NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I’m flip flop flippin

I’m getting closer to being on the dickinson/buium train.

Assuming levshunov and silayev are gone.
Then keep fingers crossed that elick or emery is available at 25.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Didn’t we somewhat attempt to do that with Boucher ?
I don’t know, I think they projected out a player they thought would be the best pick at that spot. Certainly not all picks pan out, though Boucher still has runway.

But my point is more that I hope the scouts are projecting out when making lists, not looking at who is the best player right now, against competition that isn’t remotely similar in caliber to where you want them to end up playing.

That could mean that a guy consensus ranked at 15 may be the guys our scouts think will be the biggest impact player down the road. That could be when the mental side of things weigh in.

That’s probably what they do anyways, but just watching the playoffs it’s painfully clear that the regular season and layoffs are very different and certain guys excel while other struggle. I guess the counter argument would be that we have to get there first.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I am never a fan of moving back but given there is a lot of smoke around it this year it’s worth talking about. If there was ever a year to do so this might be it with all the uncertainty in the top 10.

That being said even if we only move back 2 spots I want a 2nd round pick. Don’t waste my time offering a 3rd I’d rather trust my scouts and stick and pick the BPA.

This team still lacks talent

The market has kind of been set with Chicago giving up a 2nd to move up two spots from 20 to 18.

It was a late 2nd but if we're moving down 2 spots in the top 10 we'd definitely need Calgary's 2nd (42nd) + more. Maybe 28th OVR would be the price.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The market has kind of been set with Chicago giving up a 2nd to move up two spots from 20 to 18.

It was a late 2nd but if we're moving down 2 spots in the top 10 we'd definitely need Calgary's 2nd (42nd) + more. Maybe 28th OVR would be the price.
Also moved up in the 2nd as well.

61st overall to move up 2 spots in the 1st and 4 spots in the 2nd.

The timing of the trade is beyond bizarre

Reactions: DrEasy and DJB

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I don’t know, I think they projected out a player they thought would be the best pick at that spot. Certainly not all picks pan out, though Boucher still has runway.

But my point is more that I hope the scouts are projecting out when making lists, not looking at who is the best player right now, against competition that isn’t remotely similar in caliber to where you want them to end up playing.

That could mean that a guy consensus ranked at 15 may be the guys our scouts think will be the biggest impact player down the road. That could be when the mental side of things weigh in.

That’s probably what they do anyways, but just watching the playoffs it’s painfully clear that the regular season and layoffs are very different and certain guys excel while other struggle. I guess the counter argument would be that we have to get there first.
Another issue that year there was no live viewing, and a lot of players weren’t even able to play. Still a reach though.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Moving back from as high as 7 is always difficult because even moving back two picks could drop you multiple tiers depending on how high your guys internally. Even if your guy is ranked 10th-15th on public list, there is no guarantee someone won't jump you. It's part of why every year when a team selects a player who the public perceives to be off the board, the public does not understand why they could not move back (Seider, Reinbacher, Boucher, Kotkaniemi, etc).

Not saying all those guys were technically off the board, only that they were taken above their public consensus so fans figured the team should have moved back.

It wouldn't surprise me if we do have Iginla as a possible pick at 7, but we don't see him as a tier above who we would get at 9 (depending on how it shakes out), so we're going to try and extort Calgary, who simply can't go back to their fan base or ownership with the idea that they had Iginla available to them but decided not to do the trade.

It's a lot easier to move back from 18 to 20 than 7 to 9. The Flames have 28, 41, and 62. In 2015, Toronto asked for 34, 38, and 58 to move down from 4 to 8. If Iginla is on the board, either 28 and we send something like a future 2nd or 3rd their way, or 41+62. It has to be high enough that it's worth doing, but reasonable enough that they simply can't go back to their ownership and say they failed to acquire what would have been the most marketable player to come through their team in a very long time because they didn't want to give up a few 2nd rounders.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Draft prediciton

1. Celebrini
2. Lindstrom
3. Demidov
4. Iginla
5. Levshunov
6. Buuin
7. Pareksh

Reactions: BigRig4

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Wheeler just put out a scout poll for whatever it's worth

Asked who the top D's were, Levshunov witha majority of 1st placve votes, Yakemchuk with a majority of 6th place votes. Only D to get votes as 6th best were Yak and Dickinson. Only ones to get 1st were Levshunov, Silayev and Parekh

I knew that Yakemchuk struggled with the on ice testing in Moncton, which seems to have carried over to the combine from all we are hearing; but I did not realize how poor he did. He finished 33rd out of the 35 guys in attendance, that's very concerning.

Likewise concern with Dickinson, for different reasons, he was probably the best at the on ice testing, but I'm not sure scouts see much more than a minute munching guy who can put up 20-25 points in the NHL,

Pronman is ALL IN on his Yakemchuk hype, has no issues with any part of his game and thinks any part being critiqued is nitpicking ie. skating and defending

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Also moved up in the 2nd as well.

61st overall to move up 2 spots in the 1st and 4 spots in the 2nd.

The timing of the trade is beyond bizarre
They must have very specific tiers and got ahead of it. I dont mind it for them, they have lots of picks they improved both positions. They got more than hale suggest yes you are correct.

Reactions: BondraTime

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Asked who the top D's were, Levshunov witha majority of 1st placve votes, Yakemchuk with a majority of 6th place votes. Only D to get votes as 6th best were Yak and Dickinson. Only ones to get 1st were Levshunov, Silayev and Parekh

I knew that Yakemchuk struggled with the on ice testing in Moncton, which seems to have carried over to the combine from all we are hearing; but I did not realize how poor he did. He finished 33rd out of the 35 guys in attendance, that's very concerning.

Likewise concern with Dickinson, for different reasons, he was probaly the best at the on ice testing, but I'm not sure scouts see much more than a minute munching guy who can put up 20-25 points in the NHL,

Pronman is ALL IN on his Yakemchuk hype, has no issues with any part of his game and thinks any part being critiqued is nitpicking ie. skating and defending

I mean dont you think that might be an indicator on Yakemchuck's upside? He is that good with having alot of physical development left to go? Being good in the gym can be taught, being strong defensively also can be taught. Both those areas of his game should improve through coaching, development and growth. A big body like that typically develops later on. I find Wheeler's not the best at projecting players that have longer development curves. He always loves polished guys (small guys who play well against their pier group) but thats for pro scouting not amateur. To project prospects you typically look at the upside and what they can improve on through work rate and growth. The natural talent that yakemchuk has with some of his faults make me think his upside is enormous. But he is probably on alot longer development curve which you have to have a patient organization and fanbase to draft someone like him.

Like I have said over and over again Levshunov is going 2nd. He's a lock. Its the order of the next 5 that I dont think anyone knows. Every team probably has a different list.

I think Buium and Yakemchuk are at completely opposite ends of the spectrum. I think you know what you are getting from Buium he is a very safe pick. He is a lock to be a top 3 D man relatively soon. He is an undersized polished lefty. Where Yakemchuck is a big righty who has some kinks to work out but you cant teach what he has. Yakemchuk might end up flourishing in 5 to 6 years with a different organization if whoever drafts him doesnt have the patience or a good dev program. I personally have patience, if Ottawa can trade down to 9 and still get one of the D men I think they should do it.

Reactions: Agent Zub

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I knew that Yakemchuk struggled with the on ice testing in Moncton, which seems to have carried over to the combine from all we are hearing; but I did not realize how poor he did, you could only really tell who was doing well without checking to see the end results overall. He finished 33rd out of the 35 guys in attendance, that's very concerning.

Likewise concern with Dickinson, for different reasons, he was probaly the best at the on ice testing, but I'm not sure scouts see much more than a minute munching guy who can put up 20-25 points in the NHL,

Dickinson is middle of the road .. but has very good physical tools. He is good offensively but not a star ,, maybe a notch better defensively but not a stud ,
IQ wise its the same .. middle of the road.. not scary not a star. If you want star quality he drops off. 2nd pair. Steady, Reliable I think is where he ends up. His skating will help him stay out of too much trouble.

Yakemchuk has real concerns even with his offense, size and physicality.

Parekh has that star quality to be ranked higher by many individual scouts but does he go higher?

Reactions: PlayOn and DrEasy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Dickinson is middle of the road .. but has very good physical tools. He is good offensively but not a star ,, maybe a notch better defensively but not a stud ,
IQ wise its the same .. middle of the road.. not scary not a star. If you want star quality he drops off. 2nd pair. Steady, Reliable I think is where he ends up. His skating will help him stay out of too much trouble.

Yakemchuk has real concerns even with his offense, size and physicality.

Parekh has that star quality to be ranked higher by many individual scouts but does he go higher?
Real concerns? All I have seen is he needs to develop his strength and his reads defensively. Which will improve if he gets stronger/faster/grows into his body and has more coaching/reps. He's very raw but his natural gifts seem pretty elite. His shot, hands, offensive IQ, size and willingness to engage physically just cant be taught.

This is where the interview and the depth an organization researches a prospect really matters. Does Yakemchuk have a good attitude? Is he willing to do what it takes to get better. What type of person is he whats his family situation like. All stuff we dont know. But to me if he checks those boxes he has to be one of the top players available. If not then he is risky.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Assuming both are available would you take Catton over Silayev?
I would not, I wouldnt even consider it.

Eh okay if Silayev is available then no. I'd take Catton over any Dman not named Silayev and Levshunov though.
Really? Wow. I would not take him over any of the top 7 d men. Undersized scorer, super risky to me he has to be an 80 + point forward to be a difference maker on a contender. The easiest asset to add in hockey and typically the least impactful in the playoffs. Is his skating and motor elite enough? Can his body handle a long season. I dunno I wouldnt build my team that way.

Draft small and you will be small. Small teams dont win in the playoffs. Heavy hockey wins. It always has and always will.

Reactions: DJB

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I mean dont you think that might be an indicator on Yakemchuck's upside? He is that good with having alot of physical development left to go? Being good in the gym can be taught, being strong defensively also can be taught. Both those areas of his game should improve through coaching, development and growth. A big body like that typically develops later on. I find Wheeler's not the best at projecting players that have longer development curves. He always loves polished guys (small guys who play well against their pier group) but thats for pro scouting not amateur. To project prospects you typically look at the upside and what they can improve on through work rate and growth. The natural talent that yakemchuk has with some of his faults make me think his upside is enormous. But he is probably on alot longer development curve which you have to have a patient organization and fanbase to draft someone like him.

Like I have said over and over again Levshunov is going 2nd. He's a lock. Its the order of the next 5 that I dont think anyone knows. Every team probably has a different list.

I think Buium and Yakemchuk are at completely opposite ends of the spectrum. I think you know what you are getting from Buium he is a very safe pick. He is a lock to be a top 3 D man relatively soon. He is an undersized polished lefty. Where Yakemchuck is a big righty who has some kinks to work out but you cant teach what he has. Yakemchuk might end up flourishing in 5 to 6 years with a different organization if whoever drafts him doesnt have the patience or a good dev program. I personally have patience, if Ottawa can trade down to 9 and still get one of the D men I think they should do it.
Scouts seem to be worried about him not being athletic, that was a worry all year and made even more so at the combine. The report out of the combine is that teams are extremely worried about it, whcih hampers what a guy can develop into even with all the patience in the world. That's concerning for a guy jumping to pro. He had a very poor combine with interviews and tersting

Wheeler definitely isn't the best at projecting guys, I'd never take what he's saying and evaluating himself at face value

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I would not, I wouldnt even consider it.

Really? Wow. I would not take him over any of the top 7 d men. Undersized scorer, super risky to me he has to be an 80 + point forward to be a difference maker on a contender. The easiest asset to add in hockey and typically the least impactful in the playoffs. Is his skating and motor elite enough? Can his body handle a long season. I dunno I wouldnt build my team that way.

Draft small and you will be small. Small teams dont win in the playoffs. Heavy hockey wins. It always has and always will.
It's not a matter of being small, it's a matter of being smart, strong on the forecheck (FOr a winger)/strong in the NZ and defensively (If centre). Catton is an exceptionally skilled and smart player. There have been many NHL players with femboy esque bodies that have succeeded especially since we have the personnel to help him. I will say I prefer Iginla at 7th anyways, but Catton is something I'm also happy with.

Reactions: Dionysus

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Real concerns? All I have seen is he needs to develop his strength and his reads defensively. Which will improve if he gets stronger/faster/grows into his body and has more coaching/reps. He's very raw but his natural gifts seem pretty elite. His shot, hands, offensive IQ, size and willingness to engage physically just cant be taught.

This is where the interview and the depth an organization researches a prospect really matters. Does Yakemchuk have a good attitude? Is he willing to do what it takes to get better. What type of person is he whats his family situation like. All stuff we dont know. But to me if he checks those boxes he has to be one of the top players available. If not then he is risky.
I won't go into detail but HockeyProspect Blackbook highlighted concerns with his IQ, Skating and Defense. If you haven't got it .. I'd recommend it. Its certainly not the only service that have identified these concerns... To me real concerns are when IQ and Skating are both low points on the profile.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I won't go into detail but HockeyProspect Blackbook highlighted concerns with his IQ, Skating and Defense. If you haven't got it .. I'd recommend it. Its certainly not the only service that have identified these concerns... To me real concerns are when IQ and Skating are both low points on the profile.
But his edges are really good. Skating for a big clunky 18 year old that just needs to get stronger isnt an issue to me. His offensive IQ is elite. Not his defensive, so that to me means he isnt smart or capable of seeing the ice thats a development and coaching issue.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
But his edges are really good. Skating for a big clunky 18 year old that just needs to get stronger isnt an issue to me. His offensive IQ is elite. Not his defensive, so that to me means he isnt smart or capable of seeing the ice thats a development and coaching issue.
How often does skating actually improve more than a marginal amount between draft day and when they're in the NHL though?

Reactions: Alex1234

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He has some really good traits ... I think he is typically ranked appropriately just outside the top 10. He can play offense and be at least a PP2 player. He is mean and physical. Has good size. Is a Right shot. Those traits could get him picked inside the top 10.

He is 2 weeks away from being in last year's draft .. another factor for me when ranking the 6 D.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

I definitely want 9th + 28th overall to move out of the number 7 spot.

Moving closer to the end of the tier, especially when we're talking the top 10 range, is a significant drop in quality. The difference between pick 7 and 9 is a helluva lot bigger than the difference between 18 and 20.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad