HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Low risk.............high reward.
2 years and we keep him, or he is gone....
Let MSL work his magic, train the snot out of him, maybe have him drop 5 lbs, put a sports psych on him, and let's see what we have. Meanwhile, let Gallagher ply his trade on Cbus 4th line. :skeptic:
Edit: also, why is he injured so much? Can he contribute to the same level offensively while leaving himself less vulnerable to debilitating contact? Can that be tweaked in his mid-20s? This could be another Adam Nicholas project. My take is yes: give up a few high-risk shots in the slot, rolling off checks, in order to play a full season, and top out at 35-40 goals.

Last edited:
Reactions: BLONG7

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

DO

SOMETHING

KENT

images

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Dvorak makes sense there, and frees up a space for a young centre (Beck?) if one is ready.

I feel like we have the luxury of too many pieces right now, I think we could easily also move two of Struble/Harris/Barron and then eventually one of Savard/Matheson and continue to build.

We need to turn quantity into quality and Laine

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Yzerman is doing a hilarious job building that D.

Signs Chiarot and Holl to long-term deals, trades for a washed up Petry then gives up a 2nd to trade a D who played the 3rd most minutes for them last year while making a respectable $3.4M.
as I said when Det named Stevie Y GM, let’s see him be this elite GM without being handed two generational talents + benefit of tax free market….

This is why there is no such thing as elite GMs, all NHL GMs are within a small bandwidth - the difference of good vs not so good is impacted by market (tax, weather, anonymity) + draft cuvée luck

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Let MSL work his magic, train the snot out of him, maybe have him drop 5 lbs, put a sports psych on him, and let's see what we have. Meanwhile, let Gallagher ply his trade on Cbus 4th line. :skeptic:
Edit: also, why is he injured so much? Can he contribute to the same level offensively while leaving himself less vulnerable to debilitating contact? Can that be tweaked in his mid-20s? This could be another Adam Nicholas project. My take is yes: give up a few high-risk shots in the slot, rolling off checks, in order to play a full season, and top out at 35-40 goals.
It's been a long long time since the habs gambled on such a big time offensive player. I would think Kovalev was the last one we took a huge gamble on...........
Not saying they are similar players, just that Laine can be a very calculated risk. I guess the asking price is The Big issue.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
as I said when Det named Stevie Y GM, let’s see him be this elite GM without being handed two generational talents + benefit of tax free market….

This is why there is no such thing as elite GMs, all NHL GMs are within a small bandwidth - the difference of good vs not so good is impacted by market (tax, weather, anonymity) + draft cuvée luck
I agree those factors heavily impact things, but there are clearly more proactive and creative asset managers and cap experts who consistently do the best with what they have. I think I would say instead that Elite GMs do exist, but even they can only do so much when impacted by variables and outside circumstances.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I agree those factors heavily impact things, but there are clearly more proactive and creative asset managers and cap experts who consistently do the best with what they have. I think I would say instead that Elite GMs do exist, but even they can only do so much when impacted by variables and outside circumstances.
Simply making the entry draft for 20+ year olds again would level the playing field from many of the uncontrollable variables & highlight / expose the best vs not best GMs IMO

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I seriously doubt we see a trade before Chicago makes their pick on draft day. I'd bet Hughes has a number of different scenarios lined up and is honestly just waiting to see which avenue he's going to take based on what player he gets in the top 5.

Don't hold your breath for a trade before draft day.
You mean he's gonna trade the pick or will wait to see if he gets a def or a forward?

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
You mean he's gonna trade the pick or will wait to see if he gets a def or a forward?

I meant I think he's going to wait to see if he gets Demidov/Lindstrom or ends up taking a defenseman because they're both gone. I think that likely has a lot to do with what path the team takes in terms of trades and free agency.

I think there's an outside chance that Hughes tries to swap picks with Anaheim to either get the forward he prefers, or if Chicago does take Demidov, at least try and secure Lindstrom before CBJ can pick him. That's the only way I see him trading #5.

I think any trade for a young top 6 winger or a trade up from #26 is going to take the #26 in a package to do so, and there's a good chance it could also include one of our defense prospects. I think he'd rather have a better idea of who he's getting in the top 5 before trading those assets. If they do end up taking a defenseman I think exactly which defenseman hey take could have a lot to do with who they end up trading.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
I meant I think he's going to wait to see if he gets Demidov/Lindstrom or ends up taking a defenseman because they're both gone. I think that likely has a lot to do with what path the team takes in terms of trades and free agency.

I think there's an outside chance that Hughes tries to swap picks with Anaheim to either get the forward he prefers, or if Chicago does take Demidov, at least try and secure Lindstrom before CBJ can pick him. That's the only way I see him trading #5.

I think any trade for a young top 6 winger or a trade up from #26 is going to take the #26 in a package to do so, and there's a good chance it could also include one of our defense prospects. I think he'd rather have a better idea of who he's getting in the top 5 before trading those assets. If they do end up taking a defenseman I think exactly which defenseman hey take could have a lot to do with who they end up trading.
I can see a scenario where they trade down from 5 if Demidov and Lindstrom are gone. Specifically with Calgary at 9, if they're motivated enough to get Iginla.
At 9, the Habs would be assured of getting one of Silayev, Buium, Dickinson or Sennecke. Or could use the pick to get immediate help. I'm thinking of Rutger McG here.

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
I can see a scenario where they trade down from 5 if Demidov and Lindstrom are gone. Specifically with Calgary at 9, if they're motivated enough to get Iginla.
At 9, the Habs would be assured of getting one of Silayev, Buium, Dickinson or Sennecke. Or could use the pick to get immediate help. I'm thinking of Rutger McG here.
No way Montreal uses any pick in the top 15 for McGroaty. If Montreal were to trade down a few spots, I'd hope it was for the assets to trade for another top ~12ish pick. Montreal coming out of this draft with two high end potential players, preferably both forward, is the hope. Giving up the possibility for even one for the cast off whiny player from another franchise is silly.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
No way Montreal uses any pick in the top 15 for McGroaty. If Montreal were to trade down a few spots, I'd hope it was for the assets to trade for another top ~12ish pick. Montreal coming out of this draft with two high end potential players, preferably both forward, is the hope. Giving up the possibility for even one for the cast off whiny player from another franchise is silly.
Yeah, maybe 9 is a bit early for him. Doesn't have to be 1 for 1 either.
The thing is, they'll be a lot of teams after him and i was afraid of NJ at 10 and Buffalo at 11 that are looking for players to help them now.
He was a 14th OA pick and i don't think he lost value, but maybe he wouldn't be 14 in this year's draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad