NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I am not sure how you classify Sennecke as a reach in any meaningful way. 4 out of 10 scouts gave him a top ten ranking.

When doing a consensus ranking, players can be separated by mere decimal points.
You might have scores of 7.1, 7.4 and 7.8 that become represented as 7, 8, 9. You can have several players sperated by a couple of whole numbers. I remember I did a consensus ranking one year and I had like 10 guys with ranking between 7 and 9.

Boucher was a reach but anybody in the top 14 of this draft is completely within limits, even the guys I don't like.

Of that group of players - Buium, Parekh, Helenius, Iginla and Sennecke - I think there's a good chance Sennecke goes first.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Are you guys more likely to pick a RD or a forward?
Nobody other than the Senators could answer that Q at this time.

Our current needs will likely not affect the player we choose in the draft.

Our current list of prospects is not good so we need help in all positions.

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
Of that group of players - Buium, Parekh, Helenius, Iginla and Sennecke - I think there's a good chance Sennecke goes first.
So do I. Maybe Buium is the other contender.

There is even some noise about Anaheim liking Sennecke.

I would prefer we stay away from Iginla. I don't think assets like him have a ton of value. I don't like his goal to assist ratio. It is often an indication of a lack of hockey sense. Yes he may score thirty, but will have 20 something assists. Sennecke, a play driving power forward, would be a nice get at 7, although there is some risk there.

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
He reminds me a lot of Yzerman.
And Cheveldayoff. Patient, never panics, better to walk away from a bad deal. The anti-Dorion.

Dorion is a beta that got walked over by the alpha GMs. They would just wait until Panicky Pete gave in, and he did every time.

Staios seems like a sigma. Sigmas usually destroy alphas, as they hide their intentions, and are usually much smarter than the alpha. Alphas are sheer force, the typical dumb jock, that is easy to outsmart if you're cunning. Alphas think sigmas are betas because they are soft spoken and don't have the boisterous alpha bravado. Sigmas want alphas to underestimate them this way. But alphas are merely falling into the sigma's trap who outmarts them, and is in control of their emotions and the situation.

Don't take this too seriously. Most people don't usually fit into these alpha, beta, sigma boxes, or they change from role to another depending on the situation. I'm massively generalizing, but it's fun in a cartoony way.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I’ve previously written about this but I know many are focused on adding another D but we need wingers as well. Giroux won’t last forever and we don’t have any top 6 W after Brady and Bath unless you think Norris shifts to the wing with the emergence of Greig and Pinto. (But can we count on Norris)?

LW Iginla and RW Sennekke are likely really being looked at hard by the Sens brass

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I’ve previously written about this but I know many are focused on adding another D but we need wingers as well. Giroux won’t last forever and we don’t have any top 6 W after Brady and Bath unless you think Norris shifts to the wing with the emergence of Greig and Pinto. (But can we count on Norris)?

LW Iginla and RW Sennekke are likely really being looked at hard by the Sens brass
I've been mostly about the D in this draft .. If Silayev falls... I would take him in a second... but with Dickinson, Buium, Parekh (all 3 I would be very good with, all are different)
I would have zero issues with Sennecke or Iginla. So that's 5 players 4 will likely be available , maybe all 5) .

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012

I believe a wing like Iginla is a readily available asset on the market. What do you think his upside is? Sennecke is the better option. There is risk, but you get a power forward line driver.

h2

Mar 26, 2002

Iginla might be a C going forward as well. Also something to consider.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I've been mostly about the D in this draft .. If Silayev falls... I would take him in a second... but with Dickinson, Buium, Parekh (all 3 I would be very good with, all are different)
I would have zero issues with Sennecke or Iginla. So that's 5 players 4 will likely be available , maybe all 5) .

I know Don Boyd tends to favour forwards

Iginla might be a C going forward as well. Also something to consider.

Provides options to play both. It’s a positive no doubt

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
On Bob's / TSN's top 100 list there are several decent picks in that 36-46 range

36. Letourneau
37. Griden
38., Pulkkinen
39. Massé
40. Pettersson
41. Freij
42. Wallenius
43. Stiga
44. Eriksson
46. Miettinen

I like 50. Shuravin as well. 51 is Kleber so still a good group there. Even Gill at 53 and Danford at 54 would be fine picks at 39...

Hopefully the Sens can move up into the 3rd anyway with a couple of 4ths
That Stiga kid is highly underrated... someone gonna nab him late first or early second

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014

Yeah exactly. Been saying this to my buddies. Our only surefire top 6 wingers who aren't 30+ are Tkachuk/Batheron. We don't have anyone in the pipeline I would consider a high chance of being a top 6 either.

Reactions: DJB

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
So do I. Maybe Buium is the other contender.

There is even some noise about Anaheim liking Sennecke.

I would prefer we stay away from Iginla. I don't think assets like him have a ton of value. I don't like his goal to assist ratio. It is often an indication of a lack of hockey sense. Yes he may score thirty, but will have 20 something assists. Sennecke, a play driving power forward, would be a nice get at 7, although there is some risk there.

I lean Sennecke over Iginla, in part because the playmaking RW is something we're going to need more than a LW shooter, especially if you're projecting Pinto (who's not a great distributor) as your 2C and potentially moving the left-shot Norris to the wing.

That said, I don't see hockey sense issues with Iginla. He looks like a smart and crafty player, he just might not have high-end vision with the puck. I don't see tunnel vision.

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
I lean Sennecke over Iginla, in part because the playmaking RW is something we're going to need more than a LW shooter, especially if you're projecting Pinto (who's not a great distributor) as your 2C and potentially moving the left-shot Norris to the wing.

That said, I don't see hockey sense issues with Iginla. He looks like a smart and crafty player, he just might not have high-end vision with the puck.
He is not a creative player. He likes to defer puck handling responsibilities. He is fast twitch athlete that creates speration, but I don't think he sees the ice particularly well.

I remember arguing with people that Tkachuk was a 70 point a player and people were literally freaking out at the time. I thought Zadina was completely overrated. I trust my instincts.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
I’m all for best player available usually, but a LHD is far from what the team needs right now unless they can play the right side.

Love him or hate him, Chabot is likely a Senator for the long haul. Modified NMC kicking in, and $38M owed over the next 4 years. Sanderson is untouchable.

I’m not opposed to a forward at all.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
He is not a creative player. He likes to defer puck handling responsibilities. He is fast twitch athlete that creates speration, but I don't think he sees the ice particularly well.

I remember arguing with people that Tkachuk was a 70 point a player and people were literally freaking out at the time. I thought Zadina was completely overrated. I trust my instincts.

Don't know what the Tkachuk story has to do with this, but okay.

I wouldn't take Iginla as high as 7 (I have him slightly lower), so I'm not arguing for the player here. But passing vision is only an aspect of overall hockey sense, and your question about hockey sense was what I was responding to in your original post. He can be an intelligent player and not have great vision with the puck on his stick. Shane Pinto would be an example of that - very smart player, not a great playmaker.

Last edited:

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Okay we will see. Do you mean a point of game player? I think that is way off on Iginla.

It’s however you want to define first line upside player .

I don’t have the numbers in front of me to tell you how many PPG wingers there were last year . I don’t think you automatically need to be a PPG player to have first line upside .

In terms of Iginla I’d be shocked if he isn’t at least at minimum a 2nd line winger. His work ethic, character are off the charts and adding in that shot it’s tough to pass up.

Do you wish he was a little more crafty? Or a little more fleet of foot? Sure but no prospect is perfect and im confident he’s going to be a player .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad