And they are relatively easy to get if we really do end up starving for goals....

So no, I don't have any concerns myself that if we didn't see any prospects that wowed us, the gamble isn't worth it if we can hit a homerun on a depth roster player.

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
Is he Brad Berry's son? Jets draft pick many moons ago?

I think there will be one. :)
Yes. Brad Berry, from Bashaw AB, drafted 29OA in 1983, and now UND's coach. His son Bauer was drafted today. Given that he's 6'4", I'm not sure how he slipped by the Sens. And since he lasted until the 7th round, he may have inherited the footspeed that kept his dad from becoming an NHL regular.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
The fourth round picks seem great, no issue with those. I just hate how this team has handled the 2nd round on the last 4 years. We’ve missed out on so mcuh great talent because of our size fetish.

Even as great as the Kleven pick was, he was picked because of his size and UND connection. Look at who was picked right after. A guy who we desperately need right now but now, but of course he didn’t fit the profile of the same 2nd rounder we take every year.

burf

Mar 27, 2012
The problem is that they’re working off bad lists. Why is the BPA a potential Tyler Kleven when there’s potential Jason Robertsons still on the board? Why are they so averse to taking swings on potential home run players in round 2? It’s much easier to find a Tyler Kleven than a Jason Robertson in free agency, but the team has wasted second rounders stocking the cupboard with big players with low NHL upside for years.

Reactions: Laphroaig

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The problem is that they’re working off bad lists. Why is the BPA a potential Tyler Kleven when there’s potential Jason Robertsons still on the board? Why are they so averse to taking swings on potential home run players in round 2? It’s much easier to find a Tyler Kleven than a Jason Robertson in free agency, but the team has wasted second rounders stocking the cupboard with big players with low NHL upside for years.

Well, for one, Kleven was brought up simply because of a knee jerk comparison to Roger, I was using a Sens comparable for a sens Draft pick

I'm sure everyone would prefer Jason Robertson, but that's a once in a blue moon situation, when you start your position with why didn't we draft arguably the 5th best player from a draft in the 2nd round, you're coming from an intellectually dishonest position. It would be like me saying maybe Eliasson is the next Chara, sure, it's possible, but that's not being very realistic.

burf

Mar 27, 2012
Well, for one, Kleven was brought up simply because of a knee jerk comparison to Roger, I was using a Sens comparable for a sens Draft pick

I'm sure everyone would prefer Jason Robertson, but that's a once in a blue moon situation, when you start your position with why didn't we draft arguably the 5th best player from a draft in the 2nd round, you're coming from an intellectually dishonest position. It would be like me saying maybe Eliasson is the next Chara, sure, it's possible, but that's not being very realistic.

Ok, in 2021, half this board wanted them to take Stankoven with one of the second rounders. They used the earlier one to draft Ostapchuk, and then traded the later one back to draft Ben Roger. Stankoven went 2 picks before Roger (5 picks after the one we traded back).

They went off the board to draft Ostapchuk, who might be an NHLer but will likely top out as a decent 3rd liner. You can get decent 3rd liners in free agency every year. They went far off the board for Roger, whose upside was, at best, a physical 3rd pairing defenceman. Dallas drafted the guy who even HF posters knew had star potential, and now they’ve got a top 6 player on an ELC.

What are second round picks for if not taking swings on potential top 6 players? Dallas has clearly learned to do this, and now they’ve got 2 potential stars from the second round.

e: heck, go back to 2015 and put Roope Hintz in there too. Drafted 49th overall, but based on his production he was generally seen pre-draft as a potential first rounder, and a lot of people on this board wanted us to draft him. That’s what second rounders should be used on - guys whose production shows significant promise, but for some reason fell to the second round.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ok, in 2021, half this board wanted them to take Stankoven with one of the second rounders. They used the earlier one to draft Ostapchuk, and then traded the later one back to draft Ben Roger. Stankoven went 2 picks before Roger (5 picks after the one we traded back).

They went off the board to draft Ostapchuk, who might be an NHLer but will likely top out as a decent 3rd liner. You can get decent 3rd liners in free agency every year. They went far off the board for Roger, whose upside was, at best, a physical 3rd pairing defenceman. Dallas drafted the guy who even HF posters knew had star potential, and now they’ve got a top 6 player on an ELC.

What are second round picks for if not taking swings on potential top 6 players? Dallas has clearly learned to do this, and now they’ve got 2 potential stars from the second round.

e: heck, go back to 2015 and put Roope Hintz in there too. Drafted 49th overall, but by NHLe metrics he graded in the first half of the first round. That’s what second rounders should be used on - guys whose production shows significant promise, but for some reason fell to the second round.
When HF posters are right about a pick, you never hear the end of it, but never a peep when they are wrong, which happens sooooo much more frequently. That's the thing though, HF doesn't need to worry about the repercussions of missing,

I can't believe we reached on a guy with 3rd liner upside like Pinto when potential stars like Kaliyev, Afanasyev and Brink were on the board...

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Didn't people also lose their minds when we picked Jarventie in the second? There's no pleasing some of you donkeys
I mean, most who were upset was because we never took Stutzle’s friend who went the pick after Jarventie who is now a 50 point NHLer, Jarventie may never be an NHLer

(I was fine with, and high on Jarventie after the pick)

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
I mean, most who were upset was because we never took Stutzle’s friend who went the pick after Jarventie who is now a 50 point NHLer, Jarventie may never be an NHLer

(I was fine with, and high on Jarventie)
Wasn't Jarventie projected to have a higher ceiling at the time, and the prototypical swing for the fence boom or bust type pick?

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Didn't people also lose their minds when we picked Jarventie in the second? There's no pleasing some of you donkeys
Over Paterka? I think they were vindicated. Kleven was a good pick too but he was taken one before Faber.

We skipped on superior players because of size and missed out, and we’ll miss out again. After the Pinto pick (5 years ago), our 2nd rounds have been so frustrating to look back on.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Wasn't Jarventie projected to have a higher ceiling at the time, and the prototypical swing for the fence boom or bust type pick?
Not really no, he was a guy who had tools and you hoped could put it all together. That’s what the Sens drafting is, see tools, hope you can put them together. Lots of the time that looks foolish when you’re passing on guys who are already good, who may not have the tools and size you’re looking for.

Peterka was already showing what he could do, and he was considered a high end prospect sitting ~20th, with a boatload of skill.

Sens went with tools they are hoping they can mold with all of their picks this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad