GDT: 2024 NHL Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Had JBB not burned the bridge with Stammer, we could have had Skinner at 1x3.5 (same agent as 91, probably didn't even wanna talk to JBB and get low alled)

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Guentzel will also be 30 when the season starts. He'll be 36 when this 7 year deal is up. So we're not just having him in his prime.
Yeah... exactly that too. I feel like he was trying to sell us on a used car he paid full price but has 80k miles on it already. It's like, dude... he's going to be 30 by opening night? He's not old and yeah he's better than Stamkos right now and in his prime, but that's going to last 3 years....4 maybe until we are circling the "he's too old" wagon again. Like, what?

Reactions: Coopers Gum

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Girgensons at 850k for 3 years is not that bad as a bottom 6 forward.
Huge add here. We got PRIME Girgensons!

In all reality, solid add. I had no idea he was only 30, he's been around for so long I thought he was like 36-37. Heart and soul competitor that forechecks. @JoVel the Buffalo invasion has commenced.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Low risk signing, but for a guy who's supposed to physically gifted with offensive talent, he doesn't provide a lot of offense and is injured a lot.

Girgenson-Glendening-Chaffee

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Girgensons is a good add for our 4th line and costs us league minimum for 3 years.

Interestingly enough, he's never played a playoff game in his 688 NHL games career (because Buffalo). His style of play should translate very well to the post season.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Lastly, he said Vinik did not play an active role in the negotiations. Very much like with Yzerman, Vinik lets his GM be the GM and trusts him to make the right decisions. Only time I think we've ever seen Vinik get involved was when Marty requested his trade and Vinik tried to walk him back off the ledge.
I'll add that, although it took 3 years to do it, I'm still convinced Mr. Vinik left instruction to buy out Vinny. Which was the final nail in the coffin for me and my emotional attachment to players and I finally embraced the Dark Side of the Business of Hockey. For me, it started when I was absolutely losing my shit over favorites like Ciccone, Myhres, Rudy Po, Darcy Tucker, Zamuner and Andersson were let go. Left wondering what our Japanese Mob Boss' next move was and what duct tape budget Papa Phil could cobble together. And good ol' Art Williams... anyway

Then I got pissed when the lockout broke up our Cup-winning roster. That was easy though. Blamed the League, Bob Goodenow, and anyone not named Jay Feaster and Bill Davidson. Then everything else came in small stages till the Clown Show took over. That era jaded me and, like I said before, the Vinny buyout did it for me.

Doesn't mean I don't like what's happened, today or 11 years past. But I no longer go into frothing bits of throwing projectiles or checking the industrial integrity of my shower rod's weight-to-gravity ratio either

Last edited:
Reactions: gn2007

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Are we somehow in better position next year?
1719879224166.png

Bottom 6 is still soft and slow.
Defenseman is marginal improvement
Offense is worse now Stamkos and Dulcair were swapped out for Geuntzel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad