NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Just speculating but we've seen a number of these flashy offensive D who are maybe undersized have some pretty big impacts lately (Makar, Hughes, Fox). It's a copy cat league and maybe teams are getting more comfortable with that kind of player, given how big the payoff can be if they hit their ceiling.

Hughes and Fox really struggled these playoffs. If anything I’d say any Dman 6’00 and under who is less than 200 pounds will slip at the draft.

NHL will be returning to the 6’2 210+ pound Dman.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
He got an unnecessary 5 minute major and Canada scored twice.

Yes...I was just cruising through his thread in the prospects board. I knew about the swastika picture, but that other stuff....yikes. And that hit in a gold medal game is outright stupid. Not the kind of player you can trust on the ice in the last few minutes of a game. That alone is enough to pass on him.

Being cool under pressure and being able to handle yourself in difficult times...that's a hard skill to master if you don't already have something good going on between the ears. I don't have high hopes of the kid turning that around all that much.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yes...I was just cruising through his thread in the prospects board. I knew about the swastika picture, but that other stuff....yikes. And that hit in a gold medal game is outright stupid. Not the kind of player you can trust on the ice in the last few minutes of a game. That alone is enough to pass on him.

Being cool under pressure and being able to handle yourself in difficult times...that's a hard skill to master if you don't already have something good going on between the ears. I don't have high hopes of the kid turning that around all that much.
I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t end up one of the best picks in the draft down the road. This isn’t a Ho-Sang type guy, IMO. I don’t think his personality or attitude are going to keep him from being the kind of player he can be. He has baggage, and his draft stock has been hit very deservedly for it. The player on the ice is much better than where he will be selected.

Someone is going to get a top 5/10 guy much later than they should.

Getzlaf fell in 2003 because of concerns about his personality, attitude and character. He, like Connelly, was ranked high on NHLCS (5th NA for Getzlaf and 6th NA for Connolly) and both are/did going to plummet on draft day because of character issues.

Connolly has lots of baggage, and warranted concerns. He will be on lots of teams ND lists, and some team will get a very good prospect later than his talent should go. If his attitude doesn’t get the better of him, which I don’t think it will, the team will be getting a very large steal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix and Alex1234

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Pronman has been very off for me this year, not that I’ve ever felt he was reliable or good at the scouting aspect, but this year I’ve found myself finding even his reports on what scouts are saying is tilted in ways he wants.

If he likes a guy, he’ll single out and report the positive comments from scouts, even if it’s a minority opinion, and ignore and downplay all the others, likewise with guys he’s lower on.

He’s got a bias selection on what to report and on whom that corresponds with what he thinks about the draft.
Pronman has always been one of the biggest clowns that make prospect reports.

He’s also incapable of taking direct criticism either.

I’ve been criticizing him on these boards for years . His rankings are horrendous

Reactions: Masked

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Pronman has been very off for me this year, not that I’ve ever felt he was reliable or good at the scouting aspect, but this year I’ve found myself finding even his reports on what scouts are saying is tilted in ways he wants.

If he likes a guy, he’ll single out and report the positive comments from scouts, even if it’s a minority opinion, and ignore and downplay all the others, likewise with guys he’s lower on.

He’s got a bias selection on what to report and on whom that corresponds with what he thinks about the draft.
Pronman gained some notoriety thru media I suppose but he's always had his biases ... maybe he is just getting more full of himself. Overrated . Same for your eval of his scouting.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Everybody who has watched hockey for a long time likes what they like in a hockey player. Chris Neil was not a favourite on this board, but he would always get a standing ovation after a fight & they loved him enough to put him in the ring of honour. While lots of people who don't like fighting in hockey & want players to ignore that stuff as JM wanted them to do, don't like players like that. Players however, know the importance of standing up against intimidators.

Every GM has their own way to build an NHL team there is not one way, but there are aspects of the game that if not addressed properly could be a constant achiles heel until it is addressed properly such as goaltending or the right kind of defence corps for the NHL at this time. Scouts too have their own preferences as to what they like in players & some are over the top giddy with skill while others prefer bigger & tougher teams. Like everything else in life it's a balance that matters & players who are determined to win. It is not easy to build a winner, some never get it right.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ice-Tray

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

These guys outside of Bob are the best in the business. I have the same top 3.

But look at 6,7,8

Sennekke
Iginla
Dickinson

The three guys we seem most interested in right in the wheelhouse of our pick. I don’t think any are a reach really

Loach

Jun 9, 2021

These guys outside of Bob are the best in the business. I have the same top 3.

But look at 6,7,8

Sennekke
Iginla
Dickinson

The three guys we seem most interested in right in the wheelhouse of our pick. I don’t think any are a reach really
That kid from Norway is at 24. Would Dickson and him be a good first round? I know nothing. Just want a Viking on defense.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Dickinson and elick or emery would also be a home run
I think so too but .. Going by HockeyProspect's list Elick and Emery are both below RDs Brunicke, Badinka and Roberts. Have to get the Black Book for NHL scout comments. FCHockey who I never regarded near as high as HockeyProspect but they have good prediction results 4-5 years out has Emery at 24 and Elick at 38. HP had Colton Roberts in the 1st round mid season.

HP has Luchanko at 12 and FC has him 32 another significant difference. I think he is closer to a top 15 than way down at the cusp of the 2nd.

OHL coaches poll 2023-24 OHL Coaches Poll Results - Ontario Hockey League
Had Luchanko 2nd in Western Conference in all of Smartest Player, Hardest Worker, and Best Skater

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Inappropriate?
Hmm that’s a bit of an understatement.
That was not the only issue.
There are stories of teammates not wanting to attend events he was a part of.
He was accused of racist slurs (I don’t buy theat there was nothing to that).
He lost the game for Canada.

But yeah posting a pic of a swastika you and your buddy made out of building blocks for everyone to see (cause that’s funny?) is a pretty big red flag on its own.
And he wasn’t just a kid. It was a little over a year ago.
Multiple gms are reported as stating they’re not touching him.
lol made out of building blocks? That’s not NOT funny

Hughes and Fox really struggled these playoffs. If anything I’d say any Dman 6’00 and under who is less than 200 pounds will slip at the draft.

NHL will be returning to the 6’2 210+ pound Dman.
Fox was very clearly laboring. Not sure why he played some games

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
I won’t pretend to know anything about any of the prospects, I just hope they get an impact player and not the safe 4th liner.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I am never a fan of moving back but given there is a lot of smoke around it this year it’s worth talking about. If there was ever a year to do so this might be it with all the uncertainty in the top 10.

That being said even if we only move back 2 spots I want a 2nd round pick. Don’t waste my time offering a 3rd I’d rather trust my scouts and stick and pick the BPA.

This team still lacks talent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad