NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Russian prospects don't have this option though. Since there is no NHL/KHL transfer agreement, when a team drafts a Russian prospect they own their rights indefinitely.

Needs to be something put in place to mitigate the NCAA loophole though.

Its absolutely ridiculous that the NCAA loophole exists in the first place. If you get drafted by a team, and refuse to sign your ELC, then said team owns your rights whenever you decide you want to play NHL hockey.

Simple as that.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Here's an in depth podcast discussing draft eligible prospects and who makes sense for Ottawa!.

Is this the same guy they had in 2020 who was raving about Stutzle potentially being the best player from that draft?

This is also my favorite Sens podcast. It’s a shame they don’t release episodes more consistently.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He has dropped on a lot of boards, Craig button had him dropped also. Not sure if he asks scouts like Mackenzie does but seems like everyone is kind of pushing his stock down to a point where maybe we can squeeze in there and pull him out. I honestly believe there's a chance he could slip to us.
Should run up there if he does

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Starting to like Julius Miettenen at 25. 6'3 201.. C/LW .. High IQ . High End Motor. Two way, hard worker,

Jason Bukala - Sportsnet - June 11th: "Miettinen brings a combination of size, power and skill. He’s a solid skater in open ice and a shooter on the power play. He gives opponents all they can handle along the boards and net front in the offensive zone."

Steven Ellis - Daily Faceoff - May 28th: "He’s big at 6-foot-3 and 207 pounds, and he’s not afraid to use his frame any time he can. His season started slowly, but once he got more comfortable in his new environment, he started to really look good."

Luke Sweeney - Dobber Prospects - Apr. 20th: "Julius Miettinen is a 6’3? two-way forward who stands out for his forechecking, playmaking, and net-front positioning. Miettinen’s strong stick-work and body positioning make him adept in winning back pucks off dump-ins and extended in-zone sequences."

“Even in the beginning when he wasn’t scoring a lot, he was still really effective for us without the puck and defending,” Silvertips assistant coach Mike Field said. “The second half of the year he was a different player.”

Miettinen ended up leading all WHL rookies with 585 faceoff wins and closed out the 2023-24 regular season with 31 goals and 36 assists for 67 points and a +27 rating in 66 contests.

Forty of those points (19 goals, 21 assists) came in his final 29 games, highlighted by a 10-game point streak to close out the campaign.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Hockeypropsects was wrong about Cutter Gauthier and they will be proven to be wrong about Carter Yakemchuk.

Their rankings are equal parts hits and misses and this is a big miss. This from a long-time subsriber.

His analysis of his passing and not making players better around him was absurd. It was actually stupid.

For a palate cleanser, I will leave with this from Mckeen's:

I will say this again. If you dropped a Parekh or Dickinson on Yakemchuk's team, I don't think they could have done what he did and played as effective. I don't think people realize how bad his team was and how his "bad decision" making were often the result of him being surrounded by a young and untalented team. Yes he may have opted for the the ill-advised dangle or tried to do too much or waste his gas tank at the offensive end , but that is only way they were going to win or even generate offense.

If you give him structure and talent to work with, and give him time to development his skating, he is going to be a Fing unicorn.

I see too much risk in his profile to consider him at seven. That doesn't mean he can't or won't be good, but I see real bust potential, too.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Reactions: Alex1234 and DJB

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

They have us taking Dickinson or Buium at 7 and Surin or Parascak at 25 .

Would be a hell of a 1st round if we get a combination of those players.

The earliest they have Sennecke going is 14; My guess is top 10.

I'll never understand why they combine these into a single article, but anyway...

There's a standard top five emerging across mock drafts at this point - Celebrini, Levshunov, Silayev, Lindstrom and Deminov, in some order.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yeah if Philly are hoping to make the trade with us for Demidov at 7 the trade won’t be happening, unless Demidov pulls the same as Mitchkov last year and tells teams he won’t be reporting to them.

He’s by a very large margin the 2nd best player in the draft

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Is this the same guy they had in 2020 who was raving about Stutzle potentially being the best player from that draft?

This is also my favorite Sens podcast. It’s a shame they don’t release episodes more consistently.
Interesting podcast.

The top 4 are expected to be: Celebrini, Silayev, Lindstrom & Demidov.

The next 4 are: Buium, Iginlov, Levshunov & Dickinson.

I would be happy with any one of those picks at #7.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Interesting podcast.

The top 4 are expected to be: Celebrini, Silayev, Lindstrom & Demidov.

The next 4 are: Buium, Iginlov, Levshunov & Dickinson.

I would be happy with any one of those picks at #7.

He included Levshunov in his group of guys who won't be there at seven (Celebrini, Silayev, Lindstrom, Demidov and Levshunov). His service is just lower on Levshunov, so he was mentioned later.

Reactions: Cosmix and Icelevel

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He included Levshunov in his group of guys who won't be there at seven (Celebrini, Silayev, Lindstrom, Demidov and Levshunov). His service is just lower on Levshunov, so he was mentioned later.
He also seemed very high on Buium and thought he might go top 4 due to his high level ability to process his options at high speed in various game situations (high hockey IQ + ability).

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Like it’s been said earlier, there is more risk that your college bound prospect not sign with you then your russian prospect.

Demidov being listed at 6 foot this week will also dispel most of the questions about his size. He ain’t getting past 5.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Hockeypropsects was wrong about Cutter Gauthier and they will be proven to be wrong about Carter Yakemchuk.

Their rankings are equal parts hits and misses and this is a big miss. This from a long-time subsriber.

His analysis of his passing and not making players better around him was absurd. It was actually stupid.

For a palate cleanser, I will leave with this from Mckeen's:

I will say this again. If you dropped a Parekh or Dickinson on Yakemchuk's team, I don't think they could have done what he did and played as effective. I don't think people realize how bad his team was and how his "bad decision" making were often the result of him being surrounded by a young and untalented team. Yes he may have opted for the the ill-advised dangle or tried to do too much or waste his gas tank at the offensive end , but that is only way they were going to win or even generate offense.

If you give him structure and talent to work with, and give him time to development his skating, he is going to be a Fing unicorn.
Please explain how you believe their rankings were wrong about Cutter Gauthier... Wrong how?

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Can someone explain why they would take Dickinson ahead of Silayev?

I like Dickenson but doesn’t Silayev kind of do everything Dickinson can do but also he’s way bigger?
I don’t think either of them will be relied on for a lot of offence.
GMs and staff are understandably anxious about picking a guy they have never seen live

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad